Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D offer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reading the recent problems, I'm torn. I need my car to be flawless, and what I read just won't cut it. The seam, arrrhh, the seam did it for me. I still desire the X, but maybe at a later time. Even though I'm so close to the factory, my job and kids won't allow me the time to do the runarounds. I've decided to pass on for now, but don't want the ready-for-delivery X wasted. Yes, I've been lurking and you folks are wonderful. Some of the good old souls here may not mind to be on the bleeding edge and running a few trips, and here you have the best world-wide support you can get. Offering for someone to take over if you like the config.

P90D VIN 12xx
Midnight Silver Metallic
22" Black Onyx
Black Leather+Black Headliner
Carbon Fiber Trim
6 Seats
72A Charger
Autopilot
Premium Pkg
U-Hi-Fi Sound
Subzero Pkg
Tow Pkg
Factory delivery ready now

PM me if really want to engage.

This sounds like early onset of buyers remorse. Too many people think this is an irrational response, but it isn't always.

The X is a hugely expensive car and for a lot of people it will be the most expensive car they have ever bought. To those with time constraints and family commitments it be daunting and I feel for you.

At the moment it seems that some of the cars have been delivered with niggles or problems, all of which I am confident Tesla will sort out very quickly, but that must be concern. You are uncomfortable being a beta tester and worry about the impact it will have on you and your family.

It may be worth talking to your DS and seeing what assurances you receive from him/her regarding resolution of potential problems and loaner car status.

If you are still unsure why not delay your order for a number of months and see how things develop. It may be the most comfortable decision.

I would love to take you up on the offer jumping the queue but am in the wrong country to do so. It may well be that someone can benefit from your dilema and it is generous of you to make the offer.

I hope you find a satisfactory conclusion and get your X when you are ready.

Reactions: mmd
Doesn't the ranger/valet service work for people who are close to service centers? I have heard stories mostly from Model S owners of Tesla picking their car up while they are at work, fixing it and returning the car before their work day ended or leaving a loaner. If they still provide that kind of service, you would be hard pressed to find another company who would make repairs that convenient. However, I am not sure how much you can count on the ranger/valet service these days. Any Tesla owners near a service center feel free to chime in on this one.

Doesn't the ranger/valet service work for people who are close to service centers? I have heard stories mostly from Model S owners of Tesla picking their car up while they are at work, fixing it and returning the car before their work day ended or leaving a loaner. If they still provide that kind of service, you would be hard pressed to find another company who would make repairs that convenient. However, I am not sure how much you can count on the ranger/valet service these days. Any Tesla owners near a service center feel free to chime in on this one.

Yes, would definitely like to hear more on this.

@aesculus - Can you preview what during the factory tour may help with the anxiety?

Since you decided to pass and are generally willing to walk away from your deposit, can I just suggest that you schedule delivery, bring a personal check, and make the decision at that time? I mean, you might find that your car is perfect. What's the benefit of walking away sight unseen, if the cost is the same to you either way?

I realize that by asking someone else to take it over, you might get out of the 5k deposit loss. That's a different story. I'm just suggesting that if someone doesn't jump at your config, this might be a reasonable course of action.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark Z
Since you decided to pass and are generally willing to walk away from your deposit, can I just suggest that you schedule delivery, bring a personal check, and make the decision at that time? I mean, you might find that your car is perfect. What's the benefit of walking away sight unseen, if the cost is the same to you either way?

I realize that by asking someone else to take it over, you might get out of the 5k deposit loss. That's a different story. I'm just suggesting that if someone doesn't jump at your config, this might be a reasonable course of action.

Thanks for the advice. I may end up doing that, and get the factory tour as a bonus (have to put that 5k to work somehow). ;)

If something is obviously wrong, I hope they catch those already. The more likely issues are those I won't discover for a few days/weeks. And I bet @mmd they'll write only things found and will address but short of how. roser mentioned about the due bill wrestling he had to deal with (different intent). Worth a try though and thanks for the advice.

A common result from reading forums is "Forum Induced Anxiety". There might be thousands of super happy customers, but if just a few loudly display their problems, readers begin to fear that their item might also be in some way flawed.

This is normal, and it afflicts many. The fear causes many to second guess their decision, and worry that their purchase might not go perfectly (nothing is perfect) and walk away from a great experience.

No vehicle is perfect, no house is perfect, no job is perfect, no person is perfect, no relationship is perfect, nobody is perfectly healthy, no country is perfect...nothing is perfect. Even a perfect diamond has flaws if you look under enough magnification.

