Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I check this thread every now and then.

So where are we now? Is this thing fixed or not? Any admissions by Tesla other than the existence of the counter?

We now have proof from Tesla that there is a database of power restricted cars that they can check VINs against, to see if a car in question is power restricted or not.

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

@Az_Rael's Service Invoice:

Power Limit.jpg

We also have this:

One week ago today, I learned this bombshell. I have 5,000 miles and I drive totally normal. No launch mode. Some spirited merges. Occasional demo to prospective Tesla curious folks:

Service advisor just gave me credible info.

3 counters

One for Launches/WOT over 1500 amps. (I have 92 and have never used launch mode)

One for rolling mashes that are hard but under 1500 amps (mine is 134)

One for "mixture" (mine is 311.6)

They are protecting wire bonds.

625 is hard cut for Launches.

Rolling mashes counts towards mixture. Cut is 3068 for Mixture limit.

@P85DEE responding to some stuff that I didn't get around to on the mobile:

AnxietyRanger said:
Some might argue going to represent yourself through a lawyer is a fools errand when joining a class action is also available...
Actually I'd say that.

However not seeking a judgment because a class action is unavailable isn't necessarily a good move either.

I'm all for agreeing where there is agreement. We mostly agree. The part we differed about was publicity. I was/am for it, you were against. No matter, we agree on more than we disagree on this I think.

Indeed they do.

Class actions also often result in the lawyers making large sums and members of the class individually ending up with a pittance.

Agreed. It is an unfortunate side product. Personally I still feel it can be useful in cases where the corporation is refusing make things right. A class action suit (or threat of it) encourages them to at least do better going forward, even if the monetary settlement isn't as big as one might get going solo. When going solo, the pressure to fix things going forward isn't as big. Some secret out of court settlement and dusting it all under the carpet is often the way there and that doesn't make things right going forward (is my fear).

Reactions: Andyw2100
No, you most certainly do not know me. If you did, then you'd know that the passive aggessive approach doesn't work with me either. It's not always what you say, but how you say it.

I don't mean to be passive aggressive. I do tease a bit sometimes, but I think that is a bit different from what you think you are seeing.

If it should come to pass that this matter is solved for all, then I don't think that anyone in here, myself included, would be against such an occurrence.

Great!

Your effort, to imply that I would not welcome such an instance, can be seen a mile away. And I can tell you for a fact, that it won't stand without response.

That's ludicrous. Why would I think you would not welcome such an outcome? No, my fear is that your preferred way of handling would not be optimal for that outcome - not that you wouldn't prefer that outcome were it to happen anyway. To be clear, I am confident you would like an outcome that solves this for all. In fact, I am 100% confident you would prefer this issue to not exist at all.

However, when the final chapter on this matter is written, should it come to pass, that it's only addressed for some, well then that's better than a scenario where it's addressed for none.

I agree.

That said, my point is, I would prefer this to be handled in a way that maximizes the chance of this being solved for all. In that publicity helps. Class action suits can help too. Handling this in private with an individual lawsuit and restraining from publicity (which, again, is what you advocated for and which is our disagreement), I fear, would not contribute to solving this for all. Hence I would prefer not to start from that.

Again with the passive aggressive. You tend to speak in generalities quite often, I've noticed.

I agree I do, but the interpretation that I spoke of "one" and meant to infer an aggression on you is your own - or that I was even talking of you. I certainly don't think you want out of Teslas so I did not talk about you.

I was simply noting that motivations change perspectives. If one's (anyone's) motivation is to just solve this for one car and then get out of Tesla, an individual lawsuit certainly can achieve that. If one's motivation is to buy another Tesla, then such a private resolution might not help there (as the core issue might not get solved at all)... in fact, with Tesla's history against customers perceived as difficult, they might even make getting that second Tesla harder.

So, my point was, motivations certainly can change depending on whether or not one just wants a resolution for the current car and out of Teslas... vs. if one wants a resolution and confidence to continue with Teslas.

Have you considered writing a letter to your congressman?

Oops, sorry. I meant to say has "one" considered writing a letter to "one's" congressman.

How about going on a hunger strike?

Now, that's passive aggressive. :)

Reactions: davidc18
Interesting development ... Electric GT unveils stripped-down Tesla Model S P100D with 2.0-sec 0 to 60 mph acceleration

Electric GT, an all-Tesla and all-electric racing championship, recently announced that they will use the Tesla Model S P100D instead of the Model S P85+ for their race car. They unveiled their modified version at the annual Autosport International Show in Birmingham today and claimed some impressing new specs. While they first aimed to use the P85+ for its powerful rear-wheel-drive motor, the new dual motor P100D was just too much of an improvement to be ignored for their championship.

