Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering Steps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Evening all,
Very close to order a Model Y LR from inventory.
Is there a step by step instruction on here somewhere that takes one thru the process?
When does it ask for a referal code? IF your doing bank financing, hows it actually go about doing that? Whats it ask for?
When do you get your VIN so you can setup insurance?
Is it better to do the order on their website or on the cell phone App?
Many many questions. :)
Thanks in advance.
Deasun

I think a lot of the process prob depends on how you are paying for the car, if you have a trade in, and if it’s an inventory car. I paid cash w/o trade in for an inventory car from the iPhone app on a Sunday (I was actually in a parking lot waiting for my kids to finish a game) and picked up the car the next day at 11:30 AM. I got the VIN, IIRC, right after I paid the $250 order fee. There was some electronic paperwork in app which took about 5 minutes the AM I picked up the car but not much other than that. The app walked me through the process, including paying for the car. Prob the best car purchase process I’ve experienced. I’ve heard you have to have proof of insurance…but, TBH, I don’t remember giving that to Tesla (though I did have coverage in place the day I picked it up anyway and would have brought that with me so maybe I did show it to them).

You have to use a referral link as the first step. You cannot input a referral in the middle of the buying process or after the order. The referral link will take you to the Tesla website and then you can browse for the inventory car after that. It should say something like xxxxx’s referral applied at the top of the website.

Once you make the order and download the app, the app will walk you through all the required next steps.

For an inventory car, everything moves very quickly. Easiest way is to use Teslas financing partners. If you want to use outside financing, then get pre approved before you order and be able to get that finalized immediately after Tesla issues you the VIN and final purchase order. They don’t give you much time and might release the car for someone else to buy if you don’t complete the purchase steps within like 3 days.

• Informative
Reactions: fredzos and ucmndd
Evening all,
Very close to order a Model Y LR from inventory.
Is there a step by step instruction on here somewhere that takes one thru the process?
When does it ask for a referal code? IF your doing bank financing, hows it actually go about doing that? Whats it ask for?
When do you get your VIN so you can setup insurance?
Is it better to do the order on their website or on the cell phone App?
Many many questions. :)
Thanks in advance.
Deasun
Since you are in NJ, you would be better off driving to the nearest Tesla SC and start the order process there. You can ask as many questions as you have. They will ask for your drivers license, cell number, and a credit card. You will be provided with the order number. Their assistance makes the process much easier. If you spot any errors they can immediately make corrections. If you do it on your own, good luck in trying to obtain a correction over the phone.

• Informative
Reactions: fredzos and mborkow