Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order FSD now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got this email from “[email protected]” can anyone verify that this is real before I get scammed?
I bought a PM3 in Feb and I was under the impression that I could buy FSD when available for $2500... and the email says the price is $3k and will increase if not purchased by August 16th...

Attachments

• F8BE0659-B9B9-436A-A78A-94FB043F27D8.jpeg
    F8BE0659-B9B9-436A-A78A-94FB043F27D8.jpeg
    778.9 KB · Views: 125
My e-mail reply Tesla to that same offer to upgrade from EAP to FSD.

When FSD does something other than check a box on a spreadsheet, I’ll purchase it. Your stated schedules are a joke and anyone is a fool the believes you’ll have a specific feature out “in 3 months maybe, 6 months definitely.” You still haven’t done a test run across the US that is years behind schedule.

The only feature currently being discussed that isn't part of the EAP feature that that I already have is reacting to stop signs and stop lights. When that feature is released, I may buy FSD, but I'll try it out on my friend's 3 first (he purchased the FSD upgrade for $2k) before I commit to it. The braking to a complete stop is pretty pathetic (not smooth at all) with EAP, so I almost always disengage it and control the slowing of the car.

Edit: And if they jack the FSD upgrade price to something higher than $3k, I'll wait until they run a sale on the upgrade. By the time I expect FSD to do anything of value, I'll hopefully be ready to replace the 3 with an EV pickup so it's likely a non-issue on the 3.

Reactions: Aellinsar
I see zero value returned now in "upgrading" to FSD. You're basically paying $3k ($4k after mid Aug) for nothing.

Even for new cars with basic AP, it's absolutely not worth paying $6k for auto lane change which somewhat works, slow buggy autopark and useless summon.

Can someone confirm my understanding?: I ordered in February 2018, and at that time the ONLY version for sale was the long range RWD. There were 2 self driving options: enhanced auto pilot (EAP) for $5K, which we bought, and FSD, which we did not. I think the price for FSD was $3K or $5K if I’d bought it when I got the car, and $6K after (maybe?)

I also THINK that in March 2019 I could have upgraded to FSD for $2K, but I missed that announcement.

Now I can log in and see FSD upgrade is $3K (which, if I’m right, is less than the $6k it was before July, but more than the $2K I could have got it for in March, briefly?).

I also see that the only difference for an early buyer like me between EAP and FSD is city driving (because EAP has navigate on autopilot, summon and auto park), but does the $3K also get me new hardware, as suggested in This story today: Tesla plans to increase its Full Self-Driving price again on August 16 — Electrek

More importantly, if Elon’s dream of a Tesla fleet that makes owners money as Uber cars becomes a reality, will only those 3s with the FSD be able to participate?

I really don’t know what to do here. As an early buyer, I kind of got screwed with paying way more than someone buying today (I’d like to double down by getting a second $35 base version, now that base color is white), and FSD seems just as far away now as when I took delivery in early 2018 (no car crossed the country later that year, or this year), and I don’t want to overpay twice. I’d also hate to pay $3k now, and find out in 2020 that FSD is now free if you had EAP.

I also see that the only difference for an early buyer like me between EAP and FSD is city driving (because EAP has navigate on autopilot, summon and auto park), but does the $3K also get me new hardware
Yes, it gets you a new more powerful computer. But you won’t see any changes after installing that until the FSDC firmware (for autonomous city driving) is released. And it likely will be released in stages, in the same way that Auto Pilot has been incrementally improved over the past several years.
More importantly, if Elon’s dream of a Tesla fleet that makes owners money as Uber cars becomes a reality, will only those 3s with the FSD be able to participate?
Yes. FSDC will be required if you want to rent out your car in the manner Elon has described.

However, autonomous driving (with no human in the driver’s seat or a human who doesn’t have to pay attention) will have to be approved by regulators and lawmakers before it is allowed. Don’t assume that just because Tesla has released FSDC with the capability to do fully autonomous driving that means your car can do that on a public road.

I really don’t know what to do here. As an early buyer, I kind of got screwed with paying way more than someone buying today
I was an early 3 buyer and I don’t feel screwed at all. Yes, prices have come down. That’s great! More people can afford Teslas, or Auto Pilot, or FSDC. That’s a good thing.