Magnification of problems is what forums tend to do. They keep digging deeper to uncover flaws, and even preceived flaws.

The Tesla model X is a fantastic vehicle, however focusing on the flaws misses the entire point of being a super efficient and luxurious way to transport people and their things over vast distances while burning no gasoline and polluting your neighborhood. There are many alternatives, and fine other choices, but for what it offers, it stands alone as a shining example of the future of transportation.

Reactions: ankitmishra
Yes, would definitely like to hear more on this.

@aesculus - Can you preview what during the factory tour may help with the anxiety?
If you take the tour with Adam (maybe others are equally as informative and enthusiastic), you will walk away as a believer in not only the principle of Tesla, but how they are going about making the cars. There is still a lot of human aspects in the production which is good and bad but I think you will feel good about what you see.

I left with no defects and even when I got home and poured over the car after driving it 150 miles, I found very little to gripe about. This was the extent of the problems I discovered:
  • I have some clear glue that got spread in two places under the drivers side FWD threshold. I know it will come off with the proper solvent as I was able to use my fingernail and scrape a bit off exposing the good finish or the paint underneath.
  • I have a tiny cut in the driver's side FWD gasket that should be replaced but is not affecting anything at the moment
  • Inside both FWD door jams at the rear bottom corner the paint is not as nice as it should be. Not going to even address this as only I notice it and it can only be detected by certain lighting or running your hand over the area (about 4" square). The paint spray machine should have extended out a bit more than it does. I might mention it to Tesla just as a matter of record but they have probably already re-calibrated the paint machine by now.
  • I have had a few quirks with the drivers door but fixed it quickly by forcing it all the way open and then closing it from the inside by using the brake. Only happened once. I suspect a firmware update will fix this at some point as it may be a bit too sensitive right now. Easily fixed and only required me to grab the door and give it a tweak a few times. All working fine now.

There were two other MX's being delivered the same time as mine and I did not see anyone point out anything major in their cars either. It looks like most of the issues have been resolved to just minor occurrences at this point. The quality of my paint was very good for a production car (I say this because I have painted many concours cars and won many shows so I know good paining when I see it). While a factory car can never compare to a show car finish, you can tell whats good and whats not. I am not going to do any additional finishing on my car. It's fine the way it is.

If you take the tour with Adam (maybe others are equally as informative and enthusiastic), you will walk away as a believer in not only the principle of Tesla, but how they are going about making the cars. There is still a lot of human aspects in the production which is good and bad but I think you will feel good about what you see.

I left with no defects and even when I got home and poured over the car after driving it 150 miles, I found very little to gripe about. This was the extent of the problems I discovered:
  • I have some clear glue that got spread in two places under the drivers side FWD threshold. I know it will come off with the proper solvent as I was able to use my fingernail and scrape a bit off exposing the good finish or the paint underneath.
  • I have a tiny cut in the driver's side FWD gasket that should be replaced but is not affecting anything at the moment
  • Inside both FWD door jams at the rear bottom corner the paint is not as nice as it should be. Not going to even address this as only I notice it and it can only be detected by certain lighting or running your hand over the area (about 4" square). The paint spray machine should have extended out a bit more than it does. I might mention it to Tesla just as a matter of record but they have probably already re-calibrated the paint machine by now.
  • I have had a few quirks with the drivers door but fixed it quickly by forcing it all the way open and then closing it from the inside by using the brake. Only happened once. I suspect a firmware update will fix this at some point as it may be a bit too sensitive right now. Easily fixed and only required me to grab the door and give it a tweak a few times. All working fine now.

There were two other MX's being delivered the same time as mine and I did not see anyone point out anything major in their cars either. It looks like most of the issues have been resolved to just minor occurrences at this point. The quality of my paint was very good for a production car (I say this because I have painted many concours cars and won many shows so I know good paining when I see it). While a factory car can never compare to a show car finish, you can tell whats good and whats not. I am not going to do any additional finishing on my car. It's fine the way it is.

Glad to hear your Model X is so nearly perfect and it sounds like you notice the details. Would you mind posting your experience in this thread:
How many people got a "problem-free" Model X?

I think that selling your car before you take possession of it is just like selling your reservation, you can't do it. You will have to take possession and then transfer the title to the next owner. The tax credit would stay with the original purchaser (you).
If this weren't so, it would be a way around not being able to sell your reservation