Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D vs MR 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other than one less motor, different software, and some dummy cells in the battery pack, and tires, is there anything else physically different between the Mid Range Model 3 and the P3D (w/o PUP)? Is there anything different physically with the screen, the seats, the windows, the road noise (other than what the motors make themselves), headlights, interior materials, parts, etc? Or are these two cars identical except for the motors, softwares, and tires?

Most legacy auto manufacturers use the same “car” and have different lines. For instance, BMW has a 320, a 335, 345, and M3. But a 335 isn’t just an M3 w a different motor, the M3 has interior and exterior upgrades, dif gauges, dif wheels, uses better materials, better soundproofing, has a slightly different exterior look, uses different body panels, etc. Theres no mistaking an M3 when you see it, it doesn’t need the badges.

Going back to Tesla, is a MR Model 3 to a P3D like buying an M3 w a 335 Motor in it? Does the MR have the same “top of the line” chassis, interior, wheels, gauges (screen), exterior look, (same body panels, etc), w a different motor, software, tires? Or is it more like a 335 vs an M3?

If it’s the former, the MR sounds like an excellent deal, even if you take the tax credits out of it. It’s the equivalent of buying a Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude and getting a TrackHawk minus the Hellcat. If you are basically getting a top of the line car without the motor for 33% less.

Cars look and function identically other than the motor and extra battery cells.

It's the "cheapest" entry into the Model 3.

It's not the best value if you care about range.

It's not the best value if you care about performance.

All around best value is going to be the 3D. Saves $10K off the 3P.

Reactions: P85_DA
Cars look and function identically other than the motor and extra battery cells.

Agreed, to streamline the assembly lines the cars are virtually identical save for the differences you named. Same will be for the SR when they release it I believe. Although it does sound like there will eventually be an option without the premium interior at a discount.

Reactions: MXWing
Sigh. The millionth thread about whether a SW unlock is worth it. It is for some people. Isn’t for others. Correct that other than more battery cells, another motor, and unlocked 2 secs 0-60 and faster everywhere else on power scale, it’s no different. Unfortunately, very few cars are investments, and all new cars lose ~ >40% value within 2 years. So, buy what you think is value, and let others make their judgments. :)

I totally agree with that, completely, they don’t compare performance wise, at all. But neither does a 335 w an M3, same problems (minus the range) but I think most 335 buyers would be thrilled to take an M3 w a 335 engine. This is a big deal for a lot of people, most people I have known in my life, so my experience, care more about upgrading a car based on its looks rather than peroformamce, then again i don’t have any friend who track their cars.

I think as long as the range is enough for it to be a functiobable vehicle, if you’re just looking to get into a Model 3, it’s one hell of a deal based on the way most nee cars are sold in this country (USA)

I

Agreed, to streamline the assembly lines the cars are virtually identical save for the differences you named. Same will be for the SR when they release it I believe. Although it does sound like there will eventually be an option without the premium interior at a discount.

Given the structure of the tax credit you are paying only 1250 for the MR than the SR. You get more range and the better exterior/interior.

You also get a car in 2018 versus who knows when in 2019.

Reactions: P85_DA
MR seems like a good value to me, especially here where AWD is just a nice to have. I have the P3D-. I love the acceleration it's just amazing, but as a commuter car, the MR is going to perform almost identical, same infotainment, same body and interior and wheels, you can still add auto pilot and it will work exactly the same, and you won't be as tempted to bleep the pedal to get up to speed :p. Trying to convince the wife to forget about SUV's and get the MR model 3, but I think she still wants an SUV :(

I mean I could buy almost 2 MR3's for the price of the P3D- with autopilot, and white options.

As for performance differences the MR seems similar to me in everything except acceleration as I won't be cruising at top speeds anytime soon. That is, unless you need AWD.

I am in the same boat of which 3 to get. Just test drove the 3 LR car for an hour and it is awesome. I am in between the LR two wheel drive (heard you can still order for a da6 or two) cost is 49k or the all wheel LR for 54k. Thoughts? Not looking for Performance. Also, I can wait on EAP and add later. Only 6k instead of 5k now. Help!