Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinion on PPF on my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks - been doing a bit of running around with a particular shop that did a front bumper PPF for me and I'd like some opinions on whether this is something that can be fixed after the PPF has time to settle and shrink (per the shop) or whether this is just a botched job.

There are several other areas where the shop botched the install and I already had them reapply the film once but they made the same mistake on the second install.

Attachments

• IMG_6345.jpeg
    IMG_6345.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_6347.jpeg
    IMG_6347.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 160
Yeah I was fearful of that. They completely botched the install the first time (blamed it on using an incorrect template) so I gave them another opportunity to correct the mistake. Looks like the second time around is the same sloppy job...not sure why the installer would tell me those creases would settle after several weeks.

Try heating the area a bit with a hair dryer or heat gun, then with the edge a credit card or something similar wrapped in a microfiber cloth, push firmly from the flat/smooth part of the PPF and slide towards the edge of the PPF slowly and hold at the edge for like 15-30 seconds and see if that makes it better.

Reactions: orionsilver
Try heating the area a bit with a hair dryer or heat gun, then with the edge a credit card or something similar wrapped in a microfiber cloth, push firmly from the flat/smooth part of the PPF and slide towards the edge of the PPF slowly and hold at the edge for like 15-30 seconds and see if that makes it better.
good suggestion, I'll give that a shot since it doesn't seem like the shop is really willing to own up to the sloppy job. A bit surprising since they had such good reviews.

That will not work. The film is beyond repair. It needs to be pulled off. The proper precut and a professional are the only way to fix it.

Holy crap that's a terrible job. No amount of time will make those fingers easy to fix, quite the opposite. Do they think that time will make that hair dissappear. You gotta get your money back or at the very least have them pay a professional shop to fix it. I know something about PPF, did my whole car myself: DIY PPF on 2022 Blue Model S
That's my exact argument to them as well. I think it's time to just cut my losses, respectfully request a refund and find a different shop. You did a pretty good job on your Model S - wish I had the patience to do it myself!

Please tell me that wasn’t done by Tinterz?
Nope, never heard of them. I'm going hold off on naming the shop publicly as I want to give them the opportunity to make things right. Happy to share name via PM if anyone would like though.

Reactions: zoomer0056