Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering LRY or Performance Y? Tax credit related

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ready to pull the trigger on the Y to replace my 4 years old model 3 dual motor. With the price difference of only $4k between LR and Performance (only $2k difference if you upgrade to the 20” wheels on the LR), it’s a no brainer to go with the performance Y. However, the delivery date for the performance Y is too soon, I’d rather wait until next year to take delivery for the new tax credit, and only LRY fits that window. So here’s my dilemma: 1. get the car I really want with no tax break. 2. get the car that fits what my need and with the strong possibility of getting that tax credit. Which one will you go with? Also just how probably is the Y even getting a tax credit next year?

For those who ask why not just wait until next Jan to place order for the performance Y, well my wife finally gave me the green light to place the order, so got to strike while the irons hot so to speak LOL.

Reactions: Bob2C
Assuming you’re financing, the longer you wait, the higher the interest rate will likely be. Used car values are also dropping fast so you may want to try to get some estimates fast.

If you’re open to used, you can now find some 2022 Y LRs, with less than 1k miles, for cheaper than the current reserve price. You could find a relatively new car that’s thousands cheaper than new, at the lowest rate for the near future, and with the max value of your trade in.

Unless you’re paying cash, I think folks waiting til 2023 are in for some disappointment once you factor in multiple rate increases and rapidly declining trade in values. Even under the best scenario of a full $7500, it may actually costs you more to wait till 2023 than buying today (assuming Tesla doesn’t lower prices.)

Last edited: