Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should have been more specific - when stating battery damage I meant damage incurred from aggressive use only. It seems from the data that owners with V3 batteries and at least one owner of a P85DL have triggered the battery service required warning? Also Tesla's actions to reduce power support the idea that there is a threshold that they implemented to protect the battery. I am guessing it is something around 1500 amps ? So if you were to roll back the ludicrous option to insane you would be going from 1500 back to 1300 maximum amps... though with the V3 it's more like 1600 to 1300 amp reduction. I don't expect to see any battery damage related to performance usage with a max of 1300 amps. At least till this point no one has reported an issue with insane mode.
I think I know what you meant. My point is if the current is limited to 1300 amps you'll do less damage to your battery than 1600 amp. It's less, but your particular battery may still fail sooner if you drive aggressively with 1300 amps vs someone who is more conservative but has 1600 amps available.

Last edited:
I think I know what you meant. My point is if the current is limited to 1300 amps you'll do less damage to your battery than 1600 amp. It's less, but your particular battery may still fail sooner if you drive aggressively with 1300 amps vs someone who is more conservative but has 1600 amps available.
I don't know of any evidence to support your thinking - that someone with 1300 amps max can cause battery damage by aggressive driving. There are currently no known insane owners who have triggered the new battery warning, and for that matter none of the P90DL V1 owners have triggered the battery warning yet either. So my thinking is that if I were to roll back the ludicrous update from P90DL to P90D ... I would no longer be capable of inducing battery damage related to the new battery warning. Which would then allow me to keep my car past the 8 year warranty period - and not stress about damaging the battery out of the warranty period via aggressive driving. Since I don't have any way of not driving aggressively. I have tried.

Oh... and for the record... The reason I initially decided to post was because P85Dee (I think it was) in response to this unannounced silent reduction in power commented something along the lines of "This is totally unheard of!!!"...
Well, Dee... Sadly, I have to inform you that, no... It is not... Do you want a rather worn-out and moth-eaten T-shirt?

At this stage of my info-fest, I perceive even more parallels between Drones Just for Idiots and Tesla, one of which being their decision to use GPL code without releasing their source because they think it belongs to them (if I understand things correctly).
I will be giving Dirk a heads-up before long, I think.

Paul..

I don't know of any evidence to support your thinking - that someone with 1300 amps max can cause battery damage by aggressive driving. There are currently no known insane owners who have triggered the new battery warning, and for that matter none of the P90DL V1 owners have triggered the battery warning yet either. So my thinking is that if I were to roll back the ludicrous update from P90DL to P90D ... I would no longer be capable of inducing battery damage related to the new battery warning. Which would then allow me to keep my car past the 8 year warranty period - and not stress about damaging the battery out of the warranty period via aggressive driving. Since I don't have any way of not driving aggressively. I have tried.
The problem is that we have no idea what their algorithm is. Just because it hasn't happened yet with insane, doesn't mean it wont. You might be able to get more wide open throttles at 1300 amps than 1600 amps, but they both put a strain on the cells. Since we don't know the secret algorithm, it's possible you'll only get 1600 / 1300 - 1 ,or 23 %, more wide open throttles.

Last edited:
I'd suggest you to ignore him/her.
From the start of this thread, he's trying to wander of the subject.
Ignore function is very useful.
I wondered why @TIppy was having an argument with themself, I then noticed the post ids and guessed who would play this game... and was right. If someone isn't adding to the debate then let them master debate outside of your view. It's a much nicer day :)

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18 and JRP3
Oh... and for the record... The reason I initially decided to post was because P85Dee (I think it was) in response to this unannounced silent reduction in power commented something along the lines of "This is totally unheard of!!!"...
Well, Dee... Sadly, I have to inform you that, no... It is not... Do you want a rather worn-out and moth-eaten T-shirt?

At this stage of my info-fest, I perceive even more parallels between Drones Just for Idiots and Tesla, one of which being their decision to use GPL code without releasing their source because they think it belongs to them (if I understand things correctly).
I will be giving Dirk a heads-up before long, I think.

