Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered a new P100DL to replace my 2015 90D. What's changed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just placed an order last week for a new P100DL to replace my 2015 90D. It was a hard decision since I really love my car, but depreciation had already taken > 60% so I didn't want to wait any longer. Plus the free ludicrous and 5k supercharging made it as good a time as any.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has gone through a similar upgrade about what you've been most and least happy with in terms of changes.

• I know that AP2 was really not great for a while compared to my radar-based AP1, but I should be getting 3.0 which I hear is much better now.
  • I know that the new "vegan leather" seats don't quite feel right compared to my next gen leather seats but I'm guessing I'll adjust. (I just hope they kept the firm bolsters since I really find those quite comfortable.)
  • I have no idea what to expect with the new suspension, but I don't know if anyone else does either yet. I had the air suspension on my 2015 and I really liked it, though I don't do a lot of "spirited" driving.
  • I had the old "yacht floor" option and I kind of got used to having that open space for storage, but I believe the new center console is built in now and can't really be removed. (and I don't know for sure that I'd want it to, it just does feel a tiny bit more closed in when I sit in one of the newer models now)
  • I decided to stick with the 19" wheels since I know that the 21" used to be rather noisy when I bought my first one. I'm guessing nothing has changed on that front, but if anyone has gone to the 21" and been happy with it I'd love to hear your experiences as well. I'm definitely considering it.

Reactions: SmartElectric
(1) You mention 5K Mile Supercharging... I think there are some restrictions on as to when you need to use the all or loose it. someone mentioned you have 6 months and after that it's gone.

(2) AP3 (now called FSD) chip won't do much for you vs... all of us with AP2.5 because the software is not using it's capability just yet which is why the retrofits for all of us with AP2 and AP2.5 (who has FSD) hasn't been scheduled. Regardless, AP2/2.5 is pretty amazing right now and you'll get to experience that like the rest of us...

(3) You're going to get some serious milage increases with the new drive units and inverters. That should be pretty cool.

(4) ... and finally the MCU/2 is a HUGE improvement over your older MCU/1. You'll see once you get it!

Congrats on your new Model S Performance w/Ludicrous!

(1) You mention 5K Mile Supercharging... I think there are some restrictions on as to when you need to use the all or loose it. someone mentioned you have 6 months and after that it's gone.

You're right. I just pulled up the t&c's for the referral bonus:

Free Supercharger miles will apply to any vehicles on the same account, and will expire 6 months after the miles are added. Each additional referral will extend the expiration date by 6 months.

Which is a bit irritating, but I'll be perfectly happy to do two nice road trips in the first 6 months at least.

The new seats are Tesla's own seats now, and the non-leather seats are quite helpful in our goals of leaving a useable planet for others:

Bangladesh’s leather industry exposes workers and children to toxic hazards

And:

www.cowspiracy.com/facts

Also, the 21" now have a foam liner, greatly contributing to the noise reduction. I'd consider keeping your old 21" wheels and swapping the standard tires on to your old car perhaps, unless you're trading it in. Tesla might not like the "wrong" wheels on the car as it'll probably mess up their database.

You'll love your new car. There are some 20 hardware changes a week, IIRC, that Tesla makes on their cars--most are invisible, but make the cars faster, lighter, stronger, and better.

I believe Elon mentioned something like a "Version 4" Model S a few months ago, given the large number of changes made to the cars.

I'm thinking about doing the same upgrade from my 2017 75D. Seems like a great deal with the free ludicrous upgrade and 500% referral bonus - not to mention all of the other updates in only the past year and a half.

You may also get a higher max charging speed with the new 100 kWh battery pack. Not sure if the old 90D battery would be able to do the full 150 kW on v2 superchargers or 200 kW on v3 superchargers.

While the pre-installed FSD computer (aka hardware 3) won't make much of a difference yet until the software takes full advantage of it, you may be one of the first owners to get the new FSD features enabled since you won't have to wait for the computer upgrade. I'm hoping that's the case, since it will be great to get early access to these features for my YouTube channel where I do extensive Autopilot testing.

Along with the new motors and drivetrain, they're supposed to be including better tires to "improve range, ride and steering", but I'm unsure if this applies to the performance models since they said it's only for "certain variants."

There are probably even more minor improvements since 2015 that I'm not aware of. I know they're constantly tweaking and replacing certain parts all the time. I'm really interested to see how this new suspension performs on the highway and during "spirited" driving and the MCU upgrade will be awesome since the lag in the MCU1 has always bothered me.

I'm not sure if they still offer carbon fiber interior trim and ventilated seats in the performance models. I know that used to be included but I don't see it mentioned on the website anymore.

No, unfortunately. I asked the sales guy if that was still an "off the menu" option, but he said they're just not available at all anymore.
That's too bad about the sunroof. I personally prefer the all glass roof but it's a shame that they've removed it for those who like it.

Did you happen to ask about other potential "off the menu" options like ventilated seats and carbon fiber interior trim? There's also no mention on the website of a spoiler for the performance Model S. I tried calling the local sales line today but couldn't reach anyone, so I'm planning on going to my local showroom tomorrow. I hope you got a good trade-in value for your 90D. I'm hoping my recent accident (dented rear quarter panel) doesn't reduce the trade-in value of mine too much. Luckily I bought FSD when it was only $2500 CAD so hopefully that adds some extra value, now that they're charging $7900 for the software update.

I’m in the same boat as OP. I just ordered a Performance model w/ free Ludicrous last week to replace my 10/15 build P90DL. Although my current car doesn’t have the latest tech, there was nothing specifically wrong with the vehicle. But enough has changed in the last 3+ years that upgrading adds quite a bit (HW3/FSD, MCU2, increased range, faster supercharging, Adaptive Suspension, Bioweapon Defense Mode, and more power!). Free Ludicrous tipped me over the edge. And thanks @zanary for answering my questions.

The things I will miss most on my current car: Free supercharging, yacht floor, and leather seats (yes, I’m a monster).

I asked the Sales Advisor about ordering Carbon Fiber “off menu”, but no confirmation yet. I don’t love the wood trim that comes as the only trim option for the Performance model. But you can’t have it all.

No, unfortunately. I asked the sales guy if that was still an "off the menu" option, but he said they're just not available at all anymore.

If you like having a sunroof, this would be the only drawback. (Hope they add the sunroof back, as it is would be a required feature for us if we buy another Model S!)

Other than that, just about every aspect of the car is improved. I personally really like the center console though I wish they made better use of the space but it is great to be able to "hide" my USB drives, cables, wires, and other stuff without leaving it all open to slosh around as you drive.

Also we have the new "cowless" seats and love them. Honestly, I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference. They are that good.

Also good call on sticking with the 19" wheels. We did the same.

Congrats on your car!

@amalinovich Congrats on the upgrade you won't regret it especially coming from a non-performance car to the P100DL! That said I made a video outlining the notable differences from older cars to the new P100D take a look when you get a chance.

In addition to the points mentioned in the video here are some additional points to consider:

Center console isn't as usable as I would have liked. Although the yacht floor was wide open there was much more that could be done with it. The position for your phone with the console is unusable and your phone will get displaced from the dock or fumble around anywhere else especially when driving spirited, they solve this with the model 3 console. You will have the new HW3/FSD computer which like AP2 has a catch up period before it is as good as AP2.x hardware. The new motors are supposed to be "slightly" quicker but have not tested how much. You WILL get headaches if you launch often ;). Lastly 19's are good but to truly feel the power and performance you want a set of 21's and set the suspension to low and prepare for face cramps from all the smiling! Enjoy!

@amalinovich Congrats on the upgrade you won't regret it especially coming from a non-performance car to the P100DL! That said I made a video outlining the notable differences from older cars to the new P100D take a look when you get a chance.

In addition to the points mentioned in the video here are some additional points to consider:

Center console isn't as usable as I would have liked. Although the yacht floor was wide open there was much more that could be done with it. The position for your phone with the console is unusable and your phone will get displaced from the dock or fumble around anywhere else especially when driving spirited, they solve this with the model 3 console. You will have the new HW3/FSD computer which like AP2 has a catch up period before it is as good as AP2.x hardware. The new motors are supposed to be "slightly" quicker but have not tested how much. You WILL get headaches if you launch often ;). Lastly 19's are good but to truly feel the power and performance you want a set of 21's and set the suspension to low and prepare for face cramps from all the smiling! Enjoy!

What's more important than 21" or 19" wheel comparison IMHO are the type of tires used. People talk a lot about wheel sizes but not much about the actual tires. Switching to 19" wheels with proper performance oriented tires is perhaps the best "upgrade" we made.

Also those 21" wheel would never have lasted long on our poorly maintained streets anyway.

I’m in the same boat as OP. I just ordered a Performance model w/ free Ludicrous last week to replace my 10/15 build P90DL. Although my current car doesn’t have the latest tech, there was nothing specifically wrong with the vehicle. But enough has changed in the last 3+ years that upgrading adds quite a bit (HW3/FSD, MCU2, increased range, faster supercharging, Adaptive Suspension, Bioweapon Defense Mode, and more power!). Free Ludicrous tipped me over the edge. And thanks @zanary for answering my questions.

The things I will miss most on my current car: Free supercharging, yacht floor, and leather seats (yes, I’m a monster).

I asked the Sales Advisor about ordering Carbon Fiber “off menu”, but no confirmation yet. I don’t love the wood trim that comes as the only trim option for the Performance model. But you can’t have it all.

Same here. My only concern was that the interior refresh would be incredibly nice and include som very cool new features. My thinking is that Free Ludi will be a limited time offering and that prices might go up when the refresh comes. In the end of the day, not many features would beat ludicrous mode.

Upgrading from 2015 P85DL.