Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Protection, Ceramic, etc

What have you done to your M3?

• PPF

Votes: 68 47.9%
  • Ceramic

Votes: 76 53.5%
  • Tint

Votes: 68 47.9%
  • Other

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • None

Votes: 26 18.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to kind of give this a bump. My wife and I are taking delivery of our Model 3 tonight or tomorrow and I am considering both PFF and Ceramic. Hoping anyone who sees this can discuss their reasoning and experience

100% recommend PPF and Ceramic. I do a lot of highway driving at 70+ mph and it helps keep the front looking good. And the ceramic is a godsend in keeping it nice and shiny and makes washing and drying (stuff I do myself) infinitely easier. I usually wash every two weeks even though after two weeks, it still looks pretty fantastic. This is the first car I've ever done this with and I will do it with every car from now on. Would also recommend tinting to keep the interior cooler and keep some UV damage off the seats.

Just picked up my model 3 last friday, one of the windows came scratched up and has to be replaced but other than that the paint seems pretty good.
I was told my car was build on 6/18 so about 2 weeks ago. I plan on applying PPF to the front bumper at least and then possibly a DIY ceramic coating unless I can get a good shop to agree to a reasonable amount for it.
How long do I need to wait to apply the PPF and ceramic? Some sites say 30-60 days, others say newer paint is ok within a week...
I have contacted a few shops but none are super close to me, anyone have recommendations for mid east coast Florida? Thanks

Brought it home new from the dealer with 3 miles on the odo, cleaned it good, and then put three layers of ceramic cQuartz on it over a two day period (since it was raining and I wanted to get multiple layers on before taking it out).

Last edited:
Just picked up my model 3 last friday, one of the windows came scratched up and has to be replaced but other than that the paint seems pretty good.
I was told my car was build on 6/18 so about 2 weeks ago. I plan on applying PPF to the front bumper at least and then possibly a DIY ceramic coating unless I can get a good shop to agree to a reasonable amount for it.
How long do I need to wait to apply the PPF and ceramic? Some sites say 30-60 days, others say newer paint is ok within a week...
I have contacted a few shops but none are super close to me, anyone have recommendations for mid east coast Florida? Thanks

My understanding is that paint on newer cars, including Teslas, does not need a cure time. Not only can you protect it right away, but you should. If you are driving your Tesla during those initial 30 to 60 days unprotected, all sorts of damage to the paint can occur. I personally had Xpel full body PPF applied within a day or two of my taking delivery.

Brought it home new from the dealer with 3 miles on the odo, cleaned it good, and then put three layers of ceramic cQuartz on it over a two day period (since it was raining and I wanted to get multiple layers on before taking it out).

Should have included a picture...

M3 w ceramic.jpg

I only regret not doing ppf on the front due to rock chips on the soft paint. Otherwise a nice paint sealant and a couple hours will protect your paint just fine. Do it once a year and save a ton of $$$

I do have a few paint chips in both bumpers (front from driving, rear from street parking). I agonized over the idea of PFF but in the end decided that I can live without it. I do plan to get small mud-guard type inserts for the wheel wells to protect the body from salt water spray.

I've already purchased the Dr. Color-chip for the pearl white (or as close as one can get), and I'll apply it every six months.

As for the ceramic, I use a no-rinse car wash with wax included that looks pretty good, sometimes after it rains the car looks like it was just washed.

In the end its all about personal preference.

Last edited:
Yes, that is correct. PPF protects (and self heals) unlike anything else on the market. The type of protection offered by ceramic coatings is very similar to high quality sealants and waxes. The unique advantage of a ceramic coating is that it can last years instead of just months.
That's why I'm glad I've been reading a lot of these threads. You and Ckanderson are a wealth of knowledge and helped me figure out how to proceed with mine.
First thing is polish and remove the tiny flaws. Ceramic coat, then PPF across the front to the hood or bra style.
Window tint is on tap in a few weeks. Already used Adams glass sealant on all the exterior windows. Water runs off and no finger marks, even if I try.
Thanks for your help and I'll post pics as I get it done.

