Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions: Jet Black with or w/o CF exterior accents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Timbrewer

Roadster Signature #29
Jul 7, 2013
Greenbelt, MD, USA
I'm close to buying a jet black roadster and am thinking about the CF exterior package...it seems the CF would be powerfully accented by the jet black finish...but what are your thoughts Tesla Family?:) also has anyone seen the jet black with CF accents to share their views on the "value" of this $9k upgrade?!

TIA
Tim

I have a Jet Black 2.5 without the CF exterior accents. Without having seen it, I tend to think it would be too much black - I suspect that on the Jet Black, they will blend in.

Now Very Orange with exterior CF accents - ooh la la.

Thanks Adiggs, I suspected as much. If I did any anything I would have just done front grill and air intakes...just some touches of CF. But I hear you that it may just get lost in the blackness:)...no sense spending $5k and get nothing from it.

BTW, how are you enjoying the Jet Black? What makes this a premium paint vs the other black they offered? I've never seen it in person..

Tim

Well - if it had been available when I found my Jet Black roadster, ipdamages CPO Very Orange w/ exterior CF would be in my garage instead of the Jet Black :)

Black isn't my first choice, but its definitely among the acceptable colors. The most surprising thing to me about the Jet Black - I never realized black could provide a mirror surface. When it's clean (which it needs frequently - but you already knew that about black), if the sun is at the wrong angle, then even sunglasses aren't enough to look at it. Literally gleams, and could even use it as a mirror. I never thought that would work with black :)

I haven't seen enough Roadsters to provide a comparison.

If you look through this Roadster forum for the thread on detailing / washing / cleaning one's Roadster, early in the thread (first page), there is a link from a detailer showing the work they did to a Jet Black roadster, and some finishing shots. Turns out that they were working on my Jet Black Roadster a few years before it arrived in my garage. The gleam and 'black mirror' effect shows up clearly there.

Here we go:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...iling-a-Roadster?p=52090&viewfull=1#post52090

Picture of #969 at ~500 miles directly at that link, along with a link to the blog post by the detailer with lots more pics. I'm still learning how to make it look that nice (I have lots to learn). Several of the photos in the detailer's blog literally shows the mirror finish (they took a picture of themselves in the 'mirror').

Yeah - Jet Black can be unreal.

EDIT: I found a SECOND Jet Black 2.5 Sport at the Newport Beach Tesla Store this week as I was driving through San Diego as I make my way up and down the coast. #967 is also a Jet Black Sport 2.5, and is either their loaner car or a CPO that they are stocking at that store. First time I saw it, I thought "hey - that's my car. Except I'm sitting in my car" :)

Wow!! I'm getting more excited about the possibility of owning one:) The one I'm looking at has the microfiber interior which I hope looks almost as nice as the leather you have. I can see I will have to find a good detailer in my area because I KNOW I won't do it:) I agree with you now about not adding CF exterior accents to the Jet Black, they would just get lost in all that bright blackness!!

FWIW, I think the carbon fiber accents provide an amazing "pop" on a lighter colored car, but are mostly lost on a dark color. The Lightning Green one at the top of the CPO page is a great example with a lot of pop. The Roadster I bought is Signature Green, which looks almost black except when the light hits it just right. I think the dark color has saved me from the temptation to start adding the carbon fiber and saved me a lot of money, that I am instead wasting on upgrading the stereo to a double Din Pioneer head unit, new speakers and an amp (some temptations just can't be fought).