Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oxidation in paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I recently noticed something really weird. There seem to be thousands, maybe even millions of small spots in the paint that look to me like oxidation eating it's way through the layers of paint. I only see them when I look really close, but they're basically everywhere, on all the metal parts on the exterior of the car. Some of them seem to still be covered by paint, some are really finding their way to the surface and with some, when looking with the right light and angle, you can even see something that looks like a tiny little pinhole in the middle. See the attached pictures. Car is a blue 2015 model S90D. Does this sound or look familiar to any of you? I'm quite worried what this will look like after a few more years...
1.jpg
3.jpg

Your car was painted in California, which has low-VOC rules, unlike any other MFG on the planet. The paint quality, in my personal opinion, is utter garbage and will not hold up over time. This is the result of that (non-scientific, broad assumptions)... fwiw

Might be a good idea to take your car to a professional car detailing company. They can inspect the paint, measure the thickness etc. If those defects are only on the very surface they probably can be polished off and then the paint should be protected e.g. with a ceramic coating.

Hello!
Sorry to hear about your paint issues. Where is the car usually park? Indoors or outdoors? Maybe it’s just contamination that can te removed with a good claybar treatment? When was the last time any detailing was done?