Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

p85 owners who swapped their 21" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know about range, but 19" will give you a better 0-60mph acceleration than the 21" wheels.
The weight of the 21" being placed farther from the center, they create more inertia, thus lowering acceleration.

It was tested at Montreal's Icar acceleration track.

Francois
B2653

19s will always give you better range than 21s. lighter wheels. less friction (the OEM 19s are not as "sticky" as the summer performance racing tires).

I don't know about range, but 19" will give you a better 0-60mph acceleration than the 21" wheels.
The weight of the 21" being placed farther from the center, they create more inertia, thus lowering acceleration.

that's only if the 19s can get traction. mine spin under full accel. in a 19" all season vs 21" summer performance race, the 21s are going to win every time. HOWEVER, if it was 19" sticky summer performance vs 21" sticky summer performance, you're right, the 19s would win. But as a general statement, the OEM stock 19s (both goodyear and michelin), will NOT give you a better 0-60 time than the OEM 21s due to the fact that the 19s won't hold. You'd need to swap to some Michelin Pilot Sports or continentals to get good enough traction to beat the 21s.

I swapped my stock 21s with stock Goodyear 19s and there was a noticeable increase in range, despite the temperatures dropping.

It does suck to have them lose traction during hard acceleration though. Can't wait for summer to get my grey 21s back on!

Cold is also a big factor. No tire is going to give you good traction at -20C.

I swapped the 21's with 19" snow tires for Winter. I did it early on (kind of jumped the gun) so the temps were still warm and roads were clear. I saw a marked decrease in energy usage on the order of 5-10% until the weather got bad. At that point I don't have data for a fair comparison. My guess is the energy use on all season, or even the performance 19's would be much lower than the 21's.
I am also considering full time 19's once my 21's wear out. Still not sure which exact tire, or which class of tire (performance, all season etc..) to go with. I want to be able to demo the awesome acceleration, but also want good efficiency and much longer tread life.

I still plan on getting some 20s. Probably some 20x9" wheels in the front, and 20x10.5" wheels in the back. Dying to fill out the wheel wells. I think the current OEM rims (19s & 20s) are too narrow. Still trying to determine what size tires to put in though. Definitely at least 275 or 285 in the rear. In the front I'd like to get 255 or 265s.

Been looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. Seems to be getting good reviews and topping charts. Motor trends eval also has it performing better than competitor summer tires even though these are ultra high performance all season tires. I could do a staggered setup with 255/35ZR20 on the front and 285/35ZR20 on the rear in those A/S 3s. That would probably look pretty sick, be awesome at handling and traction under heavy accel, great in bad weather, while still lasting a decent amount of life with 500 AA A ratings. Wouldn't be able to rotate with a staggered setup but that's ok since the front tires barely wear at all. I'll just have to replace the rear set every 25-30k or so. I'm ok with some range loss if I get improved performance, looks, and handling without sacrificing tread life.

Bigger rims YBD??? Say it isn't so.

yea. I want to increase traction (both dry & wet), and have a bit better handling without sacrificing tread life. Having a P85 w\ 19" Goodyear's, while giving me decent range and lifetime (@35k miles now on the original OEMs still with a decent amount left), just doesn't cut it in the "looks" and "handling". They spin on me under heavy accel (I do have a lead foot). And I've never liked the traction of the goodyears in the rain. From day 1 I've always had that "floatyness" too under heavy accel.

Remember I did give up free 21s (early owner) to downgrade to the 19s. I'm still not willing to go to 21s (because there are no good tires that will last long and they are more susceptible to damage/blowouts, and not practical given my high mileage driving), but 20s look like a good compromise. I think I can get the best of both worlds there. I wish those Rial's were made in 20s. I'd probably go for the turbine look if I could, but I know of no aftermarket 20" turbine wheels.

There are some Vossen and Niche wheels that look nice. Not looking to spend a fortune on rims though, so trying to keep it under $450/rim if possible. I'm not really a RIM guru. I don't have a preference on manufacturers. I don't want to get something cheap. Just want something that looks good, relatively the same or lighter weight as the stock wheels, and fills out those wheel wells without causing rubbing when the tires are turned fully.

I bought my Tesla P85 Used with 11K miles on it. It came with 21" Silver with OEM Tires which had only about 4K left on it. I bought my Car in Nov and I ended up ordering the Rial Lugano 19" with Blizzaks. The 19 inch suit me so much better than the 21" because the 21" are so much prone to damage and even if you don't hit a pot hole a simple stone will scratch the wheel. I can't be bothered with constantly getting the wheels repaired. One of the wheel was repaired by the original seller who lived in CT.

The Rials look great and the blizzaks perform great in the snow and ice. I'm thinking of going with another set of Rials with Bridgstone Serenity or possibly the Michelin Primacy for the nonwinter set.