Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 397263 View attachment 397264

Thanks for the kind words!

P3 minus the performance package I’d say is a win. I ordered the 1:18 die cast model 3 and was a little bummed it came with the 20s.

So I did my best to make my own miniature moon discs. :D

I don't suppose you've kept track of whether or not the moon discs make a difference in highway efficiency vs. the regular Aero caps? I'd be surprised if it's above the statistical noise, but would still be interested in your anecdote!

Or you could have bought the P3D+ then sold the 20" wheels and tires, replacing with T-Sportline or other 18" P compatible. That is what I did, it ended out being an even swap for me, since I sold the 20" for the same price as my new ones and I have the higher profile I wanted while having the + Performance that I wanted.

It might not always be as easy as it was for me.

Are you talking about the upgraded brakes? I don't need those- not tracking. So I could have done exactly what I did and not bother wasting my time trying to sell the wheels and have the performance I wanted and saved $5k.

• Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
I'm awaiting some springs to drop it about an inch, and putting on some 19's with the Michelin Pilot 4S's for the summer.

Add that to what's in my sig, and I may be done for a bit.....may do a rotor and caliper upgrade down the road. we'll see.
I seem to be taking a pretty big performance hit going to PS4S tires :(

I changed to 19" titan7 wheels from 18" aeros without covers, so the wheel tire combo is the exact same weight (by specs), granted before I was 1.6lbs heavier on the wheel (Aero no cover) vs being 1.6 over on the tire now instead (1.6lbs lighter on the wheel). Still, I seem to be taking a 25% efficiency hit. That HAS to be from the grippier tire.

The tires do feel VERY well planted and will likely stop much faster with hard braking, but I'm not sure they are worth 25% efficiency loss!

yea.....the moon discs, blacked out, would definitely be my winter look.

IMG_20190330_150957 (1).jpg

I changed to 19" titan7 wheels from 18" aeros without covers, so the wheel tire combo is the exact same weight (by specs), granted before I was 1.6lbs heavier on the wheel (Aero no cover) vs being 1.6 over on the tire now instead (1.6lbs lighter on the wheel). Still, I seem to be taking a 25% efficiency hit. That HAS to be from the grippier tire.

The tires do feel VERY well planted and will likely stop much faster with hard braking, but I'm not sure they are worth 25% efficiency loss!

So for me, I may take a hit, but.....

I'm lowering it an inch, so there will be slightly improved aerodynamics from that at highway speeds.

My wheel and tire combo saves 2.2lbs overall from the 18's w/Michelin Primacies

AND....it's no longer winter in New England.

I think the gain in efficiency from the weight savings, ride height, and ambient temperatures will more than offset any losses incurred due to the grippier tires.

(except in the first few days of....."testing" the tires out).

So for me, I may take a hit, but.....

I'm lowering it an inch, so there will be slightly improved aerodynamics from that at highway speeds.

My wheel and tire combo saves 2.2lbs overall from the 18's w/Michelin Primacies

AND....it's no longer winter in New England.

I think the gain in efficiency from the weight savings, ride height, and ambient temperatures will more than offset any losses incurred due to the grippier tires.

(except in the first few days of....."testing" the tires out).
Ok, but I'm telling you it will not, while the weight helps 25% is huge a huge hit. Also is your 2.2lbs weight with the covers on or off? 2.2lbs isn't going to save you from the drop I am witnessing. The tires will make ALLOT more difference than the wheel. I won't say not to get them, but just be aware :) I don't know if I would go with PS4S if I could have a do over. Luckily tires are a wear item and I can swap back to aeros with MXM4 if I road trip. That said I went with 19x9's so I have a little more rubber on the ground too, which certainly isn't helping efficiency.

Ok, but I'm telling you it will not, while the weight helps 25% is huge a huge hit. Also is your 2.2lbs weight with the covers on or off? 2.2lbs isn't going to save you from the drop I am witnessing. The tires will make ALLOT more difference than the wheel. I won't say not to get them, but just be aware :) I don't know if I would go with PS4S if I could have a do over. Luckily tires are a wear item and I can swap back to aeros with MXM4 if I road trip. That said I went with 19x9's so I have a little more rubber on the ground too, which certainly isn't helping efficiency.

OK, but you missed the most important part of my guesstimation:
it's no longer winter in New England.

The temps have gone up ~10-15 degrees so far compared to about 6 weeks ago. that alone is worth a lot. there were days where I couldn't keep consumption under 300 wh/mi on a 22 mile morning commute.

This morning, the same 22 miles was 249 wh/mi. That's close to 17 percent just on temperature. And it will be warmer. I expect that by June, when it's in the 50s and 60s in the morning, I could do the trip at around 240-245 wh/mi.

I'll likely still come out ahead of what I was getting on long winter road trips.

