Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y, paint spotting at delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My husband and I went to the Austin pick-up warehouse for delivery of our MYLR yesterday. We immediately looked at all the exterior multiple times. The entire right side of the car at first looked like vertical water spots dripping down on both doors and the front fender area. The delivery staff tried to wipe & buff out, but it looked like popped bubbles or spots in the clear coat that would not budge. If it was tree sap from going outside, it wasn’t budging even slightly. We refused delivery and said we would return in 1 week to re-inspect. I’m afraid the detail guys will screw up the paint trying to fix it! Hoping I can get a new car with a new VIN if the problem isn’t fixed.

Reactions: BWJ.
texgal: I would cancel this order and start over. I wouldn't want a new car that needed to be re-sprayed at delivery.
@Pianewman - I'm unsure if Tesla staff WOULD attempt to respray the entire right side of the car in just 4 days? We are totally expecting someone to try and "buff it out" and hope we'll take the car. I honestly don't know if canceling the order is easy at this point....but my husband and I DO plan to ask for a totally different model Y if the original car offered looks crummy at the second delivery attempt (coming up on 5-10-24).

@Pianewman - I'm unsure if Tesla staff WOULD attempt to respray the entire right side of the car in just 4 days? We are totally expecting someone to try and "buff it out" and hope we'll take the car. I honestly don't know if canceling the order is easy at this point....but my husband and I DO plan to ask for a totally different model Y if the original car offered looks crummy at the second delivery attempt (coming up on 5-10-24).
I believe that if you refused delivery, you aren't obligated to accept the car, regardless of any repair Tesla makes.
Stand your ground. Do not accept this car.

@Pianewman - interesting, I got a call from the very nice Tesla rep who did my demo drive. I had texted him about my current frustrations...so he called the manager at the pick-up location, and they've already changed out the car for a new one (and gave me a new VIN # to update our car insurance). Fingers crossed the second car looks good at our next pick-up date of 5-10-24.

Reactions: Pianewman