Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Trunk Button Not Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My physical rear trunk release button stopped working. I can still open the trunk using the touch screen and a Tesla app. Assuming the actual button itself is not to blame, could this be related to failure of the wire harness recall with respect to the rear camera not coming on? Was concerned that if I make a service appointment they would say it’s my bill as my rear camera is in fact still working. Yes, I am out of warranty. (2018 M3 LR RWD 62K miles) I would hope that Tesla would cover the cost since the same wires that connect the trunk release button and the rear camera wiring are all within the same wire harness.
Anyone else share this issue?

Have you verified it doesn’t work when it’s unlocked as well as locked (to make sure it’s not a BT antenna problem)?

I haven’t take the switch out personally, but I would think it’s a pretty easy self diagnosis by pulling it out yourself and testing with a multimeter. Tesla out-of-warranty is a whack-a-mole approach and I could easily see them just start to replace stuff.

Tesla mobile service performed trunk lid harness retrofit/replacement at no cost due to recall. Rear camera and rear trunk button issue resolved. Poor Rear camera connection was also causing Autosteer and TACC to not function. All OK now. Took about 35 minutes to complete.
Tech was extremely efficient and knowledgeable. Was a bit difficult watching him ‘rip apart’ my car! Involved removal of inner trunk lid panel, rear deck interior panel and headliner trim panels on both rear and passenger sides.

Tesla mobile service performed trunk lid harness retrofit/replacement at no cost due to recall. Rear camera and rear trunk button issue resolved. Poor Rear camera connection was also causing Autosteer and TACC to not function. All OK now. Took about 35 minutes to complete.
Tech was extremely efficient and knowledgeable. Was a bit difficult watching him ‘rip apart’ my car! Involved removal of inner trunk lid panel, rear deck interior panel and headliner trim panels on both rear and passenger sides.
Wow! That seems like a lot. Were all those panels reinstalled correctly? I hate it when they remove those pieces because it seems to never go back in the same.