Electric GT strips the interior of its race cars, which reduces significantly the weight of its vehicles.
Musk recently said that the acceleration from 0 to 60 mph could be improved to 2.1 seconds in a stripped down Model S P100D:

upload_2017-1-14_15-37-14-png.210557

I agree I do, but the interpretation that I spoke of "one" and meant to infer an aggression on you is your own

You didn't infer it and I'm not accusing you of such. You actually implied it. I inferred it. And had good reason to.

....I was simply noting that motivations change perspectives.

I've seen no one here argue otherwise.

If one's (anyone's) motivation is to just solve this for one car and then get out of Tesla, an individual lawsuit certainly can achieve that.

"And then get out of Tesla"?????? Since that is not my motivation, and I have not indicated anything of the sort, what on earth is the "motivation" in bringing this up???

If one's motivation is to buy another Tesla, then such a private resolution might not help there (as the core issue might not get solved at all)...

And then again, it just might.

in fact, with Tesla's history against customers perceived as difficult, they might even make getting that second Tesla harder.

And then they might not. Neither of us has a crystal ball. Also neither of us can predict if they may, or may not, behave the same negative way towards those whom they had reason to believe were part of a class in a class action suit.

They get pissed, fine. They don't, that's fine too. I'm willing to go either way. You may or not be. But this journey is liable to take balls.

In this case, I can't allow a fear of; "they might get mad at me and retaliate, should I seek justice and sue them" govern whether or not I seek justice for a wrong done me now, should I be hit now.

And so the position that;
"in fact, with Tesla's history against customers perceived as difficult, they might even make getting that second Tesla harder",
is a weak one.

It suggest that we should just take it up the a$$ from them for fear that if we react to any of their wrongdoing, and have the stones to "put our name on it", as opposed to "hiding within a group" in a class action suit, that they might make buying another Tesla difficult for us.

I don't want their car bad enough to cower in fear of what they might do when/if I go to buy the next one, because I stood up, alone if necessary, and protested how I had been treated the first time

So, my point was, motivations certainly can change depending on whether or not one just wants a resolution for the current car and out of Teslas... vs. if one wants a resolution and confidence to continue with Teslas..

No one is contesting that. However this "point" does not apply to me. And the only motivation that I see for bringing up, or "making" this point, in an exchange with me, is an attempt to associate me with it.

That tactic will result in an aggressive response, passive or otherwise, any and every time you attempt it with me. I'm like most anyone else. You poke me with a stick, and at the very least, I'll poke back. That's if I can't take it from you and hit you over the head with it.

I agree.

That said, my point is, I would prefer this to be handled in a way that maximizes the chance of this being solved for all. In that publicity helps. Class action suits can help too. Handling this in private with an individual lawsuit and restraining from publicity (which, again, is what you advocated for and which is our disagreement), I fear, would not contribute to solving this for all. Hence I would prefer not to start from that.

Sometimes our "preferences" aren't necessarily how things end up working out. Sometimes our "preferences", and proceeding in our acts upon them, result in unintended results.

Case in point, your buddy's "preference" was not to have the lawyer's show up anywhere near this. However despite his "preference", they have apparently ended up showing up, anyway.

So despite his "preference", his efforts were instrumental in attracting a group which he did not intend to attract.

Funny thing about "publicity" and how it often times works when it comes to those who, well, who..... actively seek it. I'm sure that the Kardashian sisters, Madonna, and a number of other celebrities can attest to this.

Often times when it is sought, it not only attracts those who would wish the seeker well, but too often, in this day and age, it also attracts those who would not. And sometimes the latter group can significantly outnumber the former.

That was/is my concern.

The best way, IMO to avoid attracting the attention of those would not wish us the best outcome in this matter would have been to avoid the method that you disagree with me on.

Indeed, I believe that someone else, either mentioned, or alluded to an effective method, albeit on another subject, a method which would have served the same end as "open publicity" and would have been effective. A survey of other owners of this car could have been done discretely, and without running the risk of attracting the "riff raff", "trolls" etc., that open involvement on the internet is notorious for.

We will never agree on this, and that's fine. But I won't let you or anyone else distort my position.

Last edited:
You didn't infer it and I'm not accusing you of such. You actually implied it. I inferred it. And had good reason to.

What I said was this: "I think solving this for all - and for good - is in our interests who would prefer to stay vested in Teslas, unless of course one just wants cash and out of Teslas entirely."

Since I do not think you are wanting to get out of Teslas, I definitely was not talking about you. I guess you fall into the middle of these extremes I mentioned IMO. You are not out to get compensation and out of Teslas, nor is your priority fixing this for all. You are neither one of these examples. You don't share the first view, nor is your motivation the latter either.