Thanks ecarfan.
When the FSD price goes up on August 16(?), is it known what it goes up TO? I think I read somewhere $4K, but it was $6K, and if it’s really going UP, wouldn’t it be more than that? Or, because when I bought the car I was told “if you buy later, it’s $6K”, can I rely on that as a ceiling?

My e-mail reply Tesla to that same offer to upgrade from EAP to FSD.

The only feature currently being discussed that isn't part of the EAP feature that that I already have is reacting to stop signs and stop lights. When that feature is released, I may buy FSD, but I'll try it out on my friend's 3 first (he purchased the FSD upgrade for $2k) before I commit to it. The braking to a complete stop is pretty pathetic (not smooth at all) with EAP, so I almost always disengage it and control the slowing of the car.

Edit: And if they jack the FSD upgrade price to something higher than $3k, I'll wait until they run a sale on the upgrade. By the time I expect FSD to do anything of value, I'll hopefully be ready to replace the 3 with an EV pickup so it's likely a non-issue on the 3.

I’ve been on the fence and decided a couple weeks ago that $6K (for me to get FSD) is a gamble not worth taking. Autosteer and the general dynamics of the Model 3 is fine for me. It’s a GREAT car to ACTUALLY DRIVE! Plus, I’ll spend a portion of that savings on 3-season wheels/tires relegating the 18” wheels for winter snows. I have a fear that the idiotic US DOT will squash Tesla advancing to FSD and autonomous driving vehicles anyway, but only time will tell.

I’ve been on the fence and decided a couple weeks ago that $6K (for me to get FSD) is a gamble not worth taking. Autosteer and the general dynamics of the Model 3 is fine for me. It’s a GREAT car to ACTUALLY DRIVE! Plus, I’ll spend a portion of that savings on 3-season wheels/tires relegating the 18” wheels for winter snows. I have a fear that the idiotic US DOT will squash Tesla advancing to FSD and autonomous driving vehicles anyway, but only time will tell.

Same here. I feel like I am one of the minority around here that actually enjoys driving. I didn't buy a M3P+ to sit back and babysit it while it drives. The standard AP with Autosteer on the highway to help reduce driving fatigue is all I need. Summon and Autopark sounds cool but I would never use it. I don't have the nerve to see if my $60k car will successfully make it to the front of the restaurant instead of walking 100 feet to go get it.

As for AutoPark, my understanding it that it only backs into parking spots and you have drive past the spot, get the car to recognize an available spot, etc. I don't have the patience for that, I would just park the darn car. The future FSD stop light/stop sign detection features are pretty cool but it is another one of those features where you are closely monitoring the situation so it is easier to just control the car yourself. NoA is pretty nice but again how much should one have to pay to auto lane change and take an exit vs. just doing it yourself? Not trying to rain on the parade, I just don't see the value for me yet. I think they should just include these FSD features at no cost to help drive sales or let us subscribe to the features we want.

Thanks ecarfan.
When the FSD price goes up on August 16(?), is it known what it goes up TO? I think I read somewhere $4K, but it was $6K, and if it’s really going UP, wouldn’t it be more than that? Or, because when I bought the car I was told “if you buy later, it’s $6K”, can I rely on that as a ceiling?

I don't think there's any ceiling, or any numbers you can count on for more than a few weeks.

It's still $6k - for folks that don't already have eAP - and if Elon's tweet from last month is correct, it'll be $7k for them in a week or so.

That might mean it'll be $4k for folks with eAP then, or it might be $3k or $7k. Tesla pricing is not terribly predictable in the best of times.

It might very easily be more than the $6k if Tesla gets real Level 3 or Level 4 functionality operational and approved; I certainly wouldn't take that as any ceiling guarantee.

Same here. I feel like I am one of the minority around here that actually enjoys driving. I didn't buy a M3P+ to sit back and babysit it while it drives. The standard AP with Autosteer on the highway to help reduce driving fatigue is all I need. Summon and Autopark sounds cool but I would never use it. I don't have the nerve to see if my $60k car will successfully make it to the front of the restaurant instead of walking 100 feet to go get it.

