Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Owner, first impressions & review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to this forum and I am a proud Tesla owner. I look forward meeting the Tesla crowd having been an Audi RS owner for years.

The Tesla has some very distinct features which makes it absolutely unique to drive, besides the obvious electric drive train. Having no gear box to deal with, makes driving very different. You are always in the "right gear". Regardless of speed, if I need instant power, it's always right there. This makes driving a Tesla a very confident car to drive around because you quickly get used to what power you have at what speed. It never varies; you punch it 10 mph and you know what is coming. You punch it at 50 mph, it's less, but it is consistent. You quickly learn what's available at different speeds. Unlike a car with a 6-speed gear box, should you be in 5th gear coasting down a 45 mph road, if you want power, you must quickly gear down and let the engine breathe-in. (ICE manufacturers are now developing electrically spooled turbo chargers to minimize this). The consistently instant power is a great Tesla feature.

The MS is very heavy and it has a low center of gravity. This combination gives the MS a very sure footed feel to it when driven as a daily driver. The car grips bumps and pot holes without interruption inside the cabin. Cornering and breaking does not dip much considering the lack of an active suspension system. The aluminum frame helps too. The car feels great unless you start pushing the limits. Hopefully some aftermarket parts will soon be available to resolve some of the handling issues this 5,000lb car needs help with. Adjustable coil-overs, stiffer strut mounts, and stiffer sway bars should make a big difference.

It is an electronic master piece. The transition into a Tesla reminds me of when I first switched from an old Nokia phone to the first generation iPhone. Great stuff and I am sure there will be loads of updates and improvements as the months goes by. I have not had any electronic issues besides the home-link remote being a bit stubborn not communicating well. No failure, just stubborn at times.

Finally, in my opinion, there is one major design flaw with the car. I would say this a typical problem of a "new" car company. Side-step the break pedal and it rattles and makes a terrible noise. The car is a Rembrandt and the break pedal design is putting graffiti on it.

What a great car! :biggrin:

Welcome to the wonderful world of Tesla ownership! Congrats on your purchase.

I came from Audi myself, and while I think you may have had better luck in an S4 (I assumed RS= RS4 for highest P/W ratio, apologies if that is an assumption) with tuning kit (belt, chip, etc) for the same raw HP as a RS4 but with a automatic tranny would have done you some good for the advantage you describe (the only time I had to use the paddle shift because the accel was unresponsive enough, I realized I was already doing well over 100MPH), you will not be disappointed with Tesla. It is truly the finest vehicle I've ever found when you consider ALL the categories together- a truly incredible engineering feat.

The MS is very heavy and it has a low center of gravity. This combination gives the MS a very sure footed feel to it when driven as a daily driver. The car grips bumps and pot holes without interruption inside the cabin. Cornering and breaking does not dip much considering the lack of an ACTIVE suspension system. The aluminum frame helps too. The car feels great unless you start pushing the limits. Hopefully some aftermarket parts will soon be available to resolve some of the handling issues this 5,000lb car needs help with. Adjustable coil-overs, stiffer strut mounts, and stiffer sway bars should make a big difference.

Based on this statement, I'm assuming that mean you went with the coil suspension? Based on your statement that your car doesn't have an ACTIVE Air Suspension System. Curious statement since you say you wish there was an aftermarket suspension that was better. If you wanted a better suspension, why not get the "ACTIVE" Air Suspension offered by Tesla from the factory?

Based on this statement, I'm assuming that mean you went with the coil suspension? Based on your statement that your car doesn't have an ACTIVE Air Suspension System. Curious statement since you say you wish there was an aftermarket suspension that was better. If you wanted a better suspension, why not get the "ACTIVE" Air Suspension offered by Tesla from the factory?
Tesla's air suspension isn't Active, is it? I understood in only raises and lowers based on speed or manual settings and self levels depending on load?

An Active system adjusts the dampers (my BMW did this) to improve cornering, reduce nose-dive on hard breaking and reduces nose lift on hard acceleration. I'm pretty sure the air suspension on my Tesla doesn't do that but I hope I'm wrong?