Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outside Storage During Winter Months (Charging?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, just picked up my MYP yesterday. I don't plan on using it during the winter months here in Massachusetts unless the roads are dry and temps are above 45 degrees (because of the stock tires).

I will have the car covered, but it will be outside.

Questions:
- Should I keep the car charging the entire time?
- Do I need to move the car a bit every once in a while so the tires aren't in the same position for long?

Any other tips/suggestions?

Thank you!

Re car covers - these can rub against the vehicle and damage the paint over time. Car covers can also trap moisture although some fabrics do breathe. The only car finish safe car cover is a tent that the vehicle can be driven into.

Re charging - Tesla recommends leaving the Tesla vehicle plugged in but if your turn off Sentry Mode and Summon mode the power drain is minimal, i.e. ~1% per day. You may only need to plug in the Tesla once or twice a week to maintain the battery charge. Regarding the battery charge if you will not be driving the vehicle then set the battery charging limit to 50%. Don't leave the battery charged to 90% all of the time while parked or fully charged to 100% unless you will be driving the vehicle within the next 12 to 24 hours.

Re tires - Tires can develop flat spots when the vehicle is parked for an extended period. Ideally you would want to drive the vehicle at least every week or 10 days.

Re rodents (mice, rats, pack rats, chipmunks, squirrels, etc.) - These small animals can get into the underside compartments, even the passenger compartment of a vehicle in search of food, shelter and nesting material. It only takes a tiny passage hole for a mouse to get into a vehicle. Rodents will make short work of the soy based wired insulation used in modern vehicles. This is another reason to drive the vehicle regularly and not park in the same spot all of t he time.

Upvote 0
Re car covers - these can rub against the vehicle and damage the paint over time. Car covers can also trap moisture although some fabrics do breathe. The only car finish safe car cover is a tent that the vehicle can be driven into.

Re charging - Tesla recommends leaving the Tesla vehicle plugged in but if your turn off Sentry Mode and Summon mode the power drain is minimal, i.e. ~1% per day. You may only need to plug in the Tesla once or twice a week to maintain the battery charge. Regarding the battery charge if you will not be driving the vehicle then set the battery charging limit to 50%. Don't leave the battery charged to 90% all of the time while parked or fully charged to 100% unless you will be driving the vehicle within the next 12 to 24 hours.

Re tires - Tires can develop flat spots when the vehicle is parked for an extended period. Ideally you would want to drive the vehicle at least every week or 10 days.

Re rodents (mice, rats, pack rats, chipmunks, squirrels, etc.) - These small animals can get into the underside compartments, even the passenger compartment of a vehicle in search of food, shelter and nesting material. It only takes a tiny passage hole for a mouse to get into a vehicle. Rodents will make short work of the soy based wired insulation used in modern vehicles. This is another reason to drive the vehicle regularly and not park in the same spot all of t he time.
Thank you very much for the detailed response! For now, this is my only option (unless I buy another set of winter wheels/tires), so I'll need to think of ways to deter rodents. Didn't even think of that one!

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for the detailed response! For now, this is my only option (unless I buy another set of winter wheels/tires), so I'll need to think of ways to deter rodents. Didn't even think of that one!
Just buy the winter tires/wheels. You shouldn't even be rolling those summer tires during the dead of winter in Massachusetts. I feel bad enough storing them in my garage unloaded all winter.

Upvote 0