Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ vs P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There were lots of threads debating the value of the performance upgrade package back when it was all speculation. The cars have been shipping for a while now. Have there been *any* back to back comparisons?

Suspension differences? Braking differences? Anything?

Reactions: Johnabis
Man, no one liked your thread!

We only have an AWD non-Performance. My understanding from reading the Performance threads is that the P3D+, with the 20" wheels, does have bigger brakes that won't fit inside the 18" wheels. Also a slightly modified suspension (1 link different), though not with significant performance gains. And the "Track Mode" eventually. Plus all the obvious cosmetic changes.

I'd like to know too. I switched from AWD to P+ and and am wondering if I should have.

I made the switch after test driving the P after the LR. I've not driven the AWD, maybe I should and save 15K???

Braking differences have been discussed, the larger brakes help during track use, they do not reduce braking distance, tires do that.

I'm a P3D- owner as I wanted to keep my 300 mile range and have the 3.5s 0-60. I have never driven on a track so that's not that important to me. I think the main handling benefit of the performance upgrade package on the P3D is the tires, which if you are willing to sacrifice range, you can put stickier tires on the P3D 18" rims.

Reactions: mswlogo
P3D- is basically the AWD version with more unlocked power. P3D+ has a bunch of upgrades (frame, suspension, brakes, wheels, spoiler, software, etc)

There's no evidence of any "frame" difference.

I think people are maybe confused by the cars that got the + brakes and 0.39" lower suspension getting a "performance chassis" sticker.

Likewise it remains unclear if the suspension difference is an "upgrade" so much as "correcting the geometry of the car for big wheels"... to me a real upgraded suspension would've involved a bigger drop than 1 centimeter.... (for my money it would've also involved magnetorheological shocks too to be worth bothering with)

There's no evidence of any "frame" difference.

I think people are maybe confused by the cars that got the + brakes and 0.39" lower suspension getting a "performance chassis" sticker.

Likewise it remains unclear if the suspension difference is an "upgrade" so much as "correcting the geometry of the car for big wheels"... to me a real upgraded suspension would've involved a bigger drop than 1 centimeter.... (for my money it would've also involved magnetorheological shocks too to be worth bothering with)
A chassis is a frame. Don't be bitter.

• Disagree
Reactions: PessimiStick
A chassis is a frame. Don't be bitter.

yes, and there's no evidence the actual chassis is any different.

The brakes aren't part of the chassis. Neither is the suspension. ( a rolling chassis would include those-likely what the sticker is talking about- but that's not a frame)

Here's pics of the model 3 chassis-

Tesla Model 3: here’s the alloy mix of the Model 3 body

Notice how none of the shown parts have been shown to be any different on the P3D+?

Don't be bitter about it though :)

Last edited:
The white one sure seems to corner flatter with lowered suspension and whatever other changes - how does the experience / skills of the drivers match up?
At the end of the video there's a discussion of lap times. Sasha drove both cars.
1:28 Stock LR on all seasons
1:18.8 LR + 275/35R19 RE71Rs on one side of the car (haha) + coilovers + big brake kit + camber arms + stability control disable
1:21.0 P3D+ Stock (he says he probably left 1 second on the table) 48% SoC
1:19.9 P3D+ with stability control disabled and some power reduction
Speculation
1:17.X P3D+ fully charged and not heat soaked
1:15.X P3D+ with coilovers, camber, and tires

Reactions: ElectricGhost
At the end of the video there's a discussion of lap times. Sasha drove both cars.
1:28 Stock LR on all seasons
1:18.8 LR + 275/35R19 RE71Rs on one side of the car (haha) + coilovers + big brake kit + camber arms + stability control disable
1:21.0 P3D+ Stock (he says he probably left 1 second on the table) 48% SoC
1:19.9 P3D+ with stability control disabled and some power reduction
Speculation
1:17.X P3D+ fully charged and not heat soaked
1:15.X P3D+ with coilovers, camber, and tires

One of the best parts was when they were talking about having to relearn the corners with no engine noise. There's no audible indicators of momentum into a corner, so sometimes you enter faster than you would like to. I've done that a couple of times.

One of the best parts was when they were talking about having to relearn the corners with no engine noise. There's no audible indicators of momentum into a corner, so sometimes you enter faster than you would like to. I've done that a couple of times.
I'm finding this interesting because this is the first car I've taken to a track course. I've had several manual ice cars before so engine sound is intuitive, but I've never lined that up with actual cornering.

Limp mode when it get's hot sucks though. Cars that I blew by on the straights and passed on the curves were on me and I had to let them pass.

This thread took a different turn than I was expecting. :eek:

I know all the differences that the performance upgrade package gives you in terms of the tesla specs. But Tesla was very vague about the "lowered suspension". I was wondering if anyone has done a detailed comparison.

Is the only difference literally one link? On the rear suspension? No differences in spring rates? Spring travel? Sway bars? Anything?

Is the only difference literally one link?
I think he meant to type 1 cm.

upload_2018-10-18_10-35-58.png