Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint flaws in new model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my model Y in February - first available service appointment in May. One of the issues was several black dots under the clear coat on the driver door. They took my car and said it will take a week to fix at the body shop. A day later, they call me and say the car is ready. I was very surprised and I went to the service center. They put some touch up paint on top of the clear coat to mask some of the dots. Some of the dots they did not even address. The door was not even washed and still very dirty from driving. The paint they used is a different color white so now the flaws are more visible. One of their repairs of one of the black dots already fell off.

I am taking it back to talk to the service manager, but wanted to see how else I can escalate this issue? Is there a customer support number or a way to file a complaint?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Got my model Y in February - first available service appointment in May. One of the issues was several black dots under the clear coat on the driver door. They took my car and said it will take a week to fix at the body shop. A day later, they call me and say the car is ready. I was very surprised and I went to the service center. They put some touch up paint on top of the clear coat to mask some of the dots. Some of the dots they did not even address. The door was not even washed and still very dirty from driving. The paint they used is a different color white so now the flaws are more visible. One of their repairs of one of the black dots already fell off.

I am taking it back to talk to the service manager, but wanted to see how else I can escalate this issue? Is there a customer support number or a way to file a complaint?

This is a $75K car - it should not have paint flaws in the first place, but after my service experience I am quite puzzled
Escalate an issue at Tesla? Good luck.

Bad paint job is par for the course. Thank your lucky stars that’s all that went wrong with your delivery.

Old news flash from glide, unless there are newer reports to be posted here?
Not sure what you are talking about. Are you saying Tesla has learned to paint vehicles overnight?

Because every delivery I have seen this year is still pure trash when it comes to paint.

Nothing has changed in Fremont and I have not seen an example of an Austin built vehicle in the wild.

So you've seen every car that Tesla produces? You must have been on a break and missed my Dec. 2020 produced red MY. Flawless.

Could you provide some proof other than your own personal observations?

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
So you've seen every car that Tesla produces? You must have been on a break and missed my Dec. 2020 produced red MY. Flawless.

Could you provide some proof other than your own personal observations?
I’m not doing market research for you. Feel free to search the forums for “paint” or watch any number of YouTube videos on the topic.

Tesla paint is garbage. Full of defects and incredibly thin. You are free to feel otherwise if you like.

Well, I guess that settles it. Have a nice day...bless your heart!❤️
Does a class action lawsuit settle it for you?

Or how about a paint report from a professional shop?

Or this?

Or how about your one true god, Elon, admitting the paint sucks?

You can go stick your head back in the sand now.

Reactions: Valtteri
Not sure what you are talking about. Are you saying Tesla has learned to paint vehicles overnight?

Because every delivery I have seen this year is still pure trash when it comes to paint.

Nothing has changed in Fremont and I have not seen an example of an Austin built vehicle in the wild.
How many deliveries have you seen this year?

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
How many deliveries have you seen this year?
This issue isn’t limited to a handful of vehicles. I’ve seen plenty of new vehicles on the lots at my deliveries, during trips to service centers, and while charging.

I’ve never seen a single paint job without chips and swirls.

Now that I’ve answered your question, feel free to downvote away because it doesn’t fit your narrative.

This issue isn’t limited to a handful of vehicles. I’ve seen plenty of new vehicles on the lots at my deliveries, during trips to service centers, and while charging.

I’ve never seen a single paint job without chips and swirls.

Now that I’ve answered your question, feel free to downvote away because it doesn’t fit your narrative.

You didn’t answer my question though. I asked you how many deliveries you saw this year.

June 5, 2020 : lawsuit
June 23, 2020.: UK report
March 25, 2020.: YouTube post

Old news.

glide: Why don't you pull your head out of where you've had it for the past 2 years?
Why don’t you let us know what has changed since 2020 with regards to the paint shop at Fremont. We’ll be waiting.

I can’t believe the mental gymnastics fanbois go through defend the sub-standard assembly and fit/finish of Teslas. Sorry, but it’s a known fact.

Reactions: E90alex
The paint on my 2022 MY Shanghai build isn’t as tough as my old VW Tiguan paint. It scratches and chips very easily and it’s only 2k miles in. The Tiguan paint after 15k miles, motorway, lots of road salt - virtually all year where I live and miles of badly surfaced roads with gravel/stones had barely a noticeable mark.

We absolutely love the car, first Tesla, first EV, and had excepted that it wouldn’t be as tough paint wise before we bought it. I hope the next Tesla has better paint and I’m waiting on an MYP hopefully, from Berlin.

Reactions: mangrove79