Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overview of TMC Connect 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the thoughtful review @cattledog. Here is my attempt to add to what you started.

SOME BACKGROUND

I am a strange one as I came to TMC Connect 2015 via a cross reference from the official Tesla Motors Forum. So I am a first time attendee and new to TMC, but have been active in the general Tesla Online Community for over a year. I literally did not have a username on my name badge, but have been able to get JeffreyR like at TeslaMotors.com here too. So some of you may recognize me from there.

SOME BASICS

My wife could not attend. I drove up by myself from L.A. and stayed w/ family in San Jose. I attended Friday Reception, Saturday Conference, Saturday HQ Party, and had a Sunday Factory Tour. So I missed Sunday Brunch and the Sunday party in Los Altos (bummer, but I had to drive back to L.A.). I am a big fan, but have not purchased a car yet. But, I have had several test drives in S85 & P85D and a two-day rental of a S40. We will likely start w/ a Model X once we are able to test drive it (my wife's idea; ever the practical one).

OVERALL IMPRESSION of TMC CONNECT 2015

I had a good time meeting fellow Grinners and chatting w/ very knowledgeable vendors. I lucked into meeting the Hawaiian contingent as I waited in line for my name badge. Great group and I am very glad to have been able to hang out w/ them throughout the Conference. I also met quite a few other very friendly folks that made this solo, non-TMC member feel very welcome including @CatB at breakfast. @CatB I really appreciate your enthusiasm.

WHY I SIGNED UP

I hoped to meet folks and get an insider's view into Tesla Motors & Tesla Energy. I also wanted to get to see a Factory Tour. I am not sure if I would have attended if I did not get to see the factory too.

SOME FEEDBACK

Like other comments on this thread, I felt the information presented at the Conference was a mix of useful and interesting to half-baked and salesy. For example, I think a better use of Ricardo's time might have been a mediated, focused round table where hot topics could have been discussed and questions answered. He could easily start out w/ "here is what I can say about the Model X, Model ≡, and other forward-looking items..." then moved on to other things. His anecdotes while well delivered and entertaining did not feel worthy of Keynote status.

SOME IDEAS for 2016

I appreciate being able to do Factory Tours, so I vote for Downtown San Jose for 2016. San Jose has some nice hotels (like the Sainte Claire https://plus.google.com/u/0/+TheSainteClaire/posts) and great restaurants. I think a great place for the after-hours party would be The Tech Museum right across the street from the Sainte Claire. We could get access to the exhibits and have a party after it closed to the general public.

Another nice place in the South Bay is the Mountain Winery above Saratoga (http://www.mountainwinery.com). Imagine having Elon or JB on the big stage. If they confirmed attendance in advance I am sure we could get lots of interest. A few choice hotels could offer shuttle service to and from the mountain top.

Finally, San Francisco offers many interesting areas like Golden Gate Park (see venues here: http://sfrecpark.org/permits-and-reservations/indoor-facilities/) w/ Cal Academy and De Young Museum. Not as easy access to Fremont, but still w/in striking distance.

We might want to organize a few activities next year for the members in our families that are more supporters/toleraters of our Tesla "interests" so that they won't feel so left out. Having some kid-friendly time would be great as well. I cannot wait to take my kids on the factory tour.

CONCLUSION

I had a good time at TMC Connect 2015. I would like to attend again next year and take a factory tour while it's running to compare to the quiet I saw last Sunday. If you feel like meeting some Tesla Fans, enjoying a few tech talks, and face-to-face access w/ the vendor sponsors, I would recommend TMC Connect 2016. If you are looking for the secrets behind the Tesla curtain or an insider's response to your issues, I think you should stick to Customer Service and TMC online.

I think the volunteerorganizers did a great job putting this together. Thank you all very much. We can all help by finding interesting topics and interesting speakers for next year. It's never too early to start preparing. Also, make sure to fill out the feedback survey. TMC Connect can only improve if let everyone know what works and what doesn't.

Thanks for the thoughtful review @cattledog. Here is my attempt to add to what you started.

SOME BACKGROUND

I am a strange one as I came to TMC Connect 2015 via a cross reference from the official Tesla Motors Forum. So I am a first time attendee and new to TMC, but have been active in the general Tesla Online Community for over a year. I literally did not have a username on my name badge, but have been able to get JeffreyR like at TeslaMotors.com here too. So some of you may recognize me from there.
Jeffrey - Thanks for the thoughtful write-up, I think you captured the sense of the conference. The one thing I'd add is you get no direct secret info into Tesla at Connect, but if you connect the dots, among presentations, vendors, attendee anecdotes and factory tour, you can get some deeper sense of the company.

TMC and Tesla asked us to keep information confidential to the group that attended

if there was nothing earth shattering and no NDA's were signed, why keep it confidential? what are they trying to keep secret? (telling a bunch of Tesla enthusiasts to keep a Tesla secret is like giving candy to a kid and telling them not to eat it).

edit: nevermind, i saw NDA's were required. lol that's just silly.

Correction: NDAs were only required at the factory and headquarters. Factory tour NDAs are standard. Absolutely nothing was disclosed at headquarters so it must have been a pro forma thing.

No NDAs were required required at the conference itself. Tesla did ask that their presentations not be recorded by others.

Tesla is solely responsible for the content of their talks at TMC; we can ask for all kinds of things, but they provided what they were willing to provide.

I really appreciate the constructive feedback. If you attended this years event, you should have received an email with a link to our feedback form. So far we've had about a 25% response rate, which is actually pretty good for feedback forms, but it would be great if those that haven't yet responded when ahead and did so. Thanks!