Appreciate all the replies you guys! For your viewing pleasure, here’s our M3
Beautiful car! I have the same set up you do and I'm totally in love. I keep finding myself looking for reasons to run an errand or go visiting. Every time I'm back I have to grab a microfiber towel, detail sprayer and shine it back to new
Enjoy and I'll be posting my project as it goes too.

• Love
Reactions: DV_T3SLA
That's why I'm glad I've been reading a lot of these threads. You and Ckanderson are a wealth of knowledge and helped me figure out how to proceed with mine.
First thing is polish and remove the tiny flaws. Ceramic coat, then PPF across the front to the hood or bra style.
Window tint is on tap in a few weeks. Already used Adams glass sealant on all the exterior windows. Water runs off and no finger marks, even if I try.

99.98% of the professionals PPF first, then ceramic coat... doing it the other way around will likely cause the PPF to peel/not adhere.

Reactions: C141medic

I am happy to help!

Just a couple things (which I hope you continue to find helpful and not annoying :) ). First, I suggest you do PPF first, and then put ceramic coat on top of the PPF. You always want to put the PPF down first, so it can bond directly to the paint. Then you put ceramic coating on top of the PPF.

Second, if you are going to put PPF on the front of the car, I highly recommend you do the entire hood and not just a bra style. Overtime, no matter how careful you are, debris and other junk can form along and just under the border of the PPF across the hood. This does not look good. If you can afford to do the entire hood, I highly recommend it!

Would love to see pics when you are done!

Reactions: TyH2009
I am happy to help!

Just a couple things (which I hope you continue to find helpful and not annoying :) ). First, I suggest you do PPF first, and then put ceramic coat on top of the PPF. You always want to put the PPF down first, so it can bond directly to the paint. Then you put ceramic coating on top of the PPF.

Second, if you are going to put PPF on the front of the car, I highly recommend you do the entire hood and not just a bra style. Overtime, no matter how careful you are, debris and other junk can form along and just under the border of the PPF across the hood. This does not look good. If you can afford to do the entire hood, I highly recommend it!

Would love to see pics when you are done!
That's why I put it out here.
I'll stop after paint correction and just keep a light wax until then... Whew!
Definitely looking forward to posting pics soon.
Thanks for everyone's help... Again :rolleyes:

Reviving this thread. Anyone try to ceramic coat themselves? I think i read about it here somewhere but i cannot find that thread. My main question is, what would someone, who did this, recommend as their favorite product for ceramic coating? I.e. a kit perhaps?

Thank you.

Reviving this thread. Anyone try to ceramic coat themselves? I think i read about it here somewhere but i cannot find that thread. My main question is, what would someone, who did this, recommend as their favorite product for ceramic coating? I.e. a kit perhaps?

Thank you.

I did just ceramic coat. Four coats of CarPro cQuartz (not UK), over two days. Easy Peezy.
M3 w ceramic.jpg
DJI_0075.JPG
DJI_0072.JPG

I did just ceramic coat. Four coats of CarPro cQuartz (not UK), over two days. Easy Peezy.
View attachment 446648 View attachment 446651View attachment 446650
I totally missed your reply above saying you did it. Thanks for the product info. Did you claybar it, etc? I.e. how did you clean it up? My X is a year old (demo model) and i just got the front wrapped, and i wanted to get it coated asap, and am wondering what product(s) you used to prep the paint. I realize you just got the car recently, I believe, but maybe you felt the need to prep the surface more than just a wash. Thanks.

It's a ton of prep work to do it right
1. Industrial fall out remover (ex: IronX)
2. Wash
3. Clay
4. Polish
5. IPA wipe down
6. Ceramic

Not here. Had perfect paint upon delivery (when I applied the ceramic coat). No need to scour off clear coat, do paint corrections, clay bar, or anything other than a bath and then ceramic coating. Damn Tesla paint is already thin enough - Unless you have an obvious paint issue, best to back away from the Portercable…

Not here. Had perfect paint upon delivery (when I applied the ceramic coat). No need to scour off clear coat, do paint corrections, clay bar, or anything other than a bath and then ceramic coating. Damn Tesla paint is already thin enough - Unless you have an obvious paint issue, best to back away from the Portercable…
It might have still been a good idea, many contaminants could have gotten on the paint on the drive from the factory to your location.

I doubt you would have to needed to polish, but a clay bar wouldn't have been a bad idea.