Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ and speed-bumps or potholes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here you go, my price. Hit a 3" Botts Dot at 25 MPH. Ended up having to replace the wheel hubs as well (wheel bearings damaged).

View attachment 379162
I'm very skeptical a botts dot at 25mph damaged an aluminum alloy wheel (and bearing) unless you drifted over it sideways or something extreme. They're designed specifically to be minimal impact and would be outlawed in no time if they were actually damaging cars that easily. That's pretty ridiculous, especially considering I drive over them every day and have done so in the past in vehicles with lower profile tires.

Last edited:
I'm very skeptical a botts dot at 25mph damaged an aluminum alloy wheel (and bearing) unless you drifted over it sideways or something extreme. They're designed specifically to be minimal impact and would be outlawed in no time if they were actually damaging cars that easily. That's pretty ridiculous, especially considering I drive over them every day and have done so in the past in vehicles with lower profile tires.

Hes talking about the mega large bots dots that are about half the height of a low curb. The whole thing is maybe 8" around and 4" tall, with a hemisphere shape.

As to the question, the car is low but no lower than another factory lowered car like the M3. I do scrape in just a few places at stock height, so I learn to avoid those areas.

The rims are pretty crap though, and are quite soft. I hit a good sized pothole at 20 mph and bent a rim enough that it leaked air slowly. Cost $200 to straighten out.

Hes talking about the mega large bots dots that are about half the height of a low curb. The whole thing is maybe 8" around and 4" tall, with a hemisphere shape.

As to the question, the car is low but no lower than another factory lowered car like the M3. I do scrape in just a few places at stock height, so I learn to avoid those areas.

The rims are pretty crap though, and are quite soft. I hit a good sized pothole at 20 mph and bent a rim enough that it leaked air slowly. Cost $200 to straighten out.
Well his post said 3", but maybe California has some monster hazardous road markings that I'm not remembering.

I've had low profile tires on my performance car(s) for the past 11 years and never had to replace a wheel (knock on wood). I think the issue might be more that many Tesla drivers weren't previously car enthusiasts and as such aren't used to driving vehicles of this type.

My P3D has 5.8" ground clearance from the factory, which is the same or higher than most all generic 4-door sedans these days, so I don't get why I commonly see people worried about bottoming out. The 20" wheels on the other hand are certainly more sporty than most, but nothing that extreme in my opinion unless your local roads are a minefield of potholes.

Maybe I'm an inch oversized or hes undersized but I know these road obstructions.

Nothing like a bots dot, which any car could drive over safely. Hit one of these things going more than 5 mph, and you will bounce an average car in the air probably. They are serious.

Posting the picture again for clarity. @FlyNavy01

Attachments

• 20181114_231408.jpg
    20181114_231408.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 20181114_231200.jpg
    20181114_231200.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 140
2,000 miles on my car and I've already bent one of these performance wheels here in San Diego, most likely on a pothole. I hit one the other day when I had lost concentration and was pretty upset with myself. I've been driving performance vehicles for 15+ years and have maybe bent one wheel due to a pothole. Not happy...

Unfortunately, I didn't think to record the experience and don't have any evidence to present to NCDOT, if they would even cover the damage.

I bent the rim on a brand new bmw 750 the day after I bought it. 163 South exiting University right lane. There's a huge pothole that's till there. Caltrans hasn't fixed it--four years running... I always avoid that lane.

2,000 miles on my car and I've already bent one of these performance wheels here in San Diego, most likely on a pothole. I hit one the other day when I had lost concentration and was pretty upset with myself. I've been driving performance vehicles for 15+ years and have maybe bent one wheel due to a pothole. Not happy...

Unfortunately, I didn't think to record the experience and don't have any evidence to present to NCDOT, if they would even cover the damage.

• Funny
Reactions: Adam3

american factory wheel in santee?

Reactions: gaswalla
Agree with recommendation for AFW in Santee.
As for OP's question: Tesla wheels known to be susceptible to bending and breaking - could argue that maybe all large, low profile wheels will do the same, I guess.

Has anyone used this place and got favorable results?

yes, and yes!
during last month's rains,
a manhole size pothole opened
up on 163S, south of robinson,
surprisingly my front rim went thru
with no damage, rear developed a
slow leak, took it to amer fact wheels!

they diagnose the wheel to determine
if it can be straightened, if yes, they have
loaner wheels/tires (or use your tire) took
3 days (over holidays) to get done, all
very painless but professional!