Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 Loaner Cars! Sweet!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought they were being driven by current owners who brought their cars in for service. If they like the loaner, they can buy it instead of taking their old car back. I didn't think they were being offered to non-owners.

Bummer, Model S loaners all gone today at Menlo Park service center ... Got a noisy, smelly Camaro convertible rental car instead. How can a muscle car that's almost all engine be so shaky and still slow? And once you're at decent speed the breaking is terrible!

Btw. It was extremely busy at the Menlo service station, a ton of Ses parked outside, must have been at least 40. I was told because they are in the midst of the recall.

-- updated --

Funny, today I went to get my coffee fix at Peets, in the Camaro with the top open. I parked, got my latte and sat in the store for a while. Then I got up to get back and noticed my car keys weren't in my pocket. I'd left the car running outside with the keys still in the ignition, display still on, lol. Anyone else guilty of this?

image.jpg

You get so used to the Model S where you just press the Park button and leave your car and it will automatically turn off and lock :biggrin:

Last edited:
Ranger is coming to pick up my Model S on July 3rd for 12k service and several lingering minor issues (driver's side vent, steering wheel click, etc.) and will have the car over the entire July 4th weekend and into the next week. I knew St.Louis service has a white Model S Perf loaner and specifically enquired as to whether they'd be able to leave it for me. Unfortunately the service advisor wasn't very confident that it would be available since they've had to loan it quite a lot apparently. I reinforce my desire to have it, particularly for the long weekend and time they'll have my car.

We'll see...they offered Enterprise as the alternative if they can't get me the S, but I'll just drive my Prius rather than bother with a full fuel rental. Clearly they need several more loaners.
Just learned from Matt Annis that the loaner is in the process of being sold and won't be available to anyone. They're expecting a replacement in 1-2 weeks.

Looks like I'm going to put off my annual maintenance until they have it.

As of last Friday Fremont SC Had 1 loaner (P85) and the service manager was bemoaning the chronic shortage/unavailability (his clients were none too happy). And, BTW, the 'rental' loaner agreement you sign notes that the vehicle is speed limited to 80 MPH.

VIN 15790, P85 (NOT +) silver/black, silver turbine 21"/Contis, full spec (Pano, air, sound, tech, jump seats)--did not see the parcel shelf. Version 4.5 firmware (don't recall which release). About 850 miles. Still had screen protector on center console. Minor sticking of right front passenger exterior handle (I told service manager about it). Interested??? Probably gone by now.....

As of last Friday Fremont SC Had 1 loaner (P85) and the service manager was bemoaning the chronic shortage/unavailability (his clients were none too happy). And, BTW, the 'rental' loaner agreement you sign notes that the vehicle is speed limited to 80 MPH.

Just returned the P85 loaner I had for 2 weeks and I can definitively state that mine was NOT governed...or if it was it was something over 95mph!

VIN 15790, P85 (NOT +) silver/black, silver turbine 21"/Contis, full spec (Pano, air, sound, tech, jump seats)--did not see the parcel shelf.

I'm fairly certain that's one of the two P85 loaners I've had from Fremont and it didn't have active air suspension, which I thought was odd. In fact, I thought it was so odd I asked about it and my service rep said he was sure they didn't make P85's without air suspension ... but he'd ask his tech. His tech didn't think they did either, but then they found another one in the service bay. And my next loaner, a gray/black P85 was the same. No active air. I'm not sure that two vehicles establishes a trend, but it's something to keep in mind when considering buying a loaner.

It was only obvious to me because I can't get down my driveway without raising the suspension, and therefore couldn't charge either car at home.

The loaner I had on Monday was also a P85 with a standard suspension. I think I remember a thread where somebody mentioned they were missing parts for a while, so they built some P85 demo/loaners with regular suspensions.

It does make a difference; though it didn't seem to be a huge difference. (Of course the tires and wheels were different than mine too, so it's hard to tease all of the variables apart).

Menlo Park has a sweet new black/black P85+ service loaner and I've been driving it for last 10 days while various issues with my roadster and my Model S are worked on. It's pretty amazing. And it's definitely not governed to 80mph. :cool:

Has air suspension, Pano, tech, 3rd row seats, and the new Yacht Floor option as well, which I like. VIN 14891.

I (no flames please) really don't like the all-black interior personally... especially in a black car. the car seems more "closed in" with all the interior parts black rather than the lighter colors that seem to open up the feel of the car from the inside. My car is black with tan interior and after having this for a full 10 days I'm so glad I got the tan. But I do envy the P+ package... there's a huge difference in handling from my P85 standard with downgraded 19" wheels, as one would expect.

My early production P85 has a few things that work BETTER than this late-production P85+. The one I told the service people about is wind noise. I can't figure out why, but above 70mph, this loaner P85+ has significant wind noise from the Pano, and my earlier car has virtually none at same speeds (also pano roof). From the outside, I can't see anything that doesn't look flush or well made, but it's unmistakably LOUDER at higher speeds. And the new cupholders without the grabby spring things is just a huge fail. I can't believe they took such a step backwards with this. (yes, I know, discussed elsewhere on the forum.) I know it's not a big deal, but I miss the foglights button my car has. And the range of the remote is actually LESS on this newer car than on my older car. One other really odd thing is that this car takes longer to boot up. In my P85, I can jump in and flick the gear selector down and drive off, this one I have to sit, wait, and then click it down. Definitely takes longer to get fully booted up.

Last edited:
I (no flames please) really don't like the all-black interior personally... especially in a black car. the car seems more "closed in" with all the interior parts black rather than the lighter colors that seem to open up the feel of the car from the inside.

I agree 100% but obviously it's a personal taste thing. It just felt more claustrophobic and I missed much of the contrasting detail I adore in my gray interior. I wasn't wild about the carbon fiber, either, but it wasn't as big a deal.

I am driving a P85 loaner without active air suspension. It is white with tan interior. The suspension is very similar in feel to my air. The tan is definitely warmer in the sun than my white. The full charge registered 276 miles with about 2000 miles driven on the odometer.

The full charge registered 276 miles with about 2000 miles driven on the odometer.
The word "full" has been troubling me lately. Point of clarification, which of the following do you mean:
  1. 276 ideal miles after completion of range/trip (100%) charge
  2. 276 rated miles after completion of range/trip (100%) charge
  3. 276 ideal miles after completion of standard (92-93% with 4.4) charge
  4. 276 rated miles after completion of standard (92-93% with 4.4) charge
  5. 276 ideal miles after completion of daily (90% with 4.5) charge
  6. 276 rated miles after completion of daily (90% with 4.5) charge

I'm guessing #2.

Note that I've omitted "Projected" since by now I suspect all vehicles have been upgraded beyond the versions of the firmware that offered that UI.