Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Correction by Tesla SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's my first post but thanks everyone for all of the great information that's been posted!

I took delivery of a P3D- in September with a 07/19 build date. I used the checklist and everything looked good. I took the car to a detail shop for a full window tint and possible PPF 3 days after delivery. They tinted the windows (ceramic) and did a full detail of the car in preparation for PPF. They also did some minor vinyl wrap work. I got a call that they wouldn't do the PPF due to paint damage from delivery. They said that the car looked like it had been buffed too much all over and had significant hazing/ghosting of the paint (see photos).

0-3.jpg
0.jpeg
0-2.jpg
0-1.jpg
0-4.jpg

I called my sales advisor and was directed to the local service center. I was given the option to return the vehicle (within first 7 days) or to schedule an appointment to have Tesla fix it. The first appointment available was 6 weeks out but given the rarity of the P3D- and the fact that I just invested in some aftermarket work, I took the appointment.

I've read some horror stories of cars coming back worse than before they were dropped off. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with Tesla correcting paint and/or any advice before going in this week for the appointment. Thanks everyone!

I would have asked my trusted detailer the cost of correcting the paint. They are likely much more capable and if they weren't able to fix, then I would return it. Once you have that price you can see what Tesla might be willing to do for you to avoid the return. Seems to me that you already know what Tesla thinks fixing the problem looks like....

I would have asked my trusted detailer the cost of correcting the paint. They are likely much more capable and if they weren't able to fix, then I would return it. Once you have that price you can see what Tesla might be willing to do for you to avoid the return. Seems to me that you already know what Tesla thinks fixing the problem looks like....
They said it would cost about $500 to repair the paint. Clearly I think Tesla should pay for this but I'm nervous about the quality of their repair work.

I would propose to Tesla that they refund you $500 and have a professional detailer that you select do the job.

I tried calling the SC to propose that but never got someone to answer the phone or return a voicemail. I also tried texting back the number that sent me my confirmation but no response there either. Do you suggest I just ask them that when I get the SC for my appointment this week?

You have to decide what is best for you. Personally, I agree with @tvad and @AndrewAllen. At the end of the day, you need to be happy and I don't think waiting for and having Tesla fix this will result in the best final product. It might be cheaper and the cost might be paid by the appropriate party, but you will likely see the results from that choice everyday. I'd get it fixed by my trusted detailer and risk not being able to get the cost refunded. Worth it to me.

How long do you think the turn around time would be with Tesla?
I don’t have personal experience in this matter, but have read enough on this forum to know it could be a lengthy wait. In addition to that the Tesla service center doesn’t specialize of detailing, they may even send this type of work elsewhere. Just my two cents but take it to someone who knows what they are doing and it will be quicker and a better result in the end. A good detailer can knock this out in a day.

Reactions: tvad