Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our MY is a day old, how would you proceed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've stated in previous threads that I'm not one for going through with a white glove and check listing delivery items. It was cloudy, and we weren't rushed by our delivery guy. We spent time looking it over for anything obvious, but nothing stood out. Our SA said any issues in the first few days just to bring back and they will take care of.

Now that we've had a chance to drive the car home, and during a very bright day here in Indiana we've noticed 3 slight issues we may need to address. I'm looking for advice on others who have had similar issues, and where you focus your attention during your service visits.

1. Car has a slight misalignment (only 2 miles on the car so I'm sure no one in QA drove it enough to notice). Pulls to the left.

2. This is our first Tesla in cold weather, so we put the windows up and closed the doors while exiting. Then we noticed "zpzzpt" the windows come down slightly. We know this is part of the icing avoidance - However the passenger window lowers farther than the driver side and sticks our slightly. Should this be of any concern or worry here?

3. As I was taking pictures I noticed a slight "indention" on the front windshield where it meets up with the roof of the car. This seems like it may be an issue but is it a risk for them to replace a brand new cars windshield this early?

Also Tesla Service (the app) has been great in communicating - however the invoice reads north of $1400 - I'm assuming all of this will be covered. We are still under 100miles and only had the vehicle for one day. Our Sales Associate said we would be fine, but I can't get anyone to commit to that on my text messages. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1172.PNG
    IMG_1172.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 570
  • IMG_1169.JPG
    IMG_1169.JPG
    677.8 KB · Views: 411
1) Request that Tesla Service performs a wheel alignment. If Tesla refuses, have it done by any reputable tire service center.

2)) Try calibrating the power window actuators. See Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual:

Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

3) I can't tell from your photo about the extent of the surface defect in the windshield. Replacing the windshield on a new Tesla vehicle unless indicated by a crack or other major defect has the potential for going poorly. If the windshield cracks and Tesla determines that this was not due to a stone chip or other impact or someone walking on or kicking in the glass then Tesla would replace the windshield. For all other minor issues, let it go.

Reactions: SalisburySam
1. Car has a slight misalignment (only 2 miles on the car so I'm sure no one in QA drove it enough to notice). Pulls to the left.
Also Tesla Service (the app) has been great in communicating - however the invoice reads north of $1400 - I'm assuming all of this will be covered.
Mine was delivered with poor alignment as well. They had no problem adjusting it for free.

Add your other concerns to the same service request. They will take a look, but some of that stuff they may just ignore until it gets worse.

As already noted above, the estimate always shows the full price but warranty work will be zeroed out.

Mine was delivered with poor alignment as well. They had no problem adjusting it for free.

Add your other concerns to the same service request. They will take a look, but some of that stuff they may just ignore until it gets worse.

As already noted above, the estimate always shows the full price but warranty work will be zeroed out.
This is great to hear. I don't want to be a squeaky wheel but I at least want it documented.

Safe to do on my own?
Yes.

Go to your vehicle info page within the on screen display. Tap and hold your finger on the 'model Y' words until you see what looks like a "puddle" happen behind your finger, release and type in 'service'. agree to the prompts. Click on the red icon gear wrench if the screen doesn't come up. Look through the menus on the left side of this service menu and you'll see one with the window icon. Within that section, tap calibrate and enjoy a smart car doing smart things. :)

Reactions: mspohr
Yes.

Go to your vehicle info page within the on screen display. Tap and hold your finger on the 'model Y' words until you see what looks like a "puddle" happen behind your finger, release and type in 'service'. agree to the prompts. Click on the red icon gear wrench if the screen doesn't come up. Look through the menus on the left side of this service menu and you'll see one with the window icon. Within that section, tap calibrate and enjoy a smart car doing smart things. :)
Awesome. Thank you for that. I'll try tonight. :)

Reactions: buckets0fun
This is great to hear. I don't want to be a squeaky wheel but I at least want it documented.
Glad to help. Also, I guess you can change your signature here now. I see you waited most of a year; congratulations on finally getting your white/white MYLR! I expect you'll also have the patience for at least a couple of service visits for warranty work. You've actually got a very short list there; mine was much longer but they still got all but one issue (paint) handled within three visits over three months.

Glad to help. Also, I guess you can change your signature here now. I see you waited most of a year, congratulations on finally getting your white/white MYLR! I expect you'll also have the patience for at least a couple of service visits for warranty work. You've actually got a very short list there; mine was much longer but they still got all but one issue (paint) handled within three visits over three months.
I guess I need to! Ya, we held our order to cancel in February and then the price dropped - we lucked out. Ya other than that the car is create.
I may walk down the path of some foam/neoprene tubing to try and kill some of the whistle/wind noise at some point but not a priority - just alignment and that windshield that scares me the most.

I guess I need to! Ya, we held our order to cancel in February and then the price dropped - we lucked out. Ya other than that the car is create.
I may walk down the path of some foam/neoprene tubing to try and kill some of the whistle/wind noise at some point but not a priority - just alignment and that windshield that scares me the most.
The windshield is common on recent Y glass. likely a mold / supplier issue. Be glad it doesn't stick up from the roof glass.

The side window alignment / wind noise can be fixed by adjusting the glass itself. This is something you'd want to have the SC deal with.

The windshield is common on recent Y glass. likely a mold / supplier issue. Be glad it doesn't stick up from the roof glass.

The side window alignment / wind noise can be fixed by adjusting the glass itself. This is something you'd want to have the SC deal with.
Would you just let the windshield go without being replaced. I am going in tomorrow looks like.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Would you just let the windshield go without being replaced. I am going in tomorrow looks like.
I would make some noise about that, more than once if necessary, and not just for my OCD lol. It's actually a safety concern: the windshield wipers will leave that area dirty.

Add all of these concerns to your service ticket now if the app will let you. Officially they can't add stuff after you arrive. When it's small stuff they often do, but replacing a windshield is not small stuff.

I would make some noise about that, more than once if necessary, and not just for my OCD lol. It's actually a safety concern: the windshield wipers will leave that area dirty.
I'd bet dollars to donuts that the springs in the wiper arms allow that few mm of deviation.

The next windshield will stick above the second panel, or worse, have a major distortion between the laminated layers /right/ in the driver's line of sight.