Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah but seriously, they have have bigger fish to fry, like getting Model 3 off the ground.

Glad this turned out well, but let's keep our eye on the ball..."accelerating the world's transition to sustainable energy."
Totally agree. I'm sure Model 3 probably played a big part in the decision to turn around too. Right now is a horrible time to have a PR backlash over something like this. They should be 100% focused on getting Model 3 out on time and without major problems.

I must say the one disappointment in this has been Electrek and @FredLambert 's coverage. He still implies it was only about launch mode and it shows in the comments where people think it was only about launch mode.

The Countergate was about all spirited driving. Not just about launch mode. That and the fact the follow-up was only posted after Tesla's course correction is really confirmation of a bias at Electrek. Sorry to say.

Totally agree. I'm sure Model 3 probably played a big part in the decision to turn around too. Right now is a horrible time to have a PR backlash over something like this. They should be 100% focused on getting Model 3 out on time and without major problems.

If the ethics of this move aren't enough, THAT would be the reason for the flogging. This could have endangered the mission.

Reactions: hostman
I must say the one disappointment in this has been Electrek and @FredLambert 's coverage. He still implies it was only about launch mode and it shows in the comments where people think it was only about launch mode.

:facepalm:

Do you realize how infinitesimally small the bubble you live in is?

:facepalm:

Do you realize how infinitesimally small the bubble you live in is?

Electrek covers infinitesimally small details of Tesla, but this one they do not - instead post false information about its extent that surprisingly makes things look better and more reasonable than they were.

I'm not fooled.

Electrek covers infinitesimally small details of Tesla, but this one they do not - instead post false information about its extent that surprisingly makes things look better and more reasonable than they were.

I'm not fooled.

HOLY F*CKING SH*T WAKE UP.

Electrek and @FredLambert are one of the greatest assets the Tesla community has. They are the only ones doing real, honest reporting to hold back the bullsh*t clickbait that Bloomberg, WSJ, and Fortune are throwing at Tesla and EVs in general.

This is what I mean by small bubble.

Electrek and @FredLambert are one of the greatest assets the Tesla community has. They are the only ones doing real, honest reporting to hold back the bullsh*t clickbait that Bloomberg, WSJ, and Fortune are throwing at Tesla and EVs in general.

Ethics are ethics. They do not change because of which team you are on. A fact lost on many posters here as well.

Actually we agree, Electrek clearly moderates its information to take into consideration Tesla's best interests. This was such a case, obviously. Electrek's reporting is likely one major reason a lot of people continue to think this only affected that Launch mode thing and dismiss it as such. The reality is, it affected all Performance model driving. That is what made it a big deal and they still haven't reported it in the latest article - and you may be right they could have done it to hold back negative press reaction outside of the bubble.

I think the part where we disagree is whether or not that is good for their reporting accuracy/repuation or for owners of the cars.

Actually we agree, Electrek clearly moderates its information to take into consideration Tesla's best interests. This was such a case, obviously. Electrek's reporting is likely one major reason a lot of people continue to think this only affected that Launch mode thing and dismiss it as such. The reality is, it affected all Performance model driving. That is what made it a big deal and they still haven't reported it in the latest article - and you may be right they could have done it to hold back negative press reaction outside of the bubble.

I think the part where we disagree is whether or not that is good for their reporting accuracy/repuation or for owners of the cars.

B*tch we are driving $130,000 cars. Relax.

• Disagree
Reactions: dhanson865
Great, now a can upgrade to P100D.

The thing here that was most flabbergasting was this one here.

The thinking that such a disclaimer and information once it reached the owners (which it had not yet done, really) would not absolutely destroy the appeal of Performance Teslas...

I mean, the reaction to this was (excluding people who really didn't have a dog in the fight anyway) so universal on the usually pro-Tesla TMC that it quite likely would have been even worse in the buying public once the info got out there.

People buying the Performance Model S/X are not mainstream car buyers. They are people who more often than not know their stuff. And know to walk away from stuff like this.

I'm guessing this may have started showing, perhaps not in sales numbers yet, but in anecdotal order cancellations (or downgrades to less lucrative lower-end models) to be sufficiently uncomfortable for Tesla.

B*tch we are driving $130,000 cars. Relax.

I guess your implication is because this only affects Performance models, Electrek should not report on that, because the directly affected population is small.

I guess they will now also be stopping all their coverage if Ludicrous+ (even more bubbly) etc. as it has no relevance for the mainstream. ;)

p.s. Jest aside, I actually think that Model 3 buying public is one audience that deserves to learn about Tesla the company - in good and bad - to make informed decisions. Those high-end decisions will eventually filter down to the low-end.

I guess your implication is because this only affects Performance models, Electrek should not report on that, because the directly affected population is small.

I guess they will now also be stopping all their coverage if Ludicrous+ (even more bubbly) etc. as it has no relevance for the mainstream. ;)

p.s. Jest aside, I actually think that Model 3 buying public is one audience that deserves to learn about Tesla the company - in good and bad - to make informed decisions. Those high-end decisions will eventually filter down to the low-end.

My implication is that 99.9% of the world population has no idea that EVs even exist.

Getting your panties in a bunch about how many times your $130,000+ car affording ass can go 0-60 in <3 sec is uncouth.

I like launching my car like a m*therf*cker too, but the moral outrage about this issue here is embarrassing when there are people in the world dying of starvation, ok.

I like launching my car like a m*therf*cker too, but the moral outrage about this issue here is embarrassing when there are people in the world dying of starvation, ok.

There is a name for that, it is called the fallacy of relative privation.

Look, Electrek is an EV site that covers EV matters in intense detail. They post about minute changes to Tesla Design Studio that affect almost nobody. Exploring the Countergate would have been right up their alley - and they chose to be coy about it, to the extent of leaving a false impression on readership (that this only applied to launch mode which it did not). I think the choice was intentional and detrimental.

Teslarati for example I'm not sure has covered this at all yet. So clearly there is a pattern that owners should take note. You still need some more brutal sites to get to the detail of the negative stuff, it may get moderated out of the other newsstreams. I am actually very glad and impressed how useful service TMC was on this one. It was not always so IMO. Kudos to TMC.