Paul..
If you mean @dirkhh, he's already aware

@lolachampcar would you be so kind as to post the link to your "timeline" thread "when does a P become an S?" from the other forum, please? I would post it here myself but would not do so without your permission - I would like (for reference purposes at this stage) for anyone who might be reading at this stage to be able to look at your no-nonsense summary of the timeline of events so that they don't take anything that I might have surmised as a suitable summary of what has happened here.

Cheers.

Paul..

I do - by "aware", do you mean of Tesla's use or the other seemingly unscrupulous bunch of eeDJIts to whom I refer in my first post?

I've asked him to contact me to fill him in on some details but as a newbie, I don't know if I have PM privileges or not at this stage.

Thanks for the response.

Paul..
Dirk has mentioned previously on tmc that a number of contributors, incl himself, were attempting to get TM to abide by the licenses. So, yes, TM's use and modification. No eeDJits ;-).

More details on this thread: Tesla, Linux and the GPL

• Informative
Reactions: PaulKerry
Dirk has mentioned previously on tmc that a number of contributors, incl himself, were attempting to get TM to abide by the licenses. So, yes, TM's use and modification. No eeDJits ;-).

More details on this thread: Tesla, Linux and the GPL

Aye. I know about that and have read that thread. Hence my reasoning for pointing him at the suspected offenders we discovered. I've sent a PM on this board with details. Hopefully, he'll get the info and will be able to check it out. Thanks.

Paul..

I think this is an ongoing danger for people. If you are familiar with a certain amount of performance when passing other vehicles on a two lane highway, and Tesla decided to decrease that without informing you, that's a real problem. Not to mention as you start to pass at 25mph or so everything will seem fine. Then once you're committed at 45 mph, when the new limit kicks in, something doesn't seem right. Is my motor about to fail? Do I continue on? Do I slam on the brakes to try and merge back into my lane's traffic hopping that it hasn't closed in behind me. Do I swerve off the road to avoid the oncoming traffic?

For those of you who have had their battery replaced due to the "Battery Needs Service - Avoid Hard Acceleration" warning, how long did it take to find and install a remanufactured battery? My warning appeared on April 10 so it's been one month now with no ETA. To be clear, they did find an 85 pack but it's hardware ID was not compatible with the Ludicrous upgrade. I'm not sure how rare a remanufactured, Luda-compatible 85 pack is. From what I've read on the forums, I haven't seen another P85DL have this error.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I have been working with Tempe, AZ service center for over 2 months on a resolution to the Ludicrous fiasco Tesla has made. I thought we were close to a settlement, but just when I thought it would happen, Tesla insisted on a non-disclosure agreement. My opinion was that this now made Tesla the winning party and they would have to up what they were offering me. They have declined. The service manager did everything he could in my opinion. This is obviously way higher up the ladder. Today I filed a consumer complaint with the Arizona Attorney General. Should that not resolve this, I have everything just about ready to file in Arizona Small Claims Court. It won't completely compensate me, but if everyone does this, maybe Tesla will listen. This was not something I wanted to do, but like many here, I feel cheated and deceived. My wife told me she will no longer drive the car and wants me to sell it. At 9 months old, that it not an option.

I have been working with Tempe, AZ service center for over 2 months on a resolution to the Ludicrous fiasco Tesla has made. I thought we were close to a settlement, but just when I thought it would happen, Tesla insisted on a non-disclosure agreement. My opinion was that this now made Tesla the winning party and they would have to up what they were offering me. They have declined. The service manager did everything he could in my opinion. This is obviously way higher up the ladder. Today I filed a consumer complaint with the Arizona Attorney General. Should that not resolve this, I have everything just about ready to file in Arizona Small Claims Court. It won't completely compensate me, but if everyone does this, maybe Tesla will listen. This was not something I wanted to do, but like many here, I feel cheated and deceived. My wife told me she will no longer drive the car and wants me to sell it. At 9 months old, that it not an option.
Hi @azdryheat - as you probably already know - I am pursuing an effort to compensate me for the ludicrous option fail. I will PM you to share findings.