Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered Solar panel installation without Powerwall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ampster

Supporting Member
This is a follow on to another thread where it was discussed after the announcement that Tesla was only taking Solar install orders if there was a Powerwall. I was successful in placing the order for an 8kW system without a Powerwall and go an automated response with an actual person. I will see how this goes. It is a new home so there is not history but I have two Teslas to charge and am planning to convert my FAU, my clothes dryer and my water heater to electric.

I thought I would update this single post to provide closure for future readers.
Subsequent to the automated response from what I thought was an actual person, I got a design which had half the system panels on the north eastern face of my roof. I looked on pvwatts and calculated the hit that my production would take versus other alternatives. I never heard back but did get a copy of the contract that I had apparently signed by checking some box. It gave me the usual three days to cancel.

I did cancel not just because of the design but because I know I have to change out the main service panel and probably move it so it is 36 inches from the natural gas riser. This is going to be tricky to coordinate and the main reason I cancelled is I need more control over the process. I think I have found a local guy that has the hourly resources to help me do a self install and I should be able to bring it in for the same price as the Tesla quote. I am still a big fan of Tesla but this job did not fit their cookie cutter approach.

I was able to get Tesla to do what I wanted, but took multiple emails and calls. I wanted more panels on the backside, facing west... They kept saying they could not do it. Yet, in the optional layout for 12kw system had more panels on west facing. Annoying it took nearly a month just to get that one change done. They completed the install yesterday, and had no issues placing those additional panels facing west. Overall happy with the install, but customer service is lacking.

My original layout had panels on the east side vs south. There were lots of space on the south side but the conduit run is much longer than where their original design had it. I asked them change it. Ran pvwatts with theirs and mine and showed them the difference and submitted their layout drawing modified with my proposed layout. They accepted the change within a day.

I had to have main service panel upgrade and that was a bit of a pain but not unreasonably so.

Reactions: Ampster