Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oregon road trip - rerouted mid trip to different SC - Range miscalculation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for some insight into why our MY thought it could make it to a specific supercharger, but suddenly mid-way there changed and thought we wouldn’t arrive.

Here’s what happened:
• We charged at a SC in Springfield, OR to 100%. The plan was to take hwy 58 east to the next SC in Klamath Falls, OR.
• Tesla said it would arrive with 22% remaining charge.
• About 30 minutes up hwy 58, suddenly tesla rerouted to Bend, OR which is about 50 miles north (the wrong way) from where hwy 58 ends.

Trying to figure out why the car thought we could make it to Klamath Falls with plenty of leftover battery and then changed its mind.

The posted speed limit on hwy 58 is 55mph, but we were traveling around 68mph. Could it be that if we just stuck to the speed limit we could have made it to Klamath Falls?

Thanks for your insight, sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread.

… We ended up turning around to go back (west) down hwy 58 toward Eugene, and to take the 5 freeway.

Um. The car does take note of driving habits, ups and down mountains or whatever, as well as the weather. It also looks for congestion at Superchargers.

I'm usually bombing around the East Coast where SCs are relatively dense; pretty much every trip starts off with one set of Superchargers then the Car Will Change Its Mind and decide that another SC would be better. And 50 miles on, change its mind again.

In your case it had you going severely out of your way. Before doing that, I would have checked the Energy screen (touch the icon with the little dots, center bottom of the screen; Energy will be one of the many other icons that one can touch).

The Energy screen has both a Consumption graph which displays both the advertised W-hr/mile as a dotted line and a jaggy line showing the W-hr/mile over various ranges, from 5 to 50 miles. If you know how far you're going from where you're at at the moment to your destination, taking a look-see at that will give a decent idea (plus a little math) to see if you'll Make It.

There's also a more complex screen that allows one to peek into the car's brain: It'll show 6 or 8 different factors that are affecting your range at the moment, and that includes driving speed and terrain. Again, studying this screen a bit may have simply shown that you'll make it to the next SC with a couple-five percent to spare; or not.

when it does odd things, sometimes I’ll route to my desired charger and then hit “remove supercharger stops” to give me a better idea what is going on.

Driving faster will definitely eat power. Usually it says something like “maintain speed Limit to reach destination” and not reroute. Until it decides it can’t and reroutes.

Reactions: RTPEV and moa999
when it does odd things, sometimes I’ll route to my desired charger and then hit “remove supercharger stops” to give me a better idea what is going on.

Driving faster will definitely eat power. Usually it says something like “maintain speed Limit to reach destination” and not reroute. Until it decides it can’t and reroutes.
Oh, will definitely check that out, good to know! Thank you @brkaus

Using ABRP, I cannot see a way for a standard range MY to make the route that you describe, even if it is set not to exceed the speed limit and zero battery degradation. A M3LR could do it, but not the Y. ABRP would have you divert to Bend as well.

I tried planning the same route using the Tesla App and it thinks I could make the trip with 10% remaining.

I have had issues with the standard range MY planner being too optimistic, so I use ABRP to cross check the Tesla planner. In my case, with a standard range MY, I would not attempt that route.