Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our Model S just had its anniversary, on Election Day... 3rd year service and motor whine.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AEdennis

Jul 23, 2013
To provide some sanity to the wait for election results in the US, I wrote the following blog post regarding our third year anniversary of our Model S.

Service, as usual, was superb and we had a motor whine that will require a return for a replacement motor.

At pickup at the Fremont factory on Day 1:

IMG_5283 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

And upon return at home on November 8, 2016 (3rd Anniversary)

IMG_20161108_132822 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

We've had the motor replaced on the car's 25k mile service, but now have a wait for parts for the replacement motor for this issue.

Did you look at the motor, by chance?

Mine has a leaking seal where the CV goes into the diff. I suspect loss of oil is at least one reason for these diff problems. Mine doesn't whine yet and I'm blacklisted, so I'd better get that replaced.

Motor whine? Is that like the "warp speed" sound the motors make when accelerating, or something else? I just took delivery of mine and if that sound isn't normal I better show up.

There is a normal amount of whine... then when it I is too loud, they fix it.

We've had the car for three years, and it's definitely louder than it has ever been...