I've seen no one here argue otherwise.

"And then get out of Tesla"?????? Since that is not my motivation, and I have not indicated anything of the sort, what on earth is the "motivation" in bringing this up???

I am not claiming anyone has said otherwise. I am trying to explain my opinion through examples. So I am saying I would agree if one's motivation is to get out of Teslas, seeking any kind of private personal resolution might be the optimal route in my opinion as well. I am mapping out the extent of our agreement.

On the other hand, I would disagree with this being optimal if one wants to stick with Teslas. I understand you are one of those people that would seek resolution privately (not in public) and still want to remain with Teslas in the future? Again do correct me if I'm wrong.

So in your scenario, I would disagree it being optimal since it offers little in the way of creating pressure for that next car to be better. But this would not matter in the scenario of someone just wanting a cash out of Teslas... there a quick private lawsuit might be optimal even in my opinion.

No one is contesting that. However this "point" does not apply to me. And the only motivation that I see for bringing up, or "making" this point, in an exchange with me, is an attempt to associate me with it.

That tactic will result in an aggressive response, passive or otherwise, any and every time you attempt it with me. I'm like most anyone else. You poke me with a stick, and at the very least, I'll poke back. That's if I can't take it from you and hit you over the head with it.

While I can never make you see this probably, all I can say is that in that sentence you were seeing intent that was not there. I have never for a minute thought you'd want out of Teslas. I was simply not talking about you in that sentence, not even hinting. I was merely expressing where I actually agree a private lawsuit (any altruistic points aside) might be most effective - the exit scenario.

Sometimes our "preferences" aren't necessarily how things end up working out. Sometimes out "preferences", and proceeding in our acts upon them, result in unintended results.

Case in point, your buddy's "preference" was not to have the lawyer's show up anywhere near this. However despite his "preference", they have apparently ended us showing up, anyway.

So despite his "preference", his efforts were instrumental in attracting a group which he did not intend to attract.

I will let others speak for their preferences, but I am not sure that is entirely accurate. I simply have not seen the reluctance of seeing lawyers involved that you have been seeing. I have seen reluctance in personally starting a lawsuit, which is quite different. As said, I have seen the past thread in a different light.

Can you name the user who you refer to, so that they can respond? I don't want to make a mistake on that reference either.

The best way, IMO to avoid attracting the attention of those would not wish us the best outcome in this matter wove been to avoid the method that you disagree with me on.

Obviously. But as I've said, the other price of that is also avoiding any benefits publicity may have. Hence the disagreement on what each values. Every solution is a compromise and has downsides, of course. There are both pros and cons to publicity and remaining private.

I'm pretty much done discussing this particular of the matter anyway.

Any differences that we have on this matter in it's entirety and on how it should be approached, are probably going to remain differences.

I am not going to change his position, and he is not going to change mine.

And so since discussing this further on the open forum, or via PM, is unlikely to result in a change of either of our positions and is thus more than likely.... "a fools errand.";)

Get a room

Why? Were you planning on joining us???

• Funny
Reactions: mmd

I don't understand. The article talks about Electric GT "racing" the P100D on the track:

--
It will be interesting to see the vehicle on the race track and we shouldn’t have to wait too long since the company has been promising videos ahead of the championship’s beginning later this year.

It’s going to take place on racing circuits in Europe and the Americas.:

“There will be 10 teams and 20 drivers, who will compete across seven races during season one. Weekends will consist of a 20-minute practice session, 60-minute qualifying, a day race (60km) and a dusk race (60km). Each round will be a weekend-long festival of technology and innovation for sustainability, in and around the circuits.”
--

I thought it was basically agreed that Model Ss are lousy track cars because of how quickly they get hot and limit power. Has Electric GT made modifications to cool the parts that get hot and result in power limiting?

I thought it was basically agreed that Model Ss are lousy track cars because of how quickly they get hot and limit power. Has Electric GT made modifications to cool the parts that get hot and result in power limiting?

I thought I had read that they were doing that with the P85+s, and that they were even working with Tesla on it. Maybe that is part of why they made the switch is that Tesla took some of what they learned together and applied it to the P100Ds. (Making the conversion easier.)

I don't understand. The article talks about Electric GT "racing" the P100D on the track:

As they have yet to even set their first race, the car being promoted belongs to the potential race organiser, not real race teams. It's all very much up in the air. Autosport international is an eclectic event (it's just down the road from where I live so have been a couple of times) with the smallest of startups exhibiting alongside the biggest names in Formula 1.

I suspect Electric GT are still trying to get enough interest to find teams to make the series viable, something Formula-E struggled with despite being backed by FIA.

