Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D showing as P90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any way that a P85D would be upgraded to a P90D?
Matching VINs on screen and body sticker, but on the screen it shows P90D with VIN on same screen, the car badging shows P85D, the car is listed as P85D.

Argh, I can't edit my own post. Here are screenshots.
Listed as P85D, emblem shows P90D with Ludacris
2020-03-03_21-02-10.jpg

VIN on screen matches VIN in ad, shows P90D on screen
2020-03-03_21-02-38.jpg

VIN sticker on car matches VIN in ad.
2020-03-03_21-03-10.jpg

Note that the P90D is NOT underlined on the screen, so you probably have Insane rather than Ludicrous.
I've read several threads, and I'm still unclear. Underlined P90D should signify Ludicrous mode, and in later models, P90DL means Ludicrous mode right?
I haven't been able to confirm ANYTHING from Tesla, Ludicrous or Insane, or service history as to why the battery was replaced.

I've read several threads, and I'm still unclear. Underlined P90D should signify Ludicrous mode, and in later models, P90DL means Ludicrous mode right?
I haven't been able to confirm ANYTHING from Tesla, Ludicrous or Insane, or service history as to why the battery was replaced.

Right.

Also, since the P90D was underlined on the badge, it did have Ludicrous mode on the car at some point right? (assuming the badge isn't fake)

Right.

Update:

I was able to find out that the battery was most likely replaced after the 85kwh batteries had been discontinued, so it was replaced with a 90kwh. I was told that it doesn't have ludcrous mode on it, but Tesla may have disabled that after they got it in on a trade-in. The sales people aren't allowed to disclose any history on the vehicle, which is ridiculous IMO.

This vehicle may be for sale and located in Dallas, as I didn't end up buying it with me working from home full-time now with Corona Virus. It was shipped to Dallas from FL, and I ended up not buying it.

@Tamporter - Thank you for your response. Yes, for the time being, I am that sucker who bought it :). I am not too far from Dallas, was wondering if you had the insight. Them taking away Ludicrous mode really ticks me off! Do you think it could be reactivated?

Why did you walk away though? No delivery? Did you negotiate anything on the table with the discrepancies?

From other aspects, money wise, it looks like a good deal right?

@Fragger
Congrats! I think it's a great buy, especially at $45k! I pulled the trigger at $49k and was going to buy it regardless of the removed Ludicrous mode, no solid answers on the history of the vehicle's battery or of the vehicle's condition, and the buying process in general.

The buying process was EXTREMELY irritating with a sales guy that just didn't care and partially due to Tesla's terrible policies and procedures. There were times that he was unresponsive for 48 full hours, and I had to call everywhere trying to get a hold of someone to answer my questions until someone helped me reach out via IM to the sales guy. Got answers to some of my questions with some outstanding. Then he proceeded to demand that I complete all paperwork by the end of the day, even though my trade-ins hadn't been valuated, nor my questions answered. I filled out the paperwork for the car to be shipped because I'm already out the $100, so I might as well just let them ship the car so I can see it in person.

I don't believe that anything is really negotiable for Tesla used cars, so no, I didn't.

I walked away because by the time the car arrived in Dallas, I was already working from home full time because of COVID-19, so I have no need for a 6th car in a 4 car garage, lol. I didn't even go to look at the vehicle in person, although I was curious.
I didn't feel too bad for Tesla for eating the $2k shipping fee (their price is probably only $1000 from FL to TX), because I'm sure someone would buy this car in Dallas without it having to be shipped.

I also walked away because I'm also still not 100% convinced as a hardcore ICE and manual transmission enthusiast that I should buy an electric car. The ONLY things I wanted the Model S for were: Autopilot for a relaxing commute and air suspension that could be slammed. Running costs and gas are of 0 concern to me. The difference in performance doesn't offer bonus points to me since the driving experience is the exact opposite of what I want: manual transmission, fun driving dynamics, and a good exhaust note, in a 4 door sedan. Previously was cross shopping a huge range of cars from $30k-$100k: F80 BMW M3, F10 BMW M5, Civic Type R, Golf R, and Range Rover Sport SVR (no manual though).

I'd love to hear your thoughts on your new Model S, especially the condition, since it might have been in my garage today if the pandemic hadn't occurred.

Last edited: