Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Original Tesla Roadster Carbon Fiber Hardtop For Sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_1667.jpeg
Reason for Selling: My father and I looked for several years for an original carbon fiber Tesla hardtop for our Thunder Grey 2008 Validation Prototype Tesla Roadster (Roadster #VP30). We came across this hardtop which was painted light blue and intended to have it repainted in gloss black. While the top was in transit, we came across another unpainted carbon fiber hardtop and also purchased that one since we had been searching for years for an original Tesla hardtop for the car. As a result, we ended up with two hardtops and are willing to part with the light blue one.

If you are looking for an original Tesla carbon fiber painted hardtop to keep your Roadster original, this is a great option, although it may be more expensive than other after market options (e.g. Mr. Fiat) after you factor in the repaint.

Chipping in the Paint: The light blue hardtop has some chips in the paint which are shown in the photos. This did not bother us since we were going to repaint the hardtop in gloss black anyways. We did obtain an estimate for the repair and repainting from Avio’s Coachcraft for approximately $1,100 (Avio’s only works on high end exotic cars). We suspect that this can be done for substantially less at a different place. However, we are happy to coordinate the repair for the buyer with Avio (see below).

What’s Included: 1) The Painted Fiberglass Hardtop 2) All of the Hardware to attach the top to the car (two rear screws and clips, two front screws and pole clips, center front panel and three fastener screws). FYI- The blue hardtop came missing all of the mounting screws. We procured the LAST available screws through Tesla many months ago, so these are also very RARE parts and would be difficult parts to fabricate from scratch.

Shipping: Shipping can be arranged. Free local pickup is recommended in the Los Angeles area. Please message us so we can arrange a place to meet or discuss shipping options.

Repair: We would love to see this hardtop restored properly at Avio’s and are willing to repair the chips and repaint the hardtop gloss black for an additional $1,000 (the estimate we have is over $1,100, so we are bearing the cost differential). Gloss black would look great on any color Roadster. If you want to have the top painted to match your roadster, we can try to accommodate that as well, but will not guarantee or provide any warranty that this will exactly match your car.

Payment: We can accept Paypal, Zelle, Wire Transfer, or a Check. We can accept a credit card for an additional 3% to cover the credit card fee.

Please Message Us Before Purchasing the Hardtop

AJ/Son - (310)-968-5792

IMG_1669.jpeg

IMG_1651.jpeg

You mention "carbon fiber" in the subject and throughout the post, although I'm not seeing a carbon fiber hardtop; am I missing something? Also, did you forget to list the actual cost?
All Roadster hard tops were carbon fiber. Some of them were painted like this one. Some of them were clear coat only. The OP should try to correct his accidental reference to "Fiberglass" in the description.

I don't know what he's asking but new it was $3,500 and the clear coat CF was $5,000. The hard top is a little quieter than the soft top. It's warmer, too if you live where that matters.

Hi, the top is made of carbon fiber- I should have taken a picture of the bottom that is unpainted to show that. I paid $1,995 for the top originally from a private party and another $100-200 for the missing hardware to secure it to the vehicle from Tesla (which I waited about 2 months for them to find the last set). I paid substantially more for the clear coat carbon fiber top that I am keeping. I am happy to entertain a reasonable offer on the top.

Reactions: AtAge19
Hi, the top is made of carbon fiber- I should have taken a picture of the bottom that is unpainted to show that. I paid $1,995 for the top originally from a private party and another $100-200 for the missing hardware to secure it to the vehicle from Tesla (which I waited about 2 months for them to find the last set). I paid substantially more for the clear coat carbon fiber top that I am keeping. I am happy to entertain a reasonable offer on the top.

@Jmatise,

Very interested. When you get a moment, may you please P.M. interior photos of the Tesla Roadster Hardtop, A.S.A.P.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Sincerely,

- P.