Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85DL to 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

I'm coming to the end of my lease and I'm going to be trading a 2015 P85DL for a 2018 100D. When I bought the P85D I went for the full monty and then paid for the L upgrade as well. I have loved the car but range is king and money matters so I'm trying to be "responsible" and have opted for the 100D this round.

I'm very excited for the increased range. 253 to 335 rated range is huge. And my most frequent trip is from Nashville to the north Atlanta suburbs - this will allow me to easily skip the superchargers on that trip as I have destination chargers on both ends. Whatever the performance loss, this alone should make me like the 100D much more.

Question - if anyone has driven both models, how bummed am I going to be about the performance loss? I'm not running around doing launches all the time but I do enjoy the get up and go on highway ramps and passing situations. My expectation is I'll be pleased with the 100D or am I fooling myself?

Thanks.
Tim

You will be pleased with 100D ....I went from P85DL+ to P100D and am pleased more :oops:....unless you had the plus suspension that is only thing I miss was the stiffer handling ..but yes range is key for me too :eek:...there are a lot of folks looking to buy a P85DL here you should give a heads up on the WTB on your car ...if I knew about the demand I may have kept my car

So I'm a S100D owner who keeps getting a P85DL loaner. Small world, but I guess I'm in a position to answer some of your questions:

In terms of range: I hugely missed the S100D's range when I drove the P85DL. It is a huge difference. My 90% daily charge was more rated miles than the P85DL's 100%.

Performance wise: If I kept the P85DL in Sport mode rather than Ludicrous, the overall acceleration felt comparable to my 100D. If anything I thought the onramp acceleration of my 100D is better.

However in Ludicrous mode, the P85DL's neck snapping acceleration from a standstill is unbeatable. If that's what you miss, you'll probably miss it. But I found it somewhat of a parlor trick. It was virtually never appropriate to use when anyone was in the car with me. And I actually forgot I was in Ludicrous mode and spilled a cup full of ice in my face at one point….

Basically, the sustained acceleration is about the same, but the 100D artificially imposes a little bit of a torque ramp from standstill while the P85DL just hits you instantly.

I have a P85DL+ and have used an uncorked 100D loaner and was very surprised by the acceleration compared to other 85s and 90s I've driven -- especially passing power in the 100D. It was less than the P85DL, But still the fastest thing on the road in nearly all cases and very useful passing power to navigate traffic.

But everytime I got back in the P85DL the go-cart feeling of the plus suspension made me glad to be back, even if I wasn't using all the acceleration benefits.

I have a P85DL+ and have used an uncorked 100D loaner and was very surprised by the acceleration compared to other 85s and 90s I've driven -- especially passing power in the 100D. It was less than the P85DL, But still the fastest thing on the road in nearly all cases and very useful passing power to navigate traffic.

But everytime I got back in the P85DL the go-cart feeling of the plus suspension made me glad to be back, even if I wasn't using all the acceleration benefits.

I do have the same experience :)

What is this sport mode you speak of? o_O

I don't think I could ever give up the highway passing power that all Ludicrous equipped Teslas have, especially the P100DL. My 85D felt very slow on the highway, and I imagine the 100D feels like that too at higher speed. Yes the 0-60 of the 100D is under 4 seconds, but the highway passing power is probably lacking just like my 85D...

What about a showroom model P100DL? Is it too late?

What is this sport mode you speak of? o_O

I don't think I could ever give up the highway passing power that all Ludicrous equipped Teslas have, especially the P100DL. My 85D felt very slow on the highway, and I imagine the 100D feels like that too at higher speed. Yes the 0-60 of the 100D is under 4 seconds, but the highway passing power is probably lacking just like my 85D...

What about a showroom model P100DL? Is it too late?
uncorked 100D is much better than older 85D re passing power