Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering an X. Towing a little trailer. A few questions.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks. Looks like we will add to the Tesla stable and order a model X. We intend to pull a trailer about 4100 pounds with a hitch weight of about 390 pounds. A few questions to those towing.

Do you use a weight distribution hitch and if so which one. We are experienced towers and no the importance of sway control. However, our initial inclination is to not use a weight distribution hitch but instead use a tongue mounted sway control, an electric Sway control or both. Thoughts?

What does the trailer mode do.

What brake control do you use.

I’m familiar with the expected range loss. But feel free to make comments. We tour camp so usually never travel more than 200 kilometers in a day.

Towing a standard width trailer (8 feet) will we need mirror extensions. We expect we will.

Feel free to comment on anything else.

Thanks in advance from both of us.

Hi folks. Looks like we will add to the Tesla stable and order a model X. We intend to pull a trailer about 4100 pounds with a hitch weight of about 390 pounds. A few questions to those towing.

Do you use a weight distribution hitch and if so which one. We are experienced towers and no the importance of sway control. However, our initial inclination is to not use a weight distribution hitch but instead use a tongue mounted sway control, an electric Sway control or both. Thoughts?

What does the trailer mode do.

What brake control do you use.

I’m familiar with the expected range loss. But feel free to make comments. We tour camp so usually never travel more than 200 kilometers in a day.

Towing a standard width trailer (8 feet) will we need mirror extensions. We expect we will.

Feel free to comment on anything else.

Thanks in advance from both of us.
I wouldn’t, nor does the manufacturer recommend, a weight distribution hitch with an air suspension system.

For a trailer that size you should be fine with a frame-mounted sway control device.

Another point to consider, towing 4000+ lbs with a model X LR is going to cut your range down to about 100-150 miles depending on weather and elevation conditions.

Trailer mode deactivates the rear parking sensors and disables some of the autopilot features. To my knowledge it has no impact on driving dynamics like some other manufacturers.

I have used a Tekonsha P3 brake controller with my Tesla and have no complaints

I wouldn’t, nor does the manufacturer recommend, a weight distribution hitch with an air suspension system.

For a trailer that size you should be fine with a frame-mounted sway control device.

Another point to consider, towing 4000+ lbs with a model X LR is going to cut your range down to about 100-150 miles depending on weather and elevation conditions.

Thank you for the reply and the info on the WDH. I kinda thought so. Re the range, no worries, where we travel and camp if you travel 200 kilometers you have already passed 5 amazing camping areas and missed 50 great trails. When we tour camp it takes us a month to make a round trip of 1000 kilometers. :)

Thanks again.

teknosha is pretty much the gold standard of brake controllers. there is a standard hookup under the front dash, but you'll need to wire it up. the tow package (as I have learned) offers anti-sway control, but will not control electric trailer brakes.

i dont think you will need mirror extensions. you can adjust the mirrors out to track the perimeter of the trailer.

personally, i would not tow a large trailer with the X for long distances. sure it can tow (and I do locally), but I would not long distances. I'd be curious if you can make your 200km range towing. I saw substantial efficiency lost towing an open car trailer traveling maybe 160km

teknosha is pretty much the gold standard of brake controllers. there is a standard hookup under the front dash, but you'll need to wire it up. the tow package (as I have learned) offers anti-sway control, but will not control electric trailer brakes.

i dont think you will need mirror extensions. you can adjust the mirrors out to track the perimeter of the trailer.

personally, i would not tow a large trailer with the X for long distances. sure it can tow (and I do locally), but I would not long distances. I'd be curious if you can make your 200km range towing. I saw substantial efficiency lost towing an open car trailer traveling maybe 160km
Does the car auto level after the weight is added to the hitch?

Does the car auto level after the weight is added to the hitch?
mine did, but I don't have the "tow software" enabled. i'm not 100% sure, but it looks like it only disables auto adjustment within certain params

Tesla-Model-X-Trailer-Mode.jpg