Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overnight Outage and Notifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps what support was trying to communicate (but perhaps not understanding fully) is that, at least in my experience, outages of ~5 minutes or less are not accompanied by a notification in the app. Only once the outage exceeds that threshold do I get a notification.

I should have been clearer. ALL outages show up in history. If the outages are LESS that 6 minutes, they said I will NOT get "Notifications."

Bumping this thread, because I am now starting to get Stormwatch Notifications, and this is new. In the past week, my powerwalls have gone into stormwatch mode twice due to high wind warnings. Both times, the powerwall went into stormwatch in charging in the middle of the night (around 3-4am). Both times, when I woke up and looked at my phone, I saw a notification on my lock screen (iPhone) that looked like this:
View attachment 640509

This is new behavior, as I have never been notified of stormwatch charging before. I would normally notice it when opening my tesla app and seeing the "stormwatch" banner active on the powerwall in the tesla app.

Interestingly enough, once I unlock my phone, that notification is gone, and I cant find a way to look at it again. Unlike other notifications on my home screen it disappears even if I dont clear it. My car charging notifications from the tesla app (for example) do not disappear until I clear them, just like the rest of my notifications.

I checked the energy product notifications in the tesla app and there are no new selections there, only "power outage" is available under energy notifications, so there is no choices there, and I havent changed anything regarding that.
Those are the same type of notifications that we used to get. Hopefully they've fixed the issue and we start seeing them again.
Well clearly that's not true:

View attachment 640537
Our system has never down an outage of less than 5 minutes and we've had over 850 outages. It's probably a configurable setting somewhere.

Those are the same type of notifications that we used to get. Hopefully they've fixed the issue and we start seeing them again.

Our system has never down an outage of less than 5 minutes and we've had over 850 outages. It's probably a configurable setting somewhere.

I agree with you that it must be a configurable setting, "somewhere" (on tesla's end), because in my tesla app, it looks just like the capture from @power.saver . I have several outages reported in the app much shorter than 5 minutes, although I have never received a notification of an outage shorter than that.

It does seem like there is a configuration in the gateway (gateway 1 anyway) for this. As far as I can tell, whenever our system has an outage - whether caused by the grid or triggered manually - it waits 5 minutes before trying to re-establish. So, even a brief flicker in the power creates a 5-minute (sometimes 6) outage for us. Others, as shown above, do not have that behavior. While all these events are logged in the app, we only get notifications if it goes beyond that 5-6 minute interval.

It does seem like there is a configuration in the gateway (gateway 1 anyway) for this. As far as I can tell, whenever our system has an outage - whether caused by the grid or triggered manually - it waits 5 minutes before trying to re-establish. So, even a brief flicker in the power creates a 5-minute (sometimes 6) outage for us. Others, as shown above, do not have that behavior. While all these events are logged in the app, we only get notifications if it goes beyond that 5-6 minute interval.

This is the behavior is defined in IEEE 1547 for "return to service", which is a common standard in the US for grid interconnection:

"The default “Return to Service” setting on both legacy IEEE 1547-2003 and newer IEEE 1547-2018 DERs is a 300-second delay" Report (nerc.com)

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
This is the behavior is defined in IEEE 1547 for "return to service", which is a common standard in the US for grid interconnection:

"The default “Return to Service” setting on both legacy IEEE 1547-2003 and newer IEEE 1547-2018 DERs is a 300-second delay" Report (nerc.com)
That makes sense, but it is interesting that it seems like either Tesla does not implement it where it is not required, or there is something different about the setup of some installs that does not require this delay since others see shorter delays logged.

That makes sense, but it is interesting that it seems like either Tesla does not implement it where it is not required, or there is something different about the setup of some installs that does not require this delay since others see shorter delays logged.

There are different "ride through" levels as well for over or under voltage and frequency. It's possible that the Powerwall detects an "outage" for that period of time but remains connected to the grid. See pages 4 and 5 "Mandatory Voltage Tripping Requirements" which show allowable ranges and default settings, for the small over and under voltages the trip time is 13 seconds and 21 seconds, respectively.

Additionally the IEEE 1547 spec provides ranges and defaults, the Authority Governing Interconnection Requirements (AGIR) is the one that dictates what your grid tied device should and can be set to which you signed to in your interconnection agreement. Your agreement may allow you to make changes to your settings within a range of values and I'm sure Tesla has multiple grid profiles to accommodate AGIRs and preferences.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder