Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Northrup Grumman (was Orbital Sciences) Antares / Cygnus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aviation Week article of AJ-26 fire in 2011:
Russian-Built AJ-26 Hardware Caused Test-Stand Fire

And May accident:
Fallout From AJ-26 Test Failure Remains Unclear

Cygnus in Space
Cygnus_Orb.jpg

Cygnus on ground?
Cygnus_gr.jpg

(Orbital sure beat SpaceX in "booster fly back to the launch site" this time)

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/launch-pad-looking-south-after-failure.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasahqphoto/15662941355/sizes/o/ (Original size)

Last edited:
Certainly an engine failure looks like the most probable cause of the incident. There was a flash at the base of the rocket, then boom, then fall from sky, then big kaboom when the fuel tanks split open.

It could be the same failure mode... but I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Lanny posted his video from our excursion earlier.

As Lanny mentioned, I set up on day one at the NASA Visitors Center but it was too far to get a good shot. Lanny stopped at several places looking for the most optimal location and settled on Arbuckle Neck Road. I packed up and made my way to the new site. The first day was scrubbed due to a sailboat in the 'red zone'.

The weather held for the next attempt on the 28th. Here are my photos and video of that day.

Click on the image to go to the image galleries.

2014_10_27_Antares_vlcsnap-2014-10-28-20h29m20s174-2.jpg

I'll also post links to photos of the Tesla Science Center event as soon as I find the correct thread.

Last edited:
@Doug_G Engine failure may end up being the cause but look at this image. There is a jet of fire coming from the side of the rocket. They're going to have to explain this in the final analysis.

2014_10_27_Antares_2T0A1805a1_sm.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

@ecarfan: When you get to my web site (by clicking on the first image - the second image is an artifact I can seem to delete) -- click on the first of three galleries. And then, once inside that first gallery, click on the first image.

Screen shot 2014-10-30 at 9.39.31 PM.png

There is a jet of fire coming from the side of the rocket. They're going to have to explain this in the final analysis.

To me, it looks like normal lox venting +lighting.
normal_lox.jpg

And thank you for great photos and videos! You and Lanny both.

(And trust for Orbital's FTS. I would run immediately after the first sings of Antare's Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly. Ah the smell of Hydrazine in the evening...)

Last edited:
I don't know - if you use a rocket engine that was built 35+ years ago, you really don't know what you're going to get.

Well, if you strip them down, inspect them, x ray them, ultrasound, etc, then you really should have a good idea of their condition.

The question is, while the RD180 which was derived from the NK33 is an excellent engine whose record speaks for itself, maybe this design is too marginal.

And yet, they failed to find flaws in three of those engines. And what to do if they find problems? No one have build those engines last 30-40 years.

And Kuznetsov Design Bureau (NK) say they have no info what modifications Aerojet Rocketdyne (AR) has done to the engines. AR complain how hard it to get solid data from Russia. (It's not like just after collapse of USSR, everything is NOT for sale, especially know how to build rocket engines)

Russian engines are great when they work, but with problems there seems to be wall of ITAR politics or even language between manufacturer and user...

(Yes Jerry, I take it back, this is more worst than Fisker)

Last edited:
Nobody is manufacturing this engine anymore (although Aerojet has offered to work with Kuznetsov to restart production).

Maybe this is a naive question, but if people still want to use this rocket design, why can't Orbital or Aerojet basically copy the design and build their own version stateside? They have enough in storage to breakdown and know the science pretty well at this point, and technology and metallurgy have surely advanced since the 60's to improve on the design and performance specs.