Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners: How often have you take it to Service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the car over a year. I have never HAD to take it in; the car works great.

I have, however, taken it in 3 times for really minor stuff:
1. At about a week old, to get winter tires
2. At about 8 months old, to get the cubby installed (wasn't on early vehicles and have them check a few really minor things - tiny draft in one door, early key fobs were a little wonky)
3. At a year old, for the one-year service. Had them take a look at the pano too - MUCH quieter now. They gave me a new 12V battery too - just in case, I had never had a problem.

I've had the car less than 2 months and have taken it in once so far.

• I asked them to fix an annoying rattle/squeak coming from rear left door; they didn't.
• I asked them to fix a problem with the rear left door not opening even when pulling hard on handle; they didn't.
• I asked them to fix an intermittent problem with the door handles not auto-revealing themselves; they didn't.
• They say they fixed a rattle/squeak in the pano roof that I had not noticed and had not complained about.

So far, not too happy with Tesla Service (San Diego). I have not taken the car back to 'em. Was thinking of driving 50 miles to the next nearest Tesla Service center and giving them a chance instead.

I've had it three months, and I'm working on my second trip. The service staff has been exceptional.

First was for a faulty charger the first week I had it. They completed work within a day and I was given a P85 loaner.

Now it appears I cannot Supercharge, so I'm going back in.

I have to say the car is very reliable. Mine was built fairly early on, and so I did have a couple of minor issues that were fixed quickly and professionally by Tesla. Tesla has made improvements, e.g. the improved door handles, so the things I had won't happen on a new vehicle.

I use Ranger service so they come to me. Great service!

• I asked them to fix an annoying rattle/squeak coming from rear left door; they didn't.
• I asked them to fix a problem with the rear left door not opening even when pulling hard on handle; they didn't.
• I asked them to fix an intermittent problem with the door handles not auto-revealing themselves; they didn't.
• They say they fixed a rattle/squeak in the pano roof that I had not noticed and had not complained about.

So far, not too happy with Tesla Service (San Diego). I have not taken the car back to 'em. Was thinking of driving 50 miles to the next nearest Tesla Service center and giving them a chance instead.

Wow, that is pretty bad service. Have you escalated this at all? Is there a manager at the SC? What about the regional manager? That does NOT sound like Tesla service--but I guess maybe SD is not a great SC.

I have only taken mine in to have the tires rotated at 6,000 miles. Thought I had a problem with my UMC (I didn't), but they gave me a new one during that visit. The only minor issue I keep forgetting to swing by and have them fix is a sticky charge port door. 9 out of 10 times it opens fine, every so often I have to press where the hinges are too get it to open. Not a big deal, just needs a shim. I'll just wait for my annual service or if I happen to be nearby.

I've had mine for 6 months and have put 10,000 miles on it. I just took it in for service because I started to hear a whining sound in the rear. It turns out they had to replace the inverter. There were several other minor items including a broken arm in the sunroof. The service was excellent and everything was fixed to my satisfaction.

Tesla service is probably the best in the auto industry--they are great.

True, and they seem to love their work as well. My wife works in a hospital and told me that she ran into a guy there the other day with a Tesla jacket on. She asked him if he owned a car, and the guy said no, but he works as a mechanic at the Toronto SC. She mentioned that we have a Model S and that it was currently in for service, mentioning my name. The guy immediately went on to say he knew the car and exactly what it was in for. He also mentioned how much he likes working there, and how they are really committed to delivering the best service experience in the world. He had high praise for Elon's vision of the company. My wife, who is not a "car person" by any stretch of the imagination seemed pretty impressed with this guy. I wish she'd caught his name.

I've had several Ranger visits and 2 trips to the service department, one of which ended up being for nothing (they were checking the brake pedal/actuator which turned out to be normal). But almost all have been for minor things. I had the early door handles which would spontaneously open, so those had to be replaced (2 different Ranger visits), I'm going to have another visit this week for the still glitchy voice activation and now a new rattle that may be related to my last door handle replacement. One trip for service was for annual maintenance, but also a few other minor things (reaiming windsheild washer, fogging of tail light covers, etc.).

I took delivery in Dec. 2012, so a lot of the early bugs...most I expected being a previous early adopter of the Prius. I expect the visits to taper dramatically over the next year.

True, and they seem to love their work as well. My wife works in a hospital and told me that she ran into a guy there the other day with a Tesla jacket on. She asked him if he owned a car, and the guy said no, but he works as a mechanic at the Toronto SC. She mentioned that we have a Model S and that it was currently in for service, mentioning my name. The guy immediately went on to say he knew the car and exactly what it was in for. He also mentioned how much he likes working there, and how they are really committed to delivering the best service experience in the world. He had high praise for Elon's vision of the company. My wife, who is not a "car person" by any stretch of the imagination seemed pretty impressed with this guy. I wish she'd caught his name.

This is the most impressive part of the Tesla experience. Although I haven't ordered my car yet, this is a big factor in getting over any perceived risk of spending so much money on a new product. They (Tesla employees) are really deeply committed to the product and the service. You can buy Lexus reliability, but I'm convinced there's no where else you can buy the Tesla experience. And that's why they are #winning.

Ive heard a lot of people, including some that I believe to be very knowledgeable with this car, mention issues with the door handles. While I don't doubt the knowledge of these people, I wonder if perhaps there is some confusion about the logic behind the auto presenting. I know they won't re-present themselves unless the fob is away from the car for a considerable period of time. I think if the fob has a stronger battery, it's possible that the fob might be in contact with the car more than people think.

