Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outdoor Plug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any of you have an outdoor 14-50 plug for your mobile chargers? Looking for some ideas on what to put out there that's weather proof and would be CSA approved.
This looks ok, but I would rather have something that's GFCI protected (GFCI breaker for my type of panel is $200 lol)
Outdoor NEMA 6-50R 240V Socket Kit

Any suggestions are appreciated.

That one is for a 6-50 plug, not 14-50. It's also 3x the price of the equivalent 14-50 available online from Home Depot. I've purchased three so far, have been using them (2 outdoor, 1 indoor) for several years with no issues.

GE 50 Amp Temporary RV Power Outlet-U054P - The Home Depot

Edit: they also offer a super plug-in station with GFCI and 50/30/20 amp plugs, for $157, and various other models:
GE 100 Amp 3-Space 3-Circuit 240-Volt Unmetered RV Outlet Box with 50/30/20 Amp GCFI Circuit Protected Receptacles-GE1LU532SS - The Home Depot

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: doubeld
That one is for a 6-50 plug, not 14-50. It's also 3x the price of the equivalent 14-50 available online from Home Depot. I've purchased three so far, have been using them (2 outdoor, 1 indoor) for several years with no issues.

GE 50 Amp Temporary RV Power Outlet-U054P - The Home Depot

Ya I just noticed that was a 6-50, bummer.
What you link is good but it's not CSA approved (Ontario electrical code). Ideally I would get that outlet, hooked up to a 50 amp spa panel to act as the shut off and GFCI protection, but again, both are not CSA approved.

Spa Panel:
Midwest Electric Products 50 Amp 240-Volt 240-Watt Non-Fuse Metallic Spa Panel Disconnect with GFI-UG412RMW250P - The Home Depot

Looking for some Ontario resident suggestions!
Thanks

Ya I just noticed that was a 6-50, bummer.
What you link is good but it's not CSA approved (Ontario electrical code). Ideally I would get that outlet, hooked up to a 50 amp spa panel to act as the shut off and GFCI protection, but again, both are not CSA approved.

Spa Panel:
Midwest Electric Products 50 Amp 240-Volt 240-Watt Non-Fuse Metallic Spa Panel Disconnect with GFI-UG412RMW250P - The Home Depot

Looking for some Ontario resident suggestions!
Thanks

Sorry was scanning the new posts page, didn't notice this was for Canada... good luck!

Any of you have an outdoor 14-50 plug for your mobile chargers? Looking for some ideas on what to put out there that's weather proof and would be CSA approved.
This looks ok, but I would rather have something that's GFCI protected (GFCI breaker for my type of panel is $200 lol)
Outdoor NEMA 6-50R 240V Socket Kit

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I paid $850 for an electrician (Vancouver) to run a line from my panel to the outside of my house and put a 14-50 plug. Talk to an electrician. Shop around there are some out there that over charge because you have a Tesla.

Don't make my mistake. I bought a clear plastic cover for my outside 14-50R receptacle as per image below. Problem : In direct sunlight during the day, the receptacle is baked to high temperature through the clear plastic cover. The Tesla charging cord will detect the heat of the outlet and drop available power until the receptacle cools down as the sun sets. Annoying for sure, but the Tesla cord 14-50 (6-50, etc) adapter is designed to detect this heat due to poor outlet wiring/contacts to avoid fires that started at the receptacle like that experienced by an early Tesla owner in Toronto.

Solution, paint the clear cover white.

p_1000857207.jpg

• Informative
Thanks for "the plug"

I am the Canadian industrial rep for Midwest; the one with the duck on it. It's not available in retail outlets....but yes it is on Amazon.ca
Since the OP says they are in Ontario......Most electrical wholesalers in Ontario can source this from us. Some (Nedco, Trimate Electric, Vaughan Electric) stock this. It's in stock at our Milton warehouse
It's a U054P and sells for $45-$55

Note - If it's outside, you'll need a disconnect switch within sight of the plug. Best bet is to hire an electrician.

• Funny
Thanks for "the plug"

I am the Canadian industrial rep for Midwest; the one with the duck on it. It's not available in retail outlets....but yes it is on Amazon.ca
Since the OP says they are in Ontario......Most electrical wholesalers in Ontario can source this from us. Some (Nedco, Trimate Electric, Vaughan Electric) stock this. It's in stock at our Milton warehouse
It's a U054P and sells for $45-$55

Note - If it's outside, you'll need a disconnect switch within sight of the plug. Best bet is to hire an electrician.

Thanks for the info! I think I can get access to a wholesaler.
Does Midwest also have a 50 amp spa panel with gfci in Canada like I see at home depot in the states? I only see the Eaton one here. This would satisfy a disconnect correct?
If you do and it's available at a wholesaler what price would I expect.
Thanks again this is very helpful

Thanks for the info! I think I can get access to a wholesaler.
Does Midwest also have a 50 amp spa panel with gfci in Canada like I see at home depot in the states? I only see the Eaton one here. This would satisfy a disconnect correct?
If you do and it's available at a wholesaler what price would I expect.
Thanks again this is very helpful
Yes, a 50 amp spa panel is commonly used as a disconnect for a 40 amp HPWC, or NEMA 14-50 receptacle. Midwest's spa panel is currently "recertifying". The production was moved to Mexico, and the spa panels (50 and 60 amp) need to re-apply for cUL approval. Saying that, Eaton, Schneider, and Siemens all sell these in Canada. These spa panels usually sell for $125-$150. YMMV.