Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint flaws in new model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The paint on my 2022 MY Shanghai build isn’t as tough as my old VW Tiguan paint. It scratches and chips very easily and it’s only 2k miles in. The Tiguan paint after 15k miles, motorway, lots of road salt - virtually all year where I live and miles of badly surfaced roads with gravel/stones had barely a noticeable mark.

We absolutely love the car, first Tesla, first EV, and had excepted that it wouldn’t be as tough paint wise before we bought it. I hope the next Tesla has better paint and I’m waiting on an MYP hopefully, from Berlin.
Count yourself lucky. The Shanghai paint is supposed to be considerably better than what comes out of Fremont.

Count yourself lucky. The Shanghai paint is supposed to be considerably better than what comes out of Fremont.
I do count myself lucky and that’s why I ordered one as it wasn’t coming from the US.

A friend of mine (SUNNYVALE,CA) really wants a Tesla but as he’s OCD and knows that he’ll end up nit picking over every detail he won’t pull the trigger.

IMO the only cars made well in the U.K. are by the Japanese. I had a BMW mini and it must have been made on a Friday afternoon. Total crap fest and riddled with build problems. Great paint job though!

I just had my 2022 wrapped in PPF . I had 4,000 miles on it. Prior to wrap I had 4 tiny area where paint chipped off mostly top of hood and one on rear passenger door. Front if car had some craters from impacts but no paint chipped off. Highly recommend getting at least front PPF and rear passenger doors as rocks ejected from front tires can hit there. Also headlights. I however went full body to ease cleaning a bit.

What I can't believe is the bitterness/anger/vindictiveness of certain posters, condemning any positive Tesla poster as a "fanboi", that continually denies any improvement in Tesla paint QC.

Can someone please post a current reputable evaluation that points out paint inconsistencies? Random posts ("5 deliveries. And during those deliveries I saw probably 100 vehicles total") with observations of a miniscule segment of Tesla production just don't justify blanket accusations of paint failure.

I just had my 2022 wrapped in PPF . I had 4,000 miles on it. Prior to wrap I had 4 tiny area where paint chipped off mostly top of hood and one on rear passenger door. Front if car had some craters from impacts but no paint chipped off. Highly recommend getting at least front PPF and rear passenger doors as rocks ejected from front tires can hit there. Also headlights. I however went full body to ease cleaning a bit.
My Dec 2020 build, no PPF, TX, 27k miles, 5 major road trips, has 5 or 6 minor chips on the front bumper. That is all. Otherwise, flawless, according to a detail shop in business for 15 years. I don't believe I'm the exception to the rule, based on the dozens (not hundreds) of Teslas I've watched being delivered at the Fort Worth Service Center.

What I can't believe is the bitterness/anger/vindictiveness of certain posters, condemning any positive Tesla poster as a "fanboi", that continually denies any improvement in Tesla paint QC.

Can someone please post a current reputable evaluation that points out paint inconsistencies? Random posts ("5 deliveries. And during those deliveries I saw probably 100 vehicles total") with observations of a miniscule segment of Tesla production just don't justify blanket accusations of paint failure.
I don’t know what you’re looking for besides the flurry of people saying the paint is crap. If you want, search the forums and you will see actual photographic evidence.

Please stop defending Tesla. This is why they aren’t getting better.

5 deliveries. And during those deliveries I saw probably 100 vehicles total.

Are you saying all 100 vehicles had visible paint damage? That is impressive especially since most of the time the damage is a speck here or there, you’d have to examine all of them.

Did you take pictures?

I don’t find the Idea they Tesla has to work on their painting quality, but I call bullshit on you personally observing many cars with paint issues.

I have taken two deliveries and both times have found the paint to be fine.

Are you saying all 100 vehicles had visible paint damage? That is impressive especially since most of the time the damage is a speck here or there, you’d have to examine all of them.

Did you take pictures?

I don’t find the Idea they Tesla has to work on their painting quality, but I call bullshit on you personally observing many cars with paint issues.

I have taken two deliveries and both times have found the paint to be fine.
Yes. Every one I saw had damage from rock chips to swirls to fragments embedded in the paint.

I’m not sure why that is surprising to anyone. The paint has been historically crap and now Tesla is experiencing an unprecedented volume of orders. Why would it be getting better? Has the paint shop been shut down for some improvements that I am unaware of? Have they stopped shipping vehicles on uncovered carriers?

I work with a paintless dent removal guy. He has a contract with Rivian for repairing: paint chips, swirls, drips, etc. He does the same for Tesla, and has been doing so for several years.

His opinion? No difference. No dramatically flawed Tesla paint jobs. How many cars does he service? Clearly, NOT ALL OF THEM, because very few require touchup after being trucked in from Fremont.

Yes it is. Tesla paint jobs are notoriously the worst in the auto industry.
I took delivery of a MYLR mid-January. PAINT IS PERFECT.
I was pleasantly surprised after all the noise on TMC about paint.

There have been very, very few reports of poor paintwork on this forum for the last almost year.
I believe the paint shop at Fremont has responded to industry critiques.

It's time to move on from parroting prior tropes, Glide.
There will never be perfection, but the volume of paint issues is gone.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pianewman and glide
I took delivery of a MYLR mid-January. PAINT IS PERFECT.
I was pleasantly surprised after all the noise on TMC about paint.

There have been very, very few reports of poor paintwork on this forum for the last almost year.
I believe the paint shop at Fremont has responded to industry critiques.

It's time to move on from parroting prior tropes, Glide.
There will never be perfection, but the volume of paint issues is gone.
Nope. It isn’t. Parroting painting tropes. What a laugh. It’s a REAL problem. Still.

Here are some video examples from 2022 models. So given your sample size of…one, and my sample size of three, it seems like there is a big problem still.

Nope. It isn’t. Parroting painting tropes. What a laugh. It’s a REAL problem. Still.

Here are some video examples from 2022 models. So given your sample size of…one, and my sample size of three, it seems like there is a big problem still.

You can buy all the edge case and YouTube exaggerations you like.
70% of Tesla cars in the US are delivered to CA. I haven't seen or heard a peep for quite a while here.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
What?? YouTube exaggerations? Are you serious? I've never heard of that.

So, we have several single data points in this thread, posting pro and con, and 10s (100s?) of thousands of Teslas on the road that are NOT posting anything slamming Tesla paint. Numbers don't lie (except in elections, where "alternate truths" reign supreme.)

What?? YouTube exaggerations? Are you serious? I've never heard of that.

So, we have several single data points in this thread, posting pro and con, and 10s (100s?) of thousands of Teslas on the road that are NOT posting anything slamming Tesla paint. Numbers don't lie (except in elections, where "alternate truths" reign supreme.)
if there isn't smoke, there's probably no fire......until someone wants to cause one.

I must be lucky, the paint on my July 2020 build is very good, no complaints. I only did PPF on the high threat arrears and use ZAINO car products (as I have for over 30 years). And as a former OCD Corvette owner with many car show trophies I think I can tell good paint from bad.

I would argue that not many people of any stripe know how to evaluate automotive paint qualities.
Fine. So, as you previously stated, that would account for the many owners who are silent on the subject.

And it does not discount the fact that the paint quality is still crap in 2022 as evidenced by the many people who do care, along with professional paint shops that have examined sample vehicles.

Thanks for proving my point.