Anyway, with a good understanding that the car won't auto present them unless the fob has been a ways away for a period of time, it always seems to present when I expect it to and not present when I expect it to.

ive had my car at service once, and it is back again as of tomorrow (flat tire). They took care of a few issues I asked for last time, and a few they looked at but gave me the expected response. the chips on my rims were due to user error, even though i've never hit them on anything, and it wasn't caused by low tire pressure, but my tire pressure was low ( and seems to regularly get low easily).

overall, I think the tires/wheels/inflation warning is the weakest point of this vehicle . A lot of issues with them cold be resolved if they would just allow a visual display from the tire pressure sensors.

and the there is this (note that it is the last part of a multi part story)
Tire Wear Post-Mortem - 2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

anyway, my first experience with service really impressed me. They are going to look into a couple of other issues tomorrow. A rattling sound Like a bolt/rock is rolling left and right wHen i turn (centripetal force) and a creak in the drivers mirror when the door is opened and closed. im sure the will do fine and i will have a ravingly good review of this second experience.

theyve already been really helpful on this service event. theres been a few examples, but one is that the tow truck company they used sent a guy who had been trained but really wasn't sure of himself (though his hubris wouldn't allow him to admit it). After failing to get the car to stay in jack mode when he got out of it (not realizing he had to manually put it in jack mode), the driver was about to winch the car in after it had put itself back in park.

the tesla rep, even after I said the guy had been very helpful, assured me (and later verified) that he would talk to the guys manager to ensure that there was someone else there to help the driver out at the tow trucks home lot. The car couldn't go direct to the service center because it would have been after hours when it got there. He later told me that the manager said he'd be there to help him out, and that he told the manager that the driver was very helpful otherwise. He also assured me that making sure my car was safe was more important than not getting a guy in trouble, and that they would make sure no damage had been done in the shipping process when the car gets to the service center tomorrow.

Last edited:

this is the same level of service I received. I asked them to fix a bunch of things and they didn't. in fact, they even "fixed" things I didn't complain about - such as "wind noise". I never had wind noise. I do now after service (which really pisses me off). Basically I wasted $600 and my car is worse than what it was when I gave it to them. Also, they *LIED* about my tire treads. They didn't even bother to check. I checked my tread depth the morning before I dropped it off and I had 6-7/32". When I received the report of work done, I looked at their tire tread inspection notes and all 4 tires were listed at 9/32". They clearly never bothered to check. I brought that to the service managers' attention immediately and they went outside and checked and sure enough they came back and corrected the tire tread depths on the report without saying a word about why they had 9/32" recorded on all four.

Ive heard a lot of people, including some that I believe to be very knowledgeable with this car, mention issues with the door handles. While I don't doubt the knowledge of these people, I wonder if perhaps there is some confusion about the logic behind the auto presenting. I know they won't re-present themselves unless the fob is away from the car for a considerable period of time. I think if the fob has a stronger battery, it's possible that the fob might be in contact with the car more than people think.

The door handles (especially the first generation) are glitchy. Folks, including myself, have had issues where they won't present, won't retract, won't open the door when pulled or cause the door to pop open unintentionally.

I had problems with my driver's door handle and the rear driver's side handle. Service replaced all four with the newer style. When I went in to pick up the car, it was sitting in the parking lot with both driver's side handles extended and both passenger side handles retracted. I called the service guy outside and there was much embarrassment, but when he unlocked and re-locked the car, all four retracted. It has not done it since.

I think there is a certain "cool" factor to the handles, but still contend they are overly complex for the intended purpose.

- - - Updated - - -

I think most of you are missing the original posters point. He wants to know how often have you NEEDED to take it into service because if he buys one and imports it to his country he will not have any SC access at all.

I am fortunate to live within a few miles of a Service Center. I drove in once to have my UMC checked and replaced. Done on the spot. Good thing too, because I drive over 100 miles a day and couldn't go too long without being able to charge. If I had to wait for one to be shipped, I would have had to look for public chargers (my J1772 adapter still worked).

I let a list of relatively minor niggles, and a couple of more serious issues, get too long. I waited until I was scheduled for my "annual" inspection to have them taken care of. They were taken care of expertly, but if the question is "does the car NEED service?" then the answer is "yes". I think it would be problematic to live in an area without service infrastructure like Service Centers or Rangers.

Have had my car for 10 months now. A few visits to the Service Center - including one where Tesla sent a flatbed (only because they didn't have anyone available to drive it there)
Car was delivered with the wrong color seats - needed to be replaced
Replaced driver seat had a problem - they found a broken rivet and fixed it, but left a screwdriver under the seat :) which rattled and assuming that the seat was still broken took it in, just for them to find the screwdriver!
Spoiler installation
Radio reception issue - I guess that's a feature now!
Glove compartment not opening
12,000 mile service

Service has always been a pleasant experience and the staff (as others mentioned) are very nice, knowledgeable and friendly. I rate Tesla service second only to Lexus.

Joe

As a follow up, Service has been very helpful again this time. Very forward with the communication, even with disappointing news, and very willing to help alleviate some minor issues that have cropped up due to the tow truck company.

further due to the nature of the issue, they agreed to check my alignment. It evidently is out of whack, whether due to the pothole or not. There seems to be a trend of these getting out of alignment easily. I recommend having the check the alignment every time your car goes in.

the disappointing news, other than the alignment, is that they said they were too busy to get the other issues I asked about fixed without hanging on to my car for a while. This might have changed since the alignment issues are requiring the car to stay an extra day anyway. They said they prefer to make an appointment for a later date for the issues, which wIll probably help them plan ahead for it, rather than it being an additional car getting worked on from their plan. They were forward and helpful about this. Well done.