Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outside speaker.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that Teslas in USA built after 9/2019 have outside speaker. I have 2020 Y built in July 2020. I do not have a speaker. Did they not add it to the Y in 2019? Do others that have 2020 Y not have speaker?
According to this thread, Tesla will install the speaker if you want, for a fee ($200 is mentioned). My summer 2020 MY doesn’t have the speaker either but I believe all Y’s are wired for it, so it should be a simple retrofit.

I have an early 2020 MY LR. It did not come with an external speaker. I bought a used one on eBay and installed it. It then works sometimes. It's supposed to work whenever you are in reverse to make a sound for pedestrians. It also worked for boom box and light show. But, after a week or two it stops working completely. If you reboot the screen/system, it usually returns, but then shuts itself off again? Anyone know what needs to be done to turn it on so it stays??

I have an early 2020 MY LR. It did not come with an external speaker. I bought a used one on eBay and installed it. It then works sometimes. It's supposed to work whenever you are in reverse to make a sound for pedestrians. It also worked for boom box and light show. But, after a week or two it stops working completely. If you reboot the screen/system, it usually returns, but then shuts itself off again? Anyone know what needs to be done to turn it on so it stays??
This is kind of the issue with several features that have been removed or retrofitted - they don't consistently work. In some cases, people have retrofitted (for example) the passenger's side lumbar support, which was removed some time early last year, I think. It may or may not work, as their car's VIN doesn't support that feature. In your case, it's similar - your VIN doesn't support the external speaker. I'm surprised it works at all. In some cases, retrofitted items may work until the next SW update. It's just a function of a SW-run vehicle, I'm afraid....