Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outdoor charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realize that Superchargers and other commercial chargers are located out of doors. Yet I want to verify that placing my home plug NEMA, not HPWC, in a carport that is not enclosed, on a side where rain and infrequent snow might get it wet, is not a problem. I am prepping for arrival. Additionally, can a NEMA plug be just outside on a pole with a weather face cover with no roof covering overhead?

I have an outdoor charger at home (sunny southern California though). The electrician installed it in a plastic box with cover like the one FlasherZ posted. But now I wonder...is it safe to charge while it's raining? (those 3 days a year it rains in LA).

Here's my rig:

Screen Shot 2014-05-09 at 8.09.15 PM.png

DSC_3189.JPG

DSC_3191.JPG

Here’s my driveway charging station.

925EB474-73DC-4529-9F0B-ADEA1C7D5D88.jpeg
Materials: 4x4 treated lumber posts supporting an oak tree slice. Flagstone leftover from patio project. River rocks. Repurposed metal garden hose holder. A few wood screws.
The rocks will prevent mud splashing in rain.
AAA01263-4162-44C2-AC76-AE36D4E24B8E.jpeg
Will upload future photo after the drought tolerant rock geranium is planted. EBD93577-FEAF-4D3C-AD78-E915612577BD.jpeg There will be more shade in the future when the tree overhead spreads out.
Rear view:
DAF84240-930D-44EB-A653-3BDD697419B1.jpeg

Reactions: Cosmacelf
#arrtsci, seems like you have a LOT of time to devote to your beautiful Tesla. I thought I was obsessed, but you might have me beat. Do you have a full time job, or do you just play with your car? Just curious.

Actually I have more than a full time job — I’m the senior partner in a consulting firm and travel frequently. On a plane now as I write this post. Each of the mods I make is carefully planned and I’ve learned to work patiently and efficiently. The carbon fiber charge port took two months to make in spare time over weekends. And I am obsessed and have a kind of engineer’s mind — always thinking of improvements to every piece of hardware I touch:)

Just a suggestion for anyone charging their Tesla or otherwise using a mains supply outdoors or anywhere close to water, it may be a good idea to ensure that the mains circuit is protected with a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI). These are also known as Residual Current Devices (RCD) and Residual-Current Circuit Breakers (RCCB). Even if this is not a requirement of local wiring codes/regulations, it is still a sensible precaution.

I’m still waiting on my M3. Configured on 04.13 but as of this post haven’t received a call or been assigned a VIN. But, when I do get it I don’t have a garage in my townhome community. Currently I have requested putting in a charging unit, and am still waiting to get a response. While I hope I get a thumbs up I’m not holding my breath. But, I have talked with an electrician and have a good looking option. See here: Townhouse install - Google Drive

Because we are seeing a lot of people looking at moving to replacing an ICE car for an EV a large number of them live in multi-residential communities where a garage is not an option. However, these people are living at the whim of HOAs and face a denial just ‘cause.

Currently I approached my delegate for Northern Virginia to introduce legislation allowing townhome and condo owners the ability to install charging units in their communites. He has agreed to introduce it.

This is something we should all be doing to allow the continued expansion of EVs for everyone.

I realize that Superchargers and other commercial chargers are located out of doors. Yet I want to verify that placing my home plug NEMA, not HPWC, in a carport that is not enclosed, on a side where rain and infrequent snow might get it wet, is not a problem. I am prepping for arrival. Additionally, can a NEMA plug be just outside on a pole with a weather face cover with no roof covering overhead?
Yes it can but protection is helpful. There are thousands of NEMA 14-50’s in campgrounds and VERY few are weather protected. And they normally work just fine.