Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners with No AP - Thoughts/Plans/Speculation on What Happens Next

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. And honestly, I'm really not that concerned about the cost or the value (but kind of). I'd like to support Tesla, I just don't want to get duped as much as I can avoid it. I drive a lot for work (over 8k miles so far in about 3.5 months), so I'd like to have it either way.

It’s a good plan to wait and see what happens on April 22. It’s not an ominous tweet, but likely a warning that the value of FSD could increase as well as its purchase cost.

Note that Tesla’s running with EAP are almost five times safer that non-Tesla cars without EAP by US government safety statistics. So what value do you put on reducing your exposure to car accidents? AP is now a serious improvement for reducing car accidents. In a year or two that should start showing up in car insurance rates. Personally, I’m fine with just avoiding accidents.

Nothing is ever guaranteed. And like a lot of people have posted, all car manufacturers flex their numbers around. If I do purchase it, I will go into it knowing that the guy behind me may get it for less or for free. Frustrating, but I'll be okay. :)

Good that you are inclined to buy the software. Just be prepared there is a chance FSD and AP is given away free next year. Don't go in thinking prices will always be increased for FSD, there is a chance that Tesla will want to raise cash and give it away free for new cars or drop upgrade price to 1-2k at an end of quarter push.

Can someone post a picture of their account page showing the reduced/free cost of AP? Particularly for owners who took delivery between end of Feb and March 2019. I guess those on the trial would be able to show it?

I took delivery of my 2019 TM3 mid-March. My page still shows $3k for AP and $7k for FSD, no trial yet. Does the price come down when you do a trial? If so, to what?

I don't think that you have the option to decline AP anymore. For pending orders Tesla seems to be imposing new MVOA's that include AP.

My order for a red/white P3D went in a month ago. I did not consider adding autopilot - my long distance travel car is HW2.5 model X100D with autopilot (and FSD). I still have no VIN. I just received an updated MVOA (motor vehicle order agreement - dated today) with a new price on the car that reduces the paint price and adds autopilot for an overall increase of about $1000 USD - as compared to my original MVOA when the prices were briefly lowered. Didn't really want it, have had no communication from Tesla at all, but that's a good price just the same.

Where is this rumor that AP is free coming from? Did I miss something? Prices went up $2,000 last week to cover the price of Autopilot. How is that free?

The only confusion was on the SR $35K model. Tesla sent out an erroneous description for this model stating that Autopilot was included. They confirmed this was an error and numerous people have posted that when they went to pick up their $35K car they were asked to pay an additional $3K plus tax if they wanted to add Autopilot.

The picture in this post was from the website. I don't see a charge for autopilot.

Owners with No AP - Thoughts/Plans/Speculation on What Happens Next

Everyone,

I wonder if there weren't enough people buying AP.

I wonder if that's the real reason why they are forcing people to buy it.

I think it has more to do with getting as many beta testers as possible. The end game for taking on Uber and Lyft is autonomous car data. I posted it in another thread but one you tuber makes a very good argument why it full AP functionality should be free (including Navigate on AutoPilot).

I think it has more to do with getting as many beta testers as possible. The end game for taking on Uber and Lyft is autonomous car data. I posted it in another thread but one you tuber makes a very good argument why it full AP functionality should be free (including Navigate on AutoPilot).

Beta testers?

I think they have more than enough all over the roads now.

Tesla Autopilot Miles Soaring | CleanTechnica