Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options & Pricing page updated (2012/01/12)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if they somehow could manufacture the cars in the exact right order, they still have to ship them to customers across the continent. What are the odds they would arrive in anything remotely approximating numerical order?

Hi Doug,

Yes, I believe I already made a similar point. :smile:

I imagine that other processes will create other batching. For example, they will have to wait for sufficient cars to be produced for a given geographical region to permit loading into a car carrier. This will also effect delivery order.

Larry

It looks like 60 kWh pack super charger access has changed from TBD to optional. Someone pointed that out on the official Tesla forums.
Previously it said Optional in the Battery & Performance section and TBD in the Supercharger Access section. I'm still seeing that. Are you seeing something different?

Also, a link to the "pointed that out" post might be helpful so I can follow-up there too.

Last edited:
Previously it said Optional in the Battery & Performance section and TBD in the Supercharger Access section. I'm still seeing that. Are you seeing something different?

Also, a link to the "pointed that out" post might be helpful so I can follow-up there too.
I'm seeing the same thing you are now. I didn't noticed the TBD at the bottom of the page and thought it had changed.

I'll see if I can find that thread but looks like you're right. They need to clarify that on their website. Maybe they'll do that Tuesday during their conference.

They need to clarify that on their website. Maybe they'll do that Tuesday during their conference.
I'd be surprised if they go anywhere near such topics on Tuesday. They need to keep that discussion focused.

Whenever Design Studio is updated (Feb 9?) would be a good time to close the story on the Supercharging situation though. Or maybe slip in another quiet edit to the Options and Pricing page. ;)

It happened with fisker! Granted, a different company and all, but if Tesla batches runs by options and paint, that could very well happen. There's also geography to play a role in who gets their cars first. As long as the sigs are out before P's though, it should be cool.

When I took European delivery of my Saab in Trollhattan, Sweden, I took the factory tour and they showed me how as each car is being built the computer knows what options it gets, whether it's right- or left-side drive, etc. I assumed all cars are built with a similar system rather than batching them together based on options, paint color, etc. Maybe that's only true for more established companies. Of course, Saab didn't survive. :mad:

When I took European delivery of my Saab in Trollhattan, Sweden, I took the factory tour and they showed me how as each car is being built the computer knows what options it gets, whether it's right- or left-side drive, etc. I assumed all cars are built with a similar system rather than batching them together based on options, paint color, etc. Maybe that's only true for more established companies. Of course, Saab didn't survive. :mad:

You assumed wrong then as Subaru deals in batches when they build cars. They do batches of similar colors and features, which is why they have similar looking cars on the lot.

-Shark2k

Thanks for summarizing the changes. I can only hope the removal of any mention of 16GB means that the storage capacity will be increased. It's rather absurd to use just 16GB in this day and age. It'd be akin to going to such great lengths to including as much high-tech innovations as the Model S includes, but opt for a black & white screen for the 17" touch screen. And that's kind of what 16GB of storage is...a stain on all the amazing things put into this thing. It reaks of cheapness. Given how cheap even a 64GB SSD costs, there's simply no excuse for them to include at least 64GB (if not more) of flash storage. And given that they don't need the performance of an SSD, it could even just be low-speed flash storage making it an even bigger head scratcher that they would only include 16GB.

Uh, what? Including 16GB is hardly akin to a black and white screen. I've got an iPod I sync. It's 8GB and aside from when I throw a movie on there I don't fill it up.

Speaking of iPods though, I wonder if the S will have wifi sync so that my music is up to date every time I pull into my driveway

Uh, what? Including 16GB is hardly akin to a black and white screen. I've got an iPod I sync. It's 8GB and aside from when I throw a movie on there I don't fill it up.

Speaking of iPods though, I wonder if the S will have wifi sync so that my music is up to date every time I pull into my driveway

OK, B&W screen is a bit of a stretch but do you realize how cheap it is to purchase a 32GB microSD card? Less than a dollar per GB. And that's how much you or I would pay as a consumer. A bulk rate for Tesla would be far cheaper and they just need the flash storage IC, not a standard card format. It would literally cost just several dollars more to increase the storage capacity which is why it's a bit odd and cheap on their part to go for such a small amount of storage. 16GB is pathetic, and most people would then be forced to use their iPod/iPhone to play music. Hey, if people aren't willing to point out some of these shortcomings with the current specs of the car, then nothing will be done to change them.

I agree that they could do much, much more, and hope they do (the maps and other apps we'll have access to will likely need the space). Perhaps we'll be able to expand it ourselves (unofficially of course). They'll most likely have upgrades down the road though for a price.

I'd think a 64GB (or at least 32 GB) SSD (better no moving parts, I'd think) would be a nice thing to come with the tech package, as it makes it more a built-in computer than just a control panel, the 17" screen being a hallmark, and also since the perception of the tech package is that could be beefed up a bit.

256GB in a car though? Aren't the top iPods less than that?
They are, but just looking forward. What will you need in 5 years, or 10? I know some folks change cars as often as they change their underwear, but I tend to drive mine into the ground (or very nearly so). Will we be storing video content? If there is cloud access and I can download new albums and songs as I want to listen to them, then less storage is fine.

Yea, maybe 256 is reaching, but half that isn't exactly crazy.