Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of state purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also have a home in North Carolina but it is not my primary residence. I can put that address in the registration information and it looks like I can proceed to registration. But I'm not going to register in NC. I'm want to register in Florida, my primary residence
when you pick the car from the inventory, before you make a selection, you need to filter it by the zip code.
This gives you the selection which vehicle is FL registration eligible.

If you made a wrong selection, they will assign to the similar or very close to the selected one with your zip code eligible purchase.

when you pick the car from the inventory, before you make a selection, you need to filter it by the zip code.
This gives you the selection which vehicle is FL registration eligible.

If you made a wrong selection, they will assign to the similar or very close to the selected one with your zip code eligible purchase.
Thanks. I checked for available in my zip code and there is nothing similar. Different colors inside and out and no fsd models available. I wonder if they will hold my deposit in my account until sometime similar is available. Also,the models available in Tampa are more expensive with more miles

Thanks. I checked for available in my zip code and there is nothing similar. Different colors inside and out and no fsd models available. I wonder if they will hold my deposit in my account until sometime similar is available. Also,the models available in Tampa are more expensive with more miles
I guess in that case they will build and ship a brand new vehicle, which may eliminate your inventory discount.
I would suggest insisting to keep the inventory discount if possible.

In the last six months I have purchased two inventory Model Y’s in Florida and had them registered in another state that the Tesla website says that I can’t register in based on the delivery location. All I had to do was reply to the TA text message that I want to register in another state and they were able to manually process the registration. I assume that this is not uncommon as there are many situations where one might live in a state where they are not a resident (student, military…)

This explains a lot as well if you read this.

I'm in SC but bought mine in Charlotte, NC. It took almost the entire 30 days but Tesla mailed me all the documents I needed for me to go register the car myself in SC. It was an easy process.

Riving this old thread for an update. Scenario: Ordering a CT from the app or website, self financed. Goal is to pickup in Austin so I can get a wrap done there.
Ive purchased vehicles from texas before. The texas dealer gave me temp plates and i registred it/sales tax in my home state.
Anyone processed a scenario like this?

Reactions: tander
Riving this old thread for an update. Scenario: Ordering a CT from the app or website, self financed. Goal is to pickup in Austin so I can get a wrap done there.
Ive purchased vehicles from texas before. The texas dealer gave me temp plates and i registred it/sales tax in my home state.
Anyone processed a scenario like this?
Did you end up doing it? I picked up a MY in Denver in early 23' and it was a big hassle in terms of getting someone that would say yes to it but really smooth pickup experience once someone say okay. I think part of the trouble is some people are try to avoid taxes in their home state, I just wanted to make a one way road trip out of it, hopefully will be able to do it in the future too.

Did you end up doing it? I picked up a MY in Denver in early 23' and it was a big hassle in terms of getting someone that would say yes to it but really smooth pickup experience once someone say okay. I think part of the trouble is some people are try to avoid taxes in their home state, I just wanted to make a one way road trip out of it, hopefully will be able to do it in the future too.
not yet, but how did you find the okay person?