Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe the p85 ludicrous upgrade restriction was that only the original owner of the vehicle could do it.

When it was announced the offer was for "six months." Tesla never clarified if that was six months from the announcement date, from when it actually became available, or from some other date. There was much discussion on here about putting down the deposit before various dates, as it was not clear when Tesla would cut it off.

As I learned above, apparently Tesla never did cut it off, but a six-month window was definitely part of the original announcement.

Edit: Found the reference to six months, in a blog post from Elon Musk --

"This option will cost $10k for new buyers. In appreciation of our existing P85D owners, the pack electronics upgrade needed for Ludicrous Mode will be offered for the next six months at only $5k plus installation labor."

Three Dog Day

Last edited:
Reactions: hostman
Your point is totally valid. They really are amazing cars. And without many, if any competition in the EV market for that price point and performance.

So that being said - why then over promise and under deliver? ....

My guess is marketing, exposure...they don't do paid advertising, so they try to increase visibility with free publicity by "wow"-ing auto journalists with "quickest four-door sedan, 10.9, yada yada..."

I received a response about the recent power reduction from my SA. Basically stating nothing is wrong with my battery ( which I knew ), and that everything is working as expected. If I have any further inquiries to refer to my owners manual. He quoted Jon's statement that all power reductions were removed.
So obviously this is going to again be another long drawn out affair.

I am so tired of it all - that I am considering to step away, and accept where I am at now. This may be the best option. Where I am hoping my daily spirited driving won't cause my battery harm. And unless I use LM, I will not be able to damage the battery.

I wish Tesla could give us guidance on what to do to avoid toasting the battery, but still enjoy the performance.If I can still damage the battery when accepting this reduced power mode? How can I keep the car past the battery warranty period?

Reactions: bhzmark and hostman
I received a response about the recent power reduction from my SA. Basically stating nothing is wrong with my battery ( which I knew ), and that everything is working as expected. If I have any further inquiries to refer to my owners manual. He quoted Jon's statement that all power reductions were removed.
So obviously this is going to again be another long drawn out affair.

I am so tired of it all - that I am considering to step away, and accept where I am at now. This may be the best option. Where I am hoping my daily spirited driving won't cause my battery harm. And unless I use LM, I will not be able to damage the battery.

I wish Tesla could give us guidance on what to do to avoid toasting the battery, but still enjoy the performance.If I can still damage the battery when accepting this reduced power mode? How can I keep the car past the battery warranty period?

This is unfortunate. I am still waiting on a response from my SA. I sent them my logs and explained the problem in detail...

I am thankful that I leased the car so I can be rid of it easily when my lease is up. I doubt I will lease another unless this is resolved.

Seems to be very much still available here ...

Tesla — LUDICROUS MODE ONLY (P85D) - PRE ORDER DEPOSIT

... at least I'm confident Tesla would take my $500 deposit. And I don't see why they wouldn't do the upgrade to get their fingers on the rest of the $5k if I were dumb/naive/ignorant enough to request it. I do doubt very much they would allow me to stay on my beloved v7.1 firmware however ...

Tesla seems to have relaxed the must-purchase-by date, by will only deliver the upgrade to the original owner. If you buy a CPO or used P85D, Tesla won't upgrade it to P85DL, and a few people have tried.

That does mean that whatever problem these packs have will need to be resolved eventually or effectively all P cars expire 8 years from purchase.

That could be a great marketing tactic:

Tesla: "Our performance models expire eight years from the date they are purchased. Can you say that about your milk?"

On the other hand, maybe not...

