TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Our Model S just had its anniversary, on Election Day... 3rd year service and motor whine.

Discussion in 'Model S' started by AEdennis, Nov 10, 2016.

1. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

To provide some sanity to the wait for election results in the US, I wrote the following blog post regarding our third year anniversary of our Model S.

Service, as usual, was superb and we had a motor whine that will require a return for a replacement motor.

At pickup at the Fremont factory on Day 1:

[​IMG]IMG_5283 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

And upon return at home on November 8, 2016 (3rd Anniversary)

[​IMG]IMG_20161108_132822 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

We've had the motor replaced on the car's 25k mile service, but now have a wait for parts for the replacement motor for this issue.

2. Dr. Smoke

Dr. Smoke Member

Did you look at the motor, by chance?

Mine has a leaking seal where the CV goes into the diff. I suspect loss of oil is at least one reason for these diff problems. Mine doesn't whine yet and I'm blacklisted, so I'd better get that replaced.

3. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

It was in for service and the service center is taking care of it.

4. Gig103

Gig103 Member

Motor whine? Is that like the "warp speed" sound the motors make when accelerating, or something else? I just took delivery of mine and if that sound isn't normal I better show up.

5. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

There is a normal amount of whine... then when it I is too loud, they fix it.

We've had the car for three years, and it's definitely louder than it has ever been...