Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OT dumping ground (no cats please - they are sacred creatures)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I’ll use this thread to dump the two question I wrote on round table that weren’t answered.

1. The “computer”/“brain” Tesla is asking to be exempted from Chinese tariffs, what is it, the MCU, the new AP3 chip?

2. The European model 3’s are not backward compatible with the European super chargers?

"Foreign firms file record number of patent applications in China
11 Jan 2019 at 14:00
WRITER: SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST

A total of 148,000 patent applications were filed by foreign companies in 2018, according to figures from the National Intellectual Property Administration released on Thursday. This was 9.1% higher than the previous year’s total.

Foreign companies also lodged 244,000 trademark applications last year, about 16.5% more than in the previous year. [...]

“Usually the number of patent applications filed by foreigners is widely seen as an indicator or barometer of business environment for foreign investment,” Bi Nan, the administration’s director for planning and development, told a press conference in Beijing.

“The numbers mean that China’s business environment is improving, and we are expecting growth to continue in the medium and long term,” he said. [...]

Foreign firms file record number of patent applications in China

Honestly if such practice is so common, instead of average they should use some other measure as consensus:

1) Just use the mean. This way outlier from both side would not be able the manipulate the true expectation as much unless they become the overwhelming majority.

2) Weighted average, with weight calculated based on past performance. The firms that consistently miss the reality by big margin would be assigned a lower weight so that their number do not carry as much impact to the average.

Alternatively might as well find a simple linear ML model and train on past data, just that you may need to do a weight re-normalization if you are missing inputs from some of the previous firms.

If someone can supply me the past estimates from different firms I can try and train a simple linear model for best estimate prediction.

mean=average.

Did you want to say median ?

The discussion of such things of means and medians always reminds me of a particular verse of Watsky - Whoa Whoa Whoa