Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions Wanted: Upgrade to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damn...a service advisor (last Friday) quoted me $3k CAD in Mississauga for the upgrade.
$3k CAD, convert back to USD doesn't equal $1750 USD. So, something doesn't seem right.
Bottomline, I'm just trying to figure out which country is cheaper for my upgrade, given the exchange rate of 1 USD = 1.36 CAD (@ 4/25/2023). Nearest US Tesla service center is ~an hour from me in Rochester (Henrietta), NY.
If your X is a late 2016 "FSD capable" car with the Autopilot 2.0 computer, $3015 CAD is indeed the going rate currently. $2320 CADis for AP1 cars or cars that already have the HW3 autopilot computer.

If your X is a late 2016 "FSD capable" car with the Autopilot 2.0 computer, $3015 CAD is indeed the going rate currently. $2320 CADis for AP1 cars or cars that already have the HW3 autopilot computer.

My 2016 Model S doesn't have FSD and on Autopilot 1.0.

Dude (Service Advisor) didn't even look up my VIN when I asked him in person. It's possible, he just gave me a ball park figure but should have stated "...this is a ball park figure for cars with FSD, blah blah." Tesla's customer service is lacking in my area.

Not just your area. That is the majority, rather than the exception. The good advisors or locations are RARE, and in the case of the people... Once their affinity for customer service is discovered, they will not be there long.

I don't understand why the corporate culture is this way, but I have not seen much to disprove the opinion.

My 2016 Model S doesn't have FSD and on Autopilot 1.0.

Dude (Service Advisor) didn't even look up my VIN when I asked him in person. It's possible, he just gave me a ball park figure but should have stated "...this is a ball park figure for cars with FSD, blah blah." Tesla's customer service is lacking in my area.
Thankfully in this case the information is publicly posted and easily accessible online, so there’s no need to rely on a verbal quote from Todd at the service center.

Not just your area. That is the majority, rather than the exception. The good advisors or locations are RARE, and in the case of the people... Once their affinity for customer service is discovered, they will not be there long.

I don't understand why the corporate culture is this way, but I have not seen much to disprove the opinion.
Agreed to customer service. The build quality isn't there like other European cars either. My wife's 2021 Model 3's trunk has issues after less than a year.
I told her that this will be my last Tesla that I buy for myself. She seems to be a Tesla fangirl.

The strategic advantage of owning a Tesla was the supercharging network, etc. etc. Now, I don't know why I bother. There aren't many charging stations in Western NY and car forced me to make a long ass loop around Western NY (adding 2 hours of time to my trip that I could have done with my previous ICE vehicles). I think living in Cali or a populated area with a lot of supercharging stations might be ok.