Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered 11/8, got assigned 56xxx VIN, concerned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VINs are definitely not sequential. My 119k vin still takes another 2 weeks to get to me but there's already a 128k vin available in NJ plus it's Silver which hasn't been orderable in some time.

i placed my order on 10/28 and took delivery on 11/9, vin is 79xxx
dual motor, enhanced autopilot, performance upgrade, white interior upgrade, obsidian black paint

Attachments

• DrtnoNkX4AA-9tb.jpg
    DrtnoNkX4AA-9tb.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 51
  • DrtnoNlX4AAco7Y.jpg
    DrtnoNlX4AAco7Y.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 34
Speculation - Tesla might be sweeping up low VINs that had been correlated with early orders that were stuck in the pipeline. Many complaints in 3Q from people who ordered in June and were never contacted by Tesla to schedule delivery.

At the time, Tesla seemed to explicitly schedule production with each vehicle intended to fulfill a particular order. I could see them using the VIN as the vehicle ID from the start. Customer wouldn't have been advised of VIN until the assigned vehicle was in production.

Would this mean early orders are getting cancelled? Or that Tesla is finally shaking those orders loose and handling them within their current business model, "We'll manufacture a batch of cars, then assign each vehicle to delivery based on customer paperwork and payment readiness and logistic capacity."