As for AutoPark, my understanding it that it only backs into parking spots and you have drive past the spot, get the car to recognize an available spot, etc. I don't have the patience for that, I would just park the darn car. The future FSD stop light/stop sign detection features are pretty cool but it is another one of those features where you are closely monitoring the situation so it is easier to just control the car yourself. NoA is pretty nice but again how much should one have to pay to auto lane change and take an exit vs. just doing it yourself? Not trying to rain on the parade, I just don't see the value for me yet. I think they should just include these FSD features at no cost to help drive sales or let us subscribe to the features we want.

My thoughts as well. I have EAP on my Mid-Range(selling) and AP on P3D-. Only and only thing I miss on AP is lane change. Don’t care about summon, auto park and NoAP.

Maybe Tesla can bring back EAP for $3k and/or being in a-la-carte features pricing so everyone can pick and choose.

Not paying $6k for something which is long into future.

Quoting you quoting me. :D Man, with the price jump now imminent, I started questioning myself again and went to my account page, looked at the FSD checkbox, and then came here. So, thanks for your post. Perhaps one day FSD will really be what it claims it will be, and will no doubt be more $ to purchase (unless they offer incentives … who knows … you know Tesla), but I just go back time and again to these basic fundamentals: fantastic car. exciting and a joy to drive, I can drive far better than the automatic stuff and can certainly do it more efficiently. I know I'm in the minority here too but one should not be trying to keep up with the Joneses. Someone here once equated EAP/FSD with being a passenger in a car piloted by a novice 17 Y.O. – YIKES, WTF are you doing?! Someday, it'll be perfected but not in my lifetime. I hope Tesla shares the forthcoming red light/stop sign awareness to Autosteerers, for safety reasons.

Quoting you quoting me. :D Man, with the price jump now imminent, I started questioning myself again and went to my account page, looked at the FSD checkbox, and then came here. So, thanks for your post. Perhaps one day FSD will really be what it claims it will be, and will no doubt be more $ to purchase (unless they offer incentives … who knows … you know Tesla), but I just go back time and again to these basic fundamentals: fantastic car. exciting and a joy to drive, I can drive far better than the automatic stuff and can certainly do it more efficiently. I know I'm in the minority here too but one should not be trying to keep up with the Joneses. Someone here once equated EAP/FSD with being a passenger in a car piloted by a novice 17 Y.O. – YIKES, WTF are you doing?! Someday, it'll be perfected but not in my lifetime. I hope Tesla shares the forthcoming red light/stop sign awareness to Autosteerers, for safety reasons.

I actually enjoy driving and the Model 3 is one of the most enjoyable cars I have ever driven. The concept of FSD is pretty cool but I just think there is so much more they have to solve before it becomes a reality for city driving. Keeping the car in its lane on the highway is one thing navigating a crowded parking lot or parking garage is another.

FSD, regardless of the marketing name, still means that I will have to watch the system like a hawk and be paranoid that my car will actually stop at a red light, properly time the yellow light, avoid potholes, stay out of blind spots, yield to bikers and pedestrians, etc. It is less stressful to just drive in a defensive manner as it is second nature. It is also kind of boring to just sit there. You can't really zone out and play on your phone like a passenger, so you just sit there and babysit every move the vehicle makes and intervene when necessary.

Reactions: Cobalt3
When I ordered my Model 3 last year, I paid the $5k for EAP and wasn't interested in buying FSD when I was getting nothing for it. But then Tesla had the $2k FSD deal for certain owners and I bought it, only because it includes the new hardware. Now I'm wondering when I'll get this new hardware, the new Model 3's have it, so where is mine? But honestly I doubt regulators will even approve FSD for another 10 years and a 2018 Model 3 will be technologically dated by then. So, if I had it to do again, I wouldn't have bought FSD because EAP gave me a lot more functionality than AP does for new buyers now.

I’m curious if EAP has “ended” with the current features and anything going forward (nav on city streets, stop light recognition) will be FSD customers onwards. In that case the $3k now vs $4k later might have some worth to it...

The car will continue to get better at doing the things it does, but once smart summon is released I don't think eAP is going to get any more new features. Certainly the ones you mentioned will be FSD only.