I wish the guy behind it all the best of luck, but realistically a one make race series not fully supported by the manufacturer is going to be a real challenge to get off the ground. TBH I really can't see it is particularly in Tesla's interest to invest in it, partly because the car is probably not the best platform and taking it circuit racing highlights the downsides, but equally as a marketing message it doesn't really fit with their core mission statement.

Removing 1000 lbs from the car should certainly help.
Which is close to the difference between the original 60 and a fully loaded P90DL :eek:

My car is clearly a Model S "Cup" edition ;)

Saying that one problem is likely in the motor cooling (all the RWD cars have the same official power rating of just 89kW due to the test process being over 30 minutes), so a big advantage of the D cars is the ability to share the heat build up over 2 motors.

You spend a lot of your time seeking accuracy and correcting others when they are less than precise.
Well I just don't appreciate someone "dropping the mic" on me when I know I am correct on a point. I'm pretty sure most people would respond back rather than keeping silent when confronted like that. Otherwise, I'm fine letting small inaccuracies go if it is beside the point.

In this post, you speculate about dropping quarter mile times by .2 seconds using wheels and optimization (yep, I summarized just to get to my point).

If you care for accuracy, I would recommend a conversation with Fiks prior to the above post as you may find you are way off base.

You may find a hint to this conundrum in the power increase from the P90DL V1 initial production to the V3 which finally ran faster than 11.0. That is what it took the manufacturer to achieve the advertised goal.

As for the MT car, I could care less about the blouse (up top), I want to peak under the skirt and find out what battery was used :)

Please feel free to accurate up my post.
Well I participated way back in 2015 in some of the P90DL threads when everyone was so sure that high 11.3x (closer to 11.4) was pretty much the best possible with stock wheels/tires. Then now the record for v1 is 11.22 with pano and stock everything by someone who didn't do any preparations for the track whatsoever (not even adjusting tire psi). It goes against what everyone thought is impossible.

Now, I haven't participated in every single thread out there on this subject, but my impression is that the best possible time for v1 have not been found yet (I guess attention shifted with the release of v2/v3, and now p100d). Others have not replicated even the 11.22 mentioned (which we know is possible). There's been previous talk about how drag radials would not be helpful for any of the D models, but I don't believe anyone did a comparison yet.

As for me appearing to be meticulous about accuracy, the current subject matter we are discussing is really dependent on accuracy in the first place. We are talking about a 0.2 second difference in the quarter mile, where such detail does matter.

But this is getting further from my original point that the peak amps of the battery pack is only on tangentially related to the 1/4 mile. Even if accepting the point about it being impossible for any change other than power to address the issue, considering that the best time so far for a v3 is 10.804, that leaves Tesla room to cut power down to an amount that supports a 10.999 at optimal conditions. Definitely not as straightforward as if Tesla promised 1600A peak.

Last edited:
Well I just don't appreciate someone "dropping the mic" on me when I know I am correct on a point. I'm pretty sure most people would respond back rather than keeping silent when confronted like that. Otherwise, I'm fine letting small inaccuracies go if it is beside the point.

Well I participated way back in 2015 in some of the P90DL threads when everyone was so sure that high 11.3x (closer to 11.4) was pretty much the best possible with stock wheels/tires. Then now the record for v1 is 11.22 with pano and stock everything by someone who didn't do any preparations for the track whatsoever (not even adjusting tire psi). It goes against what everyone thought is impossible.

Now, I haven't participated in every single thread out there on this subject, but my impression is that the best possible time for v1 have not been found yet (I guess attention shifted with the release of v2/v3, and now p100d). Others have not replicated even the 11.22 mentioned (which we know is possible). There's been previous talk about how drag radials would not be helpful for any of the D models, but I don't believe anyone did a comparison yet.

As for me appearing to be meticulous about accuracy, the current subject matter we are discussing is really dependent on accuracy in the first place. We are talking about a 0.2 second difference in the quarter mile, where such detail does matter.

But this is getting further from my original point that the peak amps of the battery pack is only on tangentially related to the 1/4 mile. Even if accepting the point about it being impossible for any change other than power to address the issue, considering that the best time so far for a v3 is 10.804, that leaves Tesla room to cut power down to an amount that supports a 10.999 at optimal conditions. Definitely not as straightforward as if Tesla promised 1600A peak.

Not to open this particular can of worms any wider than it's getting already, but Car and Driver stated 11.1 in their test of the P90D, where they reported their results in their January 2016 issue.

2015 Tesla Model S P90D - Instrumented Test

Their 11.1 was the average of two runs in each direction. This means of course that both runs had to be 11.1, or one of the two runs had to have been better than 11.1 and the other worse than 11.1.

"When we test, we average two acceleration runs in opposite directions to eliminate wind and grade effects."

Just throwing that out there.