Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ottosteer Tesla Model 3 Front License Plate Bracket?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
why do you need this? model 3 should come with a front license plate holder in canada shouldnt it?

If @verystandard is like me, they don't love the idea of sticky tape on the included bracket going on their nicely painted bumper.

I use the Ottosteer bracket (non magnetic) and am very happy with it. It allowed me to attach the plate without anything touching the paint. I much prefer that.

I didn't see the need for the magnetic version, as I don't plan on removing the plate ...

I didn't see the need for the magnetic version, as I don't plan on removing the plate ...

I'm actually about to order and wondering the benefit of magnetic other than ease of removal, which I wouldn't plan to do that much.

What about when washing the car? To me, you'd still have to remove the safety pin but perhaps the wear on the bolt threads would be less...is that worth the extra $40? Maybe I'm missing something?

I'm actually about to order and wondering the benefit of magnetic other than ease of removal, which I wouldn't plan to do that much.

What about when washing the car? To me, you'd still have to remove the safety pin but perhaps the wear on the bolt threads would be less...is that worth the extra $40? Maybe I'm missing something?

Haven’t had an issue yet with washing etc. Worst case, I end up with one plate again. LOL!

I think most folks don’t use the safety screws since the magnets are strong enough. This way it’s easy to remove the bracket when washing or for whatever reason.

Universal Front License Plate Bracket | Craig's Custom Mustang Brackets, used this universal bracket for the 1st time today in downtown SF when I had a wedding event to attend as the meter maids are ticket nazi's out there. $50 or so and super easy to install and remove. Another user shared pics here with it on and off (not my Model 3).

How are you liking it so far @laudbrian? Would you reccomend it over other quick release plates (Ottosteer, Snaplate, etc.)? Thanks!

I bought the magnetic when I bought my 3 - while installing I emailed Ottosteer because it seemed it might rub on the car when you hit bumps or high wind/speed. They never replied. I was busy and just said F it and installed it.

6 months later you can see it's GRINDING AWAY MY PAINT

SO I SPENT $80 TO AVOID FACTORY MOUNT ADHESIVE ON PAINT AND INSTEAD JUST STRAIGHT UP RUB MY PAINT OFF

emailed Ottosteer again with this picture and video and they again havent replied (been over a week). They DID reply about their toll tag mount that doesnt even stay put in the car, so specifically choose to ignore this fatal flaw of their mount.

This photo is a bit tough to see but that's after a car-wash perfectly clean, and it's more noticeable in person. Site won't let me upload the video of how easy it is to push on the plate and make it hit the bumper in the exact spot of this damage.

Attachments

• 37E5AD10-E091-41FF-AFF1-61E273E61B9D.JPG
    37E5AD10-E091-41FF-AFF1-61E273E61B9D.JPG
    482.1 KB · Views: 249
  • Informative
Reactions: hellocar
I should also add, the Ottosteer has silver bolts that are clearly visible from the front (you can see in the picture in my last post).

They come with these little plastic covers to hide the bolts...they barely stayed on new, and after 6 months ALL of them are gone (I havent removed the mount once in that time)

Further, on the OttoSteer website is an install video where theyre saying you can 'optionally' add some protective felt to the back of the plate. I did this. My paint still got damaged

I've had my magnetic Ottosteer plate holder for about a year, it's worked great. No paint issues. All the bolt covers are gone, which is slightly annoying, but they're not critical to the point of it: hold the plate without forcing me to damage the front bumper, and allow me to quickly remove it when washing the car.