Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3 week mark would be next Tuesday.... I'm using my COUNTER to keep track haha:rolleyes: 5 days to go Come on software update!!

I did speak to my SM and he said that tesla should be pushing this update out to effected cars first but just in case he will keep an eye on it and make sure I get it asap...

I'll be sure to post any updates here...

I'm one of the 1% affected by the counter. I have a P90DL that I got in July '16. Each morning on the way to taking my son to school, we use launch mode twice on the industrial road behind my house.

With PowerTools, I am now consistently hitting 3.1-3.2 on the 0-60mph. I have logs from Sept, but not sure how to calculate my 0-60 precisely. I do remember hitting 2.9 back then.

I just got the update yesterday but am holding off installing it. I wanted to document the counter.

Here's my plan:
1. Charge to 100%
2. Heat up Ludicrous to max power while charging
3. Using PowerTools, track 2 launches 0-60mph
4. Video the whole thing
5. Repeat for a 2nd day

Then I'll install update and repeat the process for 2 more days and see if my times improved.

Anything else, I should do?

I'm one of the 1% affected by the counter. I have a P90DL that I got in July '16. Each morning on the way to taking my son to school, we use launch mode twice on the industrial road behind my house.

With PowerTools, I am now consistently hitting 3.1-3.2 on the 0-60mph. I have logs from Sept, but not sure how to calculate my 0-60 precisely. I do remember hitting 2.9 back then.

I just got the update yesterday but am holding off installing it. I wanted to document the counter.

Here's my plan:
1. Charge to 100%
4. Video the whole thing
5. Repeat for a 2nd day

Then I'll install update and repeat the process for 2 more days and see if my times improved.

Wow launch mode twice a day. W kid on way to school. OK I'll bite in the off chance for real.
Do it all on one day w multiple runs before and after. And use teslalog to generate graphs, in addition to power tools peak.

And stop using launch mode.

Here's my plan:
1. Charge to 100%
4. Video the whole thing
5. Repeat for a 2nd day

In addition to 0-60, take a note of max power kwh.

Reactions: hostman

Here's my plan:
1. Charge to 100%
4. Video the whole thing
5. Repeat for a 2nd day

How do you know that you got the update that removes the counters and restores the power?

Wow launch mode twice a day. W kid on way to school. OK I'll bite in the off chance for real.
Do it all on one day w multiple runs before and after. And use teslalog to generate graphs, in addition to power tools peak.

And stop using launch mode.
Definitely real.
Part of my rationale for NOT doing it all in one day is:
1. I've noticed that when I do repeated launches in a row, subsequent launches get slower. Especially 3 and 4
2. Most updates take 2 hours or so.
3. I want to make sure that my battery is at 100% each day. So that if it clocks slower speeds, it's not from a lower battery output

Finally, the whole point of having Ludicrous Launch Mode is to enjoy it. I've never been a car guy before ... but seriously ... this damn car brings a smile to my face each and every day!!

Has anyone else got a software update notice? I currently have 2.52.22. Haven't see any other posts about it, so I'm wondering if they pushed it out to me early due to launch mode use.

There are six updates out, after 2.52.22. About 500 people have reported having these updates here:

Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

Some of those updates are limited to AP2 cars, but some are for AP1 cars. When you receive an update, you can add your data at the site above.

Wow, was that uncalled for!

You have been constantly bemoaning the fact that more people haven't come forward to report that they have had Tesla's counter limit implemented on their cars. Then when someone does, you suggest that they are probably lying! That's bullying 101. STOP IT!

Has anyone else got a software update notice? I currently have 2.52.22. Haven't see any other posts about it, so I'm wondering if they pushed it out to me early due to launch mode use.

Just got a software update notice I'm hoping @wk057 can check / confirm if it has any BMS changes... Looking at the tracker I would guess its 17.4.14........

@wk057 confirms, that there are some BMS changes but its unclear what has changed... Updating now will report back with power readings if they have changed or not I will know soon...

No change to performance but a change to the state of charge... car was charged to 90% before the update now it says its charged to 93%. Charger was unplugged during the update so it didn't just charge while updateing... maybe a change to the reserved brick amounts for the pack caused the 3% increase??

I've already tested and posted about it in this thread... the most current software release it did not restore the cars power.

Definitely real.
Part of my rationale for NOT doing it all in one day is:
1. I've noticed that when I do repeated launches in a row, subsequent launches get slower. Especially 3 and 4
2. Most updates take 2 hours or so.
3. I want to make sure that my battery is at 100% each day. So that if it clocks slower speeds, it's not from a lower battery output

Finally, the whole point of having Ludicrous Launch Mode is to enjoy it. I've never been a car guy before ... but seriously ... this damn car brings a smile to my face each and every day!!

Ludicrous WOT is the same acceleration as Ludicrous LM. Only difference is that there is plausible speculation that Ludicrous LM causes additional stress to something in the car. No point in using LM over WOT.

Charge to 100% (or ~95% or whatever as long as it is the same) before each run, or at least each set of runs on either side of the update. On same day would be best to control for traction,ambient temp, HVAC, battery temp and other conditions.

Most updates say they take 2 hours and actually take 45 minutes.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: hostman
And as I said above I've tested with the most current software already, unfortunately no change yet...

Genuinely I think it is unfortunate it's not already fixed, so on a personal note I hope Tesla "see you right" soon.

The hole is below the waterline for me, I won't buy a performance Tesla after this sorry saga, so all I can offer is sincere appreciation of your honesty and frankness.

I'd offer to buy you a drink or three if you were ever in the UK.

Saying that a U.S roadtrip is on my bucket list for 2017... so who knows !! (Trump border control policies allowing ;) )

Genuinely I think it is unfortunate it's not already fixed, so on a personal note I hope Tesla "see you right" soon.

The hole is below the waterline for me, I won't buy a performance Tesla after this sorry saga, so all I can offer is sincere appreciation of your honesty and frankness.

I'd offer to buy you a drink or three if you were ever in the UK.

Saying that a U.S roadtrip is on my bucket list for 2017... so who knows !! (Trump border control policies allowing ;) )

Thanks SMAC!!
I'm looking forward to many TMC bar conversations about this one once its in the past!! hehe :rolleyes:
I do feel the whole community came together on this one to help make it right!!
THANKS TMC!! :D