OK, but you missed the most important part of my guesstimation:

The temps have gone up ~10-15 degrees so far compared to about 6 weeks ago. that alone is worth a lot. there were days where I couldn't keep consumption under 300 wh/mi on a 22 mile morning commute.

This morning, the same 22 miles was 249 wh/mi. That's close to 17 percent just on temperature. And it will be warmer. I expect that by June, when it's in the 50s and 60s in the morning, I could do the trip at around 240-245 wh/mi.

I'll likely still come out ahead of what I was getting on long winter road trips.
yea until it's winter again hah.

Are you talking about the upgraded brakes? I don't need those- not tracking. So I could have done exactly what I did and not bother wasting my time trying to sell the wheels and have the performance I wanted and saved $5k.
Yes I was. Frankly I had planned on the P3D but back when I placed my order the configurations changed so I ended out with Plus. I was very happy about the brakes, but I really did not care to live with the ultra-low-profile risks. It would have been cheaper and almost as good from my perspective to have forgone the brakes.

What was your efficiency before and after the PS4S?

If I had a choice again, I'd probably get the P3D- with white seats (my original config was a P3D- with black seats), paint the calipers and buy an OEM spoiler from a P3D+ owner. No actually, if I had a choice again, I'd wait till March of this year to buy my P3D+ for $12k less :rolleyes:. I sold my previous car for $7,000 which still had a good 4 months of HOV sticker life on it so it doubly sucked lol.

I don't suppose you've kept track of whether or not the moon discs make a difference in highway efficiency vs. the regular Aero caps? I'd be surprised if it's above the statistical noise, but would still be interested in your anecdote!

I was curious about this also. I don’t drive regularly on the highway to make a comparison. If I do, I’ll let you guys know!

yea.....the moon discs, blacked out, would definitely be my winter look.

View attachment 397426

They won’t coat or anodize the discs, I asked when I ordered :p. That doesn’t stop us from doing it though. I like dark wheels, reason I chose the 18s. I’ll roll with it silver for now and maybe get it anodized later, maybe have another set made just to change it out.

If, I mean when:cool:, you get your black discs completed - make sure to post it!!

Those wheels do look SLICK on your car.

I still have yet to ask for the $5k refund...even though the economics say that that is a better deal than the free supercharging I only use once in a blue moon. :eek:

I hate to be the one to bare the bad news, but last I heard, end of March was the deadline to request the $5K refund for Performance model owners. I have a P3D- and got my $5K around mid March. I spent it on EAP and FSD when it was $5K combined. You may want to try now and hope I'm wrong.

I hate to be the one to bare the bad news, but last I heard, end of March was the deadline to request the $5K refund for Performance model owners. I have a P3D- and got my $5K around mid March. I spent it on EAP and FSD when it was $5K combined. You may want to try now and hope I'm wrong.

Eh...it's not the end of the world. I was fine with what I paid for the car at the time, and I still don't want the OEM 20" wheels...plus I would have HAD to buy another set of wheels with winter tires on them if I'd received that package since I'm in the snow belt. If Track Mode or the 5% performance boost not come out for my car due to it being a Stealth I would have been upset and more likely to ask for the money.

If Track Mode or the 5% performance boost not come out for my car due to it being a Stealth I would have been upset and more likely to ask for the money.

I was thinking the same thing. When the price drop and Track Mode were announced, I started having Buyer's Remorse. I got over it as the 20" wheels are a harsher ride and while I live in FL, I don't feel I need them. I also don't go to tracks or drag strips. Turns out all Performance models are eligible for the refund and also got Track Mode as well as the most recent 5% increase. Once again, Elon did the right thing and didn't isolate early adopters.

I was thinking the same thing. When the price drop and Track Mode were announced, I started having Buyer's Remorse. I got over it as the 20" wheels are a harsher ride and while I live in FL, I don't feel I need them. I also don't go to tracks or drag strips. Turns out all Performance models are eligible for the refund and also got Track Mode as well as the most recent 5% increase. Once again, Elon did the right thing and didn't isolate early adopters.

Yep, I also struggled a bit with Tesla Early Adopter Buyer's Remorse for a bit (still wanted the car, was moderately upset for a hot minute that I "could have received 'more' for my money if I'd waited") ...but again...i would have had to turn around and spend at LEAST $2-3k on another set of wheels and tires pretty much from day one if I'd had the Performance Upgrade Package because those tires are WILDLY inappropriate for the winter weather conditions and temperatures around here. Plus with a 10 or more years time horizon the free SuperCharging will likely eventually at least break even...eventually. Don't really care about resale value either for the same reason. At the end of the day, I really love my car, I AM on board with Tesla's mission, and if nothing else I'll consider it a $5k donation to the cause. ;):cool: