Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to thank the OP, @Ingineer, for bringing this out to the forefront and forcing Tesla to do the right thing. Without @Ingineer's notice, we would have been left in the dark about what really was going on!

Hear, hear! Big thanks to @Ingineer, @NSX1992, @Tech_Guy, @wk057, @hostman and others for furnishing us with an increasing stream of information.

They did what the Tesla related news sites failed to do.

There is a name for that, it is called the fallacy of relative privation.

Look, Electrek is an EV site that covers EV matters in intense detail. They post about minute changes to Tesla Design Studio that affect almost nobody. Exploring the Countergate would have been right up their alley - and they chose to be coy about it, to the extent of leaving a false impression on readership (that this only applied to launch mode which it did not). I think the choice was intentional and detrimental.

Teslarati for example I'm not sure has covered this at all yet. So clearly there is a pattern that owners should take note. You still need some more brutal sites to get to the detail of the negative stuff, it may get moderated out of the other newsstreams. I am actually very glad and impressed how useful service TMC was on this one. It was not always so IMO. Kudos to TMC.

Yes kudos to TMC for not engaging in a massively time consuming conspiracy to silence rich people who are guilty of nothing other than wanting to have nothing stand in their way of getting their jollies off.

Teslarati and Electrek are the god d*mned mortal enemies of all good people who will die unless they can go 0-60 in 2.5 seconds as many times as they f*cking well please.

TIL not everyone who buys a Tesla cares about the good the company is trying to do for the world, but instead are only interested in ways they can boost their own egos by showing off their insanely expensive toys to their friends whenever they want.

Last edited:
Yes kudos to TMC for not engaging in a massively time consuming conspiracy to silence rich people who are guilty of nothing other than wanting to have nothing stand in their way of getting their jollies off.

Teslarati and Electrek are the god d*mned mortal enemies of all good people who will die unless they can go 0-60 in 2.5 seconds as many times as the f*cking well please.

TIL not everyone who buys a Tesla cares about the good the company is trying to do for the world, but instead are only interested in ways they can boost their own egos by showing off their insanely expensive toys to their friends whenever they want.

TMC seems to have been instrumental in getting the Tesla do the right thing. When we get them to do the right thing for the 1%, they are that much more likely to do the right thing for the 99%... and vice-versa had this gone unchecked and remained in force.

We have already heard relief from people with Model 3 reservations - and for good reason. They are not stupid people, they know if this happens to the best-paying customers, it is that much more likely it will happen to them too.

The EV/Tesla news sites failed in their mission to bring timely and accurate news on this one. I'm glad TMC was there to pick up the slack.

The EV/Tesla news sites failed in their mission to bring timely and accurate news on this one. I'm glad TMC was there to pick up the slack.

Let me see, how can I make this more clear.

The main problem EVs are facing is NOT how many times you can launch your car.

The main problem EVs are facing is that there is a MASSIVE GLOBAL F*CKING MEGA-INDUSTRY of fossil fuels trying to kill it dead.

So, go ahead and keep raging against Electrek and their "failed ethics".

• Disagree
Reactions: James Anders
Actually we agree, Electrek clearly moderates its information to take into consideration Tesla's best interests. This was such a case, obviously. Electrek's reporting is likely one major reason a lot of people continue to think this only affected that Launch mode thing and dismiss it as such. The reality is, it affected all Performance model driving. That is what made it a big deal and they still haven't reported it in the latest article - and you may be right they could have done it to hold back negative press reaction outside of the bubble.

I think the part where we disagree is whether or not that is good for their reporting accuracy/repuation or for owners of the cars.
I think your characterization is a bit unfair. Electrek at least covered the story, which got it visible in other media. As for them not updating the story, you have keep in mind a lot of the talk about it affecting other modes is from third party accounts of statements from service center technicians and many of it off the cuff. Those of us who participated in this thread the whole time may feel things are clear, but I can understand someone who didn't feeling a lot of this is blind speculation or even be unaware of this point completely.

And there are a lot of other more important stories going on (even considering Tesla only: like AP2, and the airbag recall for example).

Reactions: hostman
Let me see, how can I make this more clear.

The main problem EVs are facing is NOT how many times you can launch your car.

The main problem EVs are facing is that there is a MASSIVE GLOBAL F*CKING MEGA-INDUSTRY of fossil fuels trying to kill it dead.

So, go ahead and keep raging against Electrek and their "failed ethics".

I'm not raging anything, I am stating an opinion - as are you, of course. The main problem EVs are facing are not 2.34 second acceleration claims either (Ludicrous+), yet that was readily reported.

Look - I get your point. That the mission is so important, which it is, that it must be protected. I for one think the mission is so important, it must be protected from exactly mistakes like this (both Tesla's and Electrek's). The word will get out eventually anyway - but the damage will be done. Quick and transparent handling of issues has a better long-term future than trying to brush them under the carpet.

Tesla on their part fixed their mistake. I am glad for that. But the EV/Tesla news sites suppressing the information did not help in that, quite the contrary they might have helped Tesla get away with it. TMC luckily helped in righting this wrong.

Last edited:
I think your characterization is a bit unfair. Electrek at least covered the story, which got it visible in other media. As for them not updating the story, you have keep in mind a lot of the talk about it affecting other modes is from third party accounts of statements from service center technicians and many of it off the cuff. Those of us who participated in this thread the whole time may feel things are clear, but I can understand someone who didn't feeling a lot of this is blind speculation or even be unaware of this point completely.

And there are a lot of other more important stories going on (even considering Tesla only: like AP2, and the airbag recall for example).

I disagree.

I think Electrek's partial reporting actually made things worse, by implanting the idea into people's minds that the Countergate is just about drag strip launch mode use that doesn't apply to anyone driving reasonably. You can see such people on TMC outside of this thread, dismissing this because they read on Electrek it was only about the launch mode - where the story even suggested it only affects launch mode hp!

The reality on the other hand is: this affected hp in all modes, and all modes of driving increased the counters towards the hp limitation. This was totally lost in the reporting.

I'm not raging anything, I am stating an opinion - as are you, of course. The main problem EVs are facing are not 2.34 second acceleration claims either (Ludicrous+), yet that was readily reported.

Look - I get your point. That the mission is so important, which it is, that it must be protected. I for one think the mission is so important, it must be protected from exactly mistakes like this (both Tesla's and Electrek's). The word will get out eventually anyway - but the damage will be done. Quick and transparent handling of issues has a betterl long-term future than trying to brush them under the carpet.

Tesla on their part fixed their mistake. I am glad for that. But the EV/Tesla news sites suppressing the information did not help in that, quite the contrary they might have helped Tesla get away with it. TMC luckily helped in righting this wrong.

Ok. Just keep in mind that Teslarati and Electrek are not the New York Times. They are EV nerds like us who have their heart in the right place, but at the end of the day are just guys in their underwear at home posting on the internet to make a buck. Debating the "journalistic ethics" of these sites is like having a philosophical debate about goldfish.

Ok. Just keep in mind that Teslarati and Electrek are not the New York Times. They are EV nerds like us who have their heart in the right place, but at the end of the day are just guys in their underwear at home posting on the internet to make a buck. Debating the "journalistic ethics" of these sites is like having a philosophical debate about goldfish.

Well, the ethics of The New York Times have been contested enough lately... ;)

Of course I get the fact that Electrek/Teslarati are just small operations, more akin to hobbies perhaps still than businesses (maybe that will change as Tesla/EVs grow). That is also probably one reason why such biases seep through.

Personally I thought it useful to call out the bias, though, so people know to look for it and take it into consideration. Personally I had moved a lot of my daily reading to Electrek instead of TMC, but I am reversing direction now. I can not trust they will offer timely and accurate information when the going gets tough.

Personally I thought it useful to call out the bias, though, so people know to look for it and take it into consideration. Personally I had moved a lot of my daily reading to Electrek instead of TMC, but I am reversing direction now. I can not trust they will offer timely and accurate information when the going gets tough.

The going gets tough when spineless sh*tbags make false claims trying to pin their own sudden acceleration mistakes on AutoPilot, or try to make it seem like EVs catch on fire just by looking at them the wrong way.

Electrek has done an admirable job correctly setting the record straight on sh*t like this. To me this is much more important than missing some nuance on P launches.

The journalism tangent aside, I expect more and more reactions like @Chardiot. There may have only been a few active voices that dared take this on, but clearly it was a worry for a much wider audience.

It is very good Tesla fixed this. They were fast enough to hopefully avoid too much damage. For me the Tesla part of this case is now closed, assuming the limitation fixing update materializes, which I am sure it will. They did the right thing.

• Love
I hope this is a joke.

Because traditional car dealers will line up around the block to f*ck you up the ass every day of the week.

I am quite confident it was not a joke, because I felt a similar way especially about the affected Performance models. When you make a personal recommendation to someone, it is on you - your reputation and ethics are on the line...

Regular car dealers may be slimy, but on average car makers do not take 100 hp out of cars after the fact and not tell you. This was very bad of Tesla and definitely affected things like recommendations and future purchase plans for many as we can see from the relieved reactions.

Ethics aside, this is why it was so important to fix this. A lot of devoted fans were very disillusioned and changing, however reluctantly, their stance on Tesla because... well, it was that bad.

I am quite confident it was not a joke, because I felt a similar way especially about the affected Performance models. When you make a personal recommendation to someone, it is on you - your reputation and ethics are on the line...

Regular car dealers may be slimy, but on average car makers do not take 100 hp out of cars after the fact and not tell you. This was very bad of Tesla and definitely affected things like recommendations and future purchase plans for many as we can see from the relieved reactions.

Ethics aside, this is why it was so important to fix this. A lot of devoted fans were very disillusioned and changing, however reluctantly, their stance on Tesla because... well, it was that bad.

Ok you win.

Thanks to @JonMc I am now ready to set fire to another $160k to upgrade to the P100D.

As soon as they add the AR HUD.

Death to hydrocarbons.

I was pretty fed up in March when Tesla announced a facelift straight after I took delivery.

That was partly why I spent money and upgraded. Then to find out a week after taking delivery of my P90DL I discover they will remove my power.

This went towards my feelings about not buying or recommending another.

Looking on the bright side, if Tesla do put a restriction of power or warranty to new cars in the future (not retrospectivly) then maybe advertising a pre-limited car will make it more valuable?

Honestly guys, I haven't felt this good regarding my Tesla since I drove it home.

This is huge,
Me too. I would never have hit the counter myself, assuming it even exists in my P85D. That Tesla responded in a positive way impresses me as few things do. Tesla is not perfect, but Tesla does respond to us.
I am loyal to very few brands; I am fiercely loyal to Tesla. The results here are quite astounding.
Thanks Jon, great news.
I'd also like to thank @Ingineer and @wk057 for their analysis, @Tech_Guy , @AnonNJ and some others for sharing valuable information, and @lolachampcar for his dedication and help in this thread.

Fred, maybe you can update your article now?
I agree completely. Thank you all, on behalf of all of us.