So that being said - why then over promise and under deliver? Tesla has the product to sell lots of cars. Just deliver a reliable car, that is spec'd to perform admirably, and can easily meet the spec. Doesn't have to compete with super cars.
For the original P85 Model S, we owners came to know and appreciate what you're describing. Unfortunately, every "P" model since then has followed a different marketing philosophy. I'm not sure why the switch. As I've pointed out on numerous occasions, I think the hubris is running counter to the company mission -- and has been for a while. :(

The answer is that you can not own the car out of warranty for the battery, especially if you have a P car.
I agree. Unless Tesla can speak up and give us some guidance. Tell us how to drive the car and avoid damaging the battery.
Like we ever had a chance in the first place. All the bragging by Tesla about the incredible performance. And all the you tube drag videos. No mention from Tesla that you better not do this regularly.
I don't know what is acceptable. I was told during the purchasing process to simply slip into ludicrous mode and enjoy.
Isn't this the classic bait and switch?
Back in my younger days, someone would be getting an ass kicking for this.

I agree. Unless Tesla can speak up and give us some guidance. Tell us how to drive the car and avoid damaging the battery.
Like we ever had a chance in the first place. All the bragging by Tesla about the incredible performance. And all the you tube drag videos. No mention from Tesla that you better not do this regularly.
I don't know what is acceptable. I was told during the purchasing process to simply slip into ludicrous mode and enjoy.
Isn't this the classic bait and switch?
Back in my younger days, someone would be getting an ass kicking for this.
I apologize. I am in no way a person of violent actions.

i attempted to explain the situation to my petrol head co-worker. when i mentioned the whole "no one knows what driving style results in failed packs..." he responded with "well yah, we have 100 years of gasoline tech knowledge to pull from." i said "exactly, pretty much everyone knows not to drive around pegging the redline all day long."

Reactions: Walta
i attempted to explain the situation to my petrol head co-worker. when i mentioned the whole "no one knows what driving style results in failed packs..." he responded with "well yah, we have 100 years of gasoline tech knowledge to pull from." i said "exactly, pretty much everyone knows not to drive around pegging the redline all day long."
I know. Exactly.

This is all new to us. We do not want to damage our vehicles. Yet Tesla is encouraging we drive aggressively. Even taunting the P100D owners.

And then with P90D we are left guessing how to drive to enjoy the performance and not break something.

Is this the most F'd up situation? After spending $150k for something you would NEVER expect this insanity.

Tesla seems to have relaxed the must-purchase-by date, by will only deliver the upgrade to the original owner. If you buy a CPO or used P85D, Tesla won't upgrade it to P85DL, and a few people have tried.

I beg to differ, check my signature ;) ...but my buy timing might have been somewhat unique.

Since "Countergate Part 2/LM only" started, I don't remember reading about other P85DL owners attempt to see if Power is limited below 1500A without LM. I can't try much here in the current weather, by the time the battery reaches Max Heat, SOC will be well below 90%!
So I won't be able to contribute for another couple of months which only makes me even more curious!

Is the Power limitation outside of LM really only impacting the P90DL v3 owners that were doing 1600A?
or if you prefer are we seeing lower than 1500A when pedal mashing on all other non-1600A batteries (P90DL v1, v2, P85DL)?

Wondering if they just isolated the P90DL v3 owners a little more than before with this latest change...
This could also imply that owning a PxxDL outside warranty might be ok if it never was able to reach 1600A?

I beg to differ, check my signature ;) ...but my buy timing might have been somewhat unique.

Since "Countergate Part 2/LM only" started, I don't remember reading about other P85DL owners attempt to see if Power is limited below 1500A without LM. I can't try much here in the current weather, by the time the battery reaches Max Heat, SOC will be well below 90%!
So I won't be able to contribute for another couple of months which only makes me even more curious!

Is the Power limitation outside of LM really only impacting the P90DL v3 owners that were doing 1600A?
or if you prefer are we seeing lower than 1500A when pedal mashing on all other non-1600A batteries (P90DL v1, v2, P85DL)?

Wondering if they just isolated the P90DL v3 owners a little more than before with this latest change...
This could also imply that owning a PxxDL outside warranty might be ok if it never was able to reach 1600A?
Very good points and questions. We need this info to understand the scope of all this. Could it be we are all riding a warranty time bomb? I am guessing it is only the 1600 amp group. But as unethical as things have